Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ladies

Author Topic: Ladies
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
what do you do when a man is hitting on you and you aren't interested?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell him I am not interested, thank him for being nice, and then pay attention to my BlackBerry.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
"A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle."
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Mention my husband.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Mention my husband.

Fishing for a possible menage a trois?
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused, I thought Phanto was a guy. Unless...
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
He is.

I think he's doing research. Maybe trying to figure out whether he'll need protective gear?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
As a guy, I've reconciled the fact that women frequently send signals that I totally miss. Whether the signal is 'I think you're really cute' or 'I'm 5 seconds away from reaching for pepper spray', I still can't decode them.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a guy hitting on me in front of my husband. I kept flashing the wedding ring and mentioning the husband, but the guy didn't get it. My husband got somewhat annoyed and came closer, gave me a kiss, to which I responded with a more passionate kiss at which point the guy went away.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
As a guy, I've reconciled the fact that women frequently send signals that I totally miss. Whether the signal is 'I think you're really cute' or 'I'm 5 seconds away from reaching for pepper spray', I still can't decode them.

Herman!

My personal solution is to ask questions like "Do you like me?" and "Are you thinking of spraying me with mace right now?"

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. That really made me laugh. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell him I'm married.
If that doesn't work ( and it somtimes doesn't) I pick my nose.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:

I second that.

I had a discussion much like this with a friend of mine the other day who was complaining about guys never picking up her signals.

I responded that if she wanted a guy who picked up signals, she either needed to date a Boy Scout or a traffic controller, cause the rest of us aren't getting it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's because men and women just have totally different means of communicating.

A girl thinks she's giving a guy a clear signal by looking at him and touching her hair. The guy just assumes (if he even notices her touching her hair, which is doubtful) her hair is itching her neck, never for a second thinking the hair touch has anything to do with him.

A girl thinks she's being overly forward by touching a guy's elbow as she brushes past him at a party. The guy thinks he's in her way, and hurries to move.

And so goes the dance...

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Actually, rivka, I've played on both teams -- guess which one is more fun [Razz] ? ^^;;
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

You've been both a man and a woman?

Aren't you like 19 or 20?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm generally the one who doesn't pick on signals until it is too late. I'm usually clued in when he gets pissy, acts, hurt, and then is rude for the next week. Gyah!

As a side note, I think the "You like me, I can't tell" is the worst approach ever. It's asking me to be vulnerable without giving me a reason to be. Of course I'm going to brush him off and turn it into a joke! Of course! ESPECIALLY if it's true! I might not if I have time to realize what's happening, but I have no spinal reflexes to be brave.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think girls are all that hard to read. I'd share my secrets but then all you girls would get together and revise your codes just to remain enigmatic.

[Wink]

I think a fundamental thing is eye contact. When I like a girl she gets more eye attention than anyone else in the room, and I am certain it's vice versa. Girls are pretty good at not getting caught staring, but when they like you, they just can't help it. With a few creative maneuvers you can quickly figure out if a girl is looking at you more than is common. It's very rare to lock eyes and have a girl give you an encouraging expression to further things along. It's equally likely that if you do stare into each others eyes you might have some bit of food on your face.

If you do happen to catch them looking they usually snap their eyes off into another direction. The trick THEN is to watch what direction their face is pointing. If their face is pointing in one direction but their eyes are continually glancing off center they are deliberately trying to look interested in something else. Think about it, if you are looking at something do you ever NOT point your nose at it and stare straight ahead? Try it, just look at something off to the side without moving your head and hold it, it doesn't feel very natural.

The only time folks look in a direction without moving their head is when they are trying to look like they are minding their own business. Cheaters during classroom exams do this all the time.

Quick Note: If a girl has just avoided your gaze often the head goes with the eyes. You need to wait about 20 second for the head to slowly reposition so that it takes the minimal amount of effort to shift the eyes towards you and away.

In my entire life I think I've only had one girl out and out tell me she wasn't interested and that she just wanted to remain friends. I think this is a function of me not throwing myself at alot of girls, and not responding too strongly to small flirtatious acts when they happen.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Wife: Were you looking at that woman?
Me: Want the honest answer or the proper one?
Wife: Proper one.
Me: I have no reason to look at anyone else, dear.
Wife: Nice. And the honest one?
Me: Of course I looked. I'm married. I'm not dead.

I don't remember anything after that.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Conversation #1:

Wife: She's really pretty.
Me: Yeah.

End of conversation.

#2:

Me: She's sort of pretty.
Wife: Do you wish I looked more like her?
Me (to myself): what did I do to deserve this?
(to wife): No, of course not. I love the way you look.
Wife: Hmph.

Wife then doesn't have much to say to me for a while.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Blackblade--I don't have trouble picking up basic signals any more.

But it didn't come naturally--I had to do research in college--practicing on platonic female friends and reading some of the literature out there. What I learned helped me immensely in having more relaxed, fun conversation with girls. It's more important to not be "in your head", constantly analyzing every little thing she's doing--but in the moment instead.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I love the fact that that post rhymed, if inadvertently.
2. I feel like I'm pretty dang good at picking up on signals and blackblade explains it better than I could. Note this is not to say I'm some sort of casanova getting all the dates, I'm quite shy, however observative.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

yep rivka! Not all the way though [Razz] . I was an adventerous/rebellious teen ^_^
rivka
Member # 4859

I have no idea what that means . . .
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I HAVE TO WASH MY HAIR
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Me: Heh, she's hot
D: Yeah definetly
Ms.C: You think so?
D: Of course I think so!
Me: Heh heh heh
Ms.C: stop laughing...
Me: no
Mr.Q: What are you guys talking about?
Me: How hot D is

Heh heh heh, this happened 4 hours ago...

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.