FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doctor Who News *Huge Spoiler* (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Doctor Who News *Huge Spoiler*
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
David Tennant Quits

When he first appeared on the show, I never imagined how brilliant he'd be.

He'll be missed. And I find myself wondering how I'm going to watch Ten die without sobbing like a tiny little girl.

Now let the replacement speculation begin!

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
They're going to have to find a loophole for the whole Timelords can only regenerate 12 times thing pretty soon at this rate.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love this part, and I love this show so much that if I don't take a deep breath and move on now I never will, and you'll be wheeling me out of the Tardis in my bath chair.
Ok, sad as it makes me, I think I can respect that. And Ten's had a rough time of it lately. It kinds of messes with the Future-Wife storyline, but that's ok. I can forgive that.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Many people accosiated with the Doctor have managed at one time or another to recognize a later or earliar incarnation of the Doctor.

But ya.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

nooooooooooo!

noooo....

no..... come back.... [Frown]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
Ok, sad as it makes me, I think I can respect that. And Ten's had a rough time of it lately. It kinds of messes with the Future-Wife storyline, but that's ok. I can forgive that.

Why does it mess with it? She didn't realize it was him until he said he was the Doctor. She clearly married a different incarnation.

Edit: I got confused. I heard he was leaving like a couple of weeks ago. I thought he was leaving even sooner. You scared me.

But wow... I didn't realize that his accent in the show wasn't his real accent.

Btw, the next Doctor will actually be the 12th. David Tennant was the 10th and 11th Doctors. Just because he didn't change his appearance the last time he regenerated (sending the excess energy into his hand) doesn't mean he isn't a new incarnation.

[ October 29, 2008, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
He's going to be in a few more episodes before he's out.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd heard he was "most likely" leaving sometime last winter. I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere on hatrack, too.

But yeah--won't be the same without Tennant.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I'm going to sob like a girl too...

Oh wait...

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Queen Elizabeth recognized him in The Shakespeare Code. I wonder if they're going to explain that one before they replace him.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
They're going to have to find a loophole for the whole Timelords can only regenerate 12 times thing pretty soon at this rate.

That's EXACTLY what I thought.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But wow... I didn't realize that his accent in the show wasn't his real accent.
Seriously? Huh. I read about it enough times that I knew that before I watched the extras and heard it. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah. They'll probably have a lot of fun with it being a major plot point for the 13th Doctor. It'll probably end up being something cosmic involving the White Guardian or somesuch.

There was a 6th Doctor story ("Trial of a Timelord") which had a future evil version of the Doctor (the Valeyard) who existed somewhere between the 12th and final incarnation of the Doctor, according to the Master. Nothing more was ever done with that; it wasn't a very interesting plot twist, I'd be surprised if it's ever brought up again.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
Queen Elizabeth recognized him in The Shakespeare Code. I wonder if they're going to explain that one before they replace him.

The Doctor can have off-screen adventures in the books, which I believe are considered canon.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:

Why does it mess with it? She didn't realize it was him until he said he was the Doctor. She clearly married a different incarnation.

No, she recognizes him right off. The first thing she says to him, before he says a word to her, is, "Hello, Sweetie." Also, when she does the compare diaries thing, when she is trying to figure out where in his time line he is, she mentions several adventures that they have had together; presumably in his current incarnation, or she wouldn't have mentioned them. I am really hoping that at least one of the specials features River Song. I suppose we will just have to assume that their other adventures happen offscreen, presumably in between the specials. Maybe they can do radio plays?

I wouldn't mind him leaving if it weren't for two things:
1) That they took a whole year off so that he could do Hamlet and he quits anyway. (Yes, yes, I know. This is not the official excuse. They are all tired from doing *gasp* THIRTEEN episodes a year. The creative team are running out of ideas and must take a year off to keep everything fresh. The creative team are all quitting, and the new people need a whole year to get the hang of what's going on. The BBC is poor and cannot spend the money on an entire season of Dr. Who right now. Yeah, none of those sound very convincing to me either.)
and
2) The regeneration that wasn't. It was just so shocking. We went into a tizzy thinking he had regenerated. But no. Ha, ha! We were just yanking your chain. David Tennant is not going anywhere, why would he want to? But no. Ha, ha! We fooled you again. He really does want to leave, and is only staying for 4 more episodes.

Am not a happy camper tonight.

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Amilia: no, she says in the episode that she didn't recognize him at first. She said "Hello, Sweetie" because she thought he was attractive.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure? I just watched that episode (well, parts, so I might have missed it) again. When she takes him off to the side to speak privately, she says, "You're doing a fairly good job of pretending not to know me. I assume there is a reason why?" I had the distinct impression that she was just playing along with him in pretending not to know him.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
"You're doing a fairly good job of pretending not to know me. I assume there is a reason why?"
I thought that was because she assumed it was a FUTURE incarnation and didn't realize that they had not yet met.
fugu13
Member # 2859

That was my assumption as well, kq.

I'm pretty sure she says she didn't recognize him at first. *adds to mental list of episodes to rewatch*

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

why cant we just email Moffat and ask him?
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Tenant on a few episodes of Heroes? I believe he played the guy who could turn invisible.

Oh no, correction. That was Christopher Eccleston, the previous "Doctor Who."

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

The Doctor is NOT NAMED WHO! Tha is just the name of the show and the injoke on the show, it is never his name, never has been his name. His real name is a mystery.
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
there there, Blayne.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Blayne, the correct form is "Doctor Who?" with a question mark.

I would also ask "Doctor What?" I mean, is he an MD, or a PhD--and if so, in what field(s)?

If he is simply "The Doctor," as he himself says numberous times, then he is implying he is the cure, the answer. And I would ask, for what?

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell if you're kidding. I hope you're kidding.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Its more of a "Doctor of Everything" is what he generally says but if the earlier serials are correct he first got the title after helping a war hospitol in time of crisis. I seem to recall other Time lords sneering at him taking so lowely a title as "Doctor".
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Katharina, I hope you're kidding.

Blayne--so you're saying he really does claim to be an M.D.

I always hoped he was in the business of doctoring the time line, but this seems less and less likely, as each successive episode shows him to be totally devoid of any method or organized purpose.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
He's not a doctor, he's just the Doctor. What that name/title implies about his nature is entirely up to us to interpret. I don't know much about the old series, but I doubt he's ever offered much clarification on the matter.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Katharina, I hope you're kidding.

Blayne--so you're saying he really does claim to be an M.D.

I always hoped he was in the business of doctoring the time line, but this seems less and less likely, as each successive episode shows him to be totally devoid of any method or organized purpose.

Do you even watch the show? And no, he doesn't claim per se to ever have a degree in anything or even everything but it is heavily implied he is some kind of engineer.

He has a purpose, and a method, his purpose is to help people that he comes across, make them better people. And his method is to travel in time and space until he finds people who need his help.

He's a wanderer, with a dark past and who has done terrible things, he can't help but mirander around because hes trying to escape the fact that it was HIM who caused the destruction of Galifrey you have to some extant know this to understand his motivations, he runs but whenever he finds people who need his help he stops by and helps them.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Owning a tardis means that a previous incarnation can show up after a later incarnation. eg Nothing prevents Eccleston from being the Doctor in 2010.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Eccleston only signed on for a year, I highly doubt hes coming back, he wanted to avoid being typecasted.
katharina
Member # 827

Have you ever actually WATCHED the show, Ron? You've got everything so wrong I think you've been watching the Canadian version.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Katharina, you mean the Canadians have a separate version? I thought it was all a BBC production. Once in a while I can watch Doctor Who on the local Canadian station in Windsor, but most of the time I watch it on the BBC America channel--when I want to. Admittedly, it is not my favorite show. Too quaint.

Aspectre, that is a good thought! And I do remember at least one episode where the Doctor doubled back on himself in time, to save himself from being marooned in time without his Tardis. It would be cool to have Eccleston do a cameo, just so we could have both incarnations of the Doctor at once. We could call one "Doctor Who," and the other "Doctor Whom."

katharina
Member # 827

Okay, you definitely don't actually watch the show.

None of that fits in the universe. It's fine in a different show altogether, but not the one that's the topic of this thread.

katharina
Member # 827

To clarify, the show is called Doctor Who, sans question mark. You can even talk about the main character of the show as Doctor Who when it is clear he is being spoken of as a character.

There is no question mark.

The character is NEVER called Doctor Who within the show. His name is the Doctor, and that's it.

You can say "David Tennant is ending his run on Doctor Who" or even "David Tennant is ending his run as Doctor Who", although the last one is close, but there would NEVER be a line of dialogue where the character says "My name is Doctor Who." Because it isn't.

Research, man, research.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Aldo they have many shows where Doctor's have met each other, mostly in older serials but in "Time Crash" The 5th(?) met the 10th.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
*sniffle*
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Just to add some suspense...
The name of the actor playing Eleven is going to be announced tomorrow (at 17.35 GMT - subtract 5 hours for EST).
And will presumably hit the interweb one second later.

Last chance to place your bets.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Not Eleven. Twelve. The current Doctor is Eleven; he regenerated, but didn't let himself change appearance.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

I'm pretty sure they explained that Ten didn't regenerate at all - the energy which would have regenerated him became the human who went off with Rose.

I know it doesn't make much sense, but that's what seemed to have happened.

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Squeee!!!
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
I'm pretty sure they explained that Ten didn't regenerate at all - the energy which would have regenerated him became the human who went off with Rose.

I know it doesn't make much sense, but that's what seemed to have happened.

Except that he was mortally wounded. So he did regenerate. He just decided to dispose of the excess, which would have changed him.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Pedant.

[Wink]

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that the creators of the show, depending on its popularity post-Tennant, can and will find a loophole in the number of regenerations achieved and/or achievable by the Doctor [Smile]
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
He's the 10.5th doctor!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, I wish they could keep it a secret until they aired it.

I'm sure that's impossible; they have too many fans that watch the filming; but I'd love to be just as surprised seeing the new Doctor as I was when Christopher Eccleston regenerated into David Tennant. (Of course, I'm not in England; if I was, that wouldn't have been a secret either.)

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
He's the 10.5th doctor!

He's still the tenth Doctor. And he's gone through 10 regenerations, which should make him the eleventh. But as he didn't change his appearance, he's still the tenth Doctor. It's just now he only has two regenerations left before the writers have to do their magic or end the series, as opposed to three.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Matt Smith is the new Doctor. He has been in a lot of theatre. You may know him as playing the young Harry in In Bruges.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* I don't know how I feel about this.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

What's "Doctor Who at the Proms"?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.