FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Book Recommendation Needed- History/Geography Related

Author Topic: Book Recommendation Needed- History/Geography Related
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm taking a Geography class in college and it's kicking my trash. I never grew up looking at maps or caring about history, and that's a big problem when it comes to this class.

I just don't have the foundation I need to understand what's going on as we study regions. Obviously I've spent extra time with the text.

I'm looking for some kind of supplemental reading, to help me be more familiar with the history of the world and it's geography.

Obviously that is a huge topic. I'm just curious if anyone had any suggestions

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything in particular? What's the scope of the class?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Guns Germs and Steel!
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Semi-serious suggestion: watch old episodes of Where in The World (and Where in Time) Is Carmen Sandiego? Unfortunately, that seems to be easier to suggest than to actually do -- I can't find complete episodes for purchase or download.

Actually, the original Broderbund games would be better, but that's really impossible.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
This may be a stupid question, but do you have an atlas? There are some great atlases by DK publishing that are clear and easy to read. Some are for children, but even those have some great information and good maps. And might be cheaper.

http://us.dk.com/nf/Search/QuickSearchProc/1,,atlas,00.html?id=atlas

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my geography comes from playing Risk.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I'm not a huge fan of the book, plaid's suggestion is actually a good one, although it might not give you quite the right background that you need. Nevertheless, I think it's worth checking a copy out the library and seeing if it does fit the bill.

Or, there's wikipedia. There's The History of the World for your human history, The History of Earth for your more geological/geographical/natural history. I can't think of a more comprehensive source for factual history which at the same time allows you to go into detail precisely when you need to.

The suggestion for having a good atlas and globe at hand is a good one. If you're unfamiliar with the regions being discussed in books, articles or your class, being able to put your finger on them physically will be pretty helpful.

Watching any historical or natural history non-fiction tv show will help you, although some are better quality than others. The BBC is almost always excellent.

A side note: I'm not sure how much you know, but I find it astonishing that you have reached a crisis point like this with regards to history and geography (but then I'm a history major). I believe there is a discussion on the forum about the importance or non-importance of taking classes outside your field. If there ever was a convincing argument, I think we found it.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

The scope of the class is just a general geography. We're going over regions and learning about the people and the climate and whatnot.

It kind of seems like the class I'm in should be the kind of overview I need. Thank you for the suggestions. My ignorance is frustrating to say the least. I do have an atlas and the course text.

It's not so much a crisis point I think, but more of my own personal crisis. If I studied the stuff I needed to, I think I could ace all the tests and pass the class, but I don't feel like that is really the purpose. Its kind of opened my eyes to how little I know about the world.

I think I'm going to start reading more of the world section in the newspaper as well. Should help a fair bit.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it, but National Geographic did a documentary based on Guns, Germs, and Steel, that's worth checking out...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
You might enjoy reading some of James Micheners novels. He has several which that explore the geography, history and culture of different regions.

His books are fiction but set in a mostly accurate historical context. Make sure you read the disclaimers in the beginning that identify which parts are history and which are fiction.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a very good comic book called "History of the world". I forget who made it. Its a very good and quick tour of the world and of history.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you might be thinking about the Cartoon History of the Universe.

That would be a good resource, actually. It covers everything up to the modern world in two fairly large volumes, then has a slightly smaller volume covering the modern world.

I'd start with Part One, then get Part Two when you finish that. It is well worth the investment, and you'll find yourself re-reading it.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

Well I bought Guns germs and Steel. I'll let you guys know how it goes. The cartoon history of the universe is actually quite tempting as well. I'll see if this one helps out.

Thanks guys!

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that book, although I don't completely agree with all of his conclusions. I also really enjoyed the documentary about it, and found it was more accessible to most people.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.