FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So...Winter is happening soon... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So...Winter is happening soon...
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, FWIW, my parents and grandparents always bundled the kids up in Land's End gear, and I never got cold. I'd count that as a positive. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is what you need to get ready for winter: http://dvice.com/archives/2008/10/snowball_launch.php
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Selran. Coats, schmoats. THAT'S what I need!
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Selran:
Here is what you need to get ready for winter: http://dvice.com/archives/2008/10/snowball_launch.php

I'm afraid you'll find that Wyoming get dry, cold, powdery snow which is great for skiing, but really poor snowball material
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me repeat the lotion suggestion. Although I don't follow it myself until my knuckles are cracked and bleeding, so I'm sure you'll figure it out on your own at some point, if necessary.

If you have a yard with sprinklers, you MUST shut them off at the underground stop-and-waste valve, and remove/winterize any above-ground parts. (My house has an above-ground anti-backflow valve.) It might be a good idea to pack your culinary water access box with insulation as well.

When you get a chance, use an empty snow-covered parking lot for practice driving. Driving in the snow eventually isn't difficult or excessively hazardous, but you need the practice to get a feel for how your vehicle behaves. Even people who drive in snow every winter seem to need to get a little practice each year; the first snowy day sees a lot of fender benders and things get better toward January and February.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AirLightTimeSpace
Member # 11806

- posted      Profile for AirLightTimeSpace           Edit/Delete Post 
For me a scarf is essential. [As Xavier also said, a hat (or earmuffs if hair is a concern) may be just as essential. Wool socks and a thermal shirt are nice too.] But I've made it through negative wind chills with just a shirt, sweater and a good scarf.

If you:
1) fold your scarf in half,
2) drape it flat over the back of your neck,
3) thread the two ends through the loop you made when folding,
4) then tighten and wear the ends over the chest,
5) you may feel unstoppable.

This is especially nice for pea coats and the like which don't comfortably cover the neck and chest area. I've also known some people to lose their heat through their upper back, so you may find more comfort flipping the scarf around.

And for deep freezes, lock de-icer is a must! And a windshield wiper fluid with de-icer is an amazing luxury when one has no time to piddle with frost.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.