FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OSC's essay "America Unplugged"

Author Topic: OSC's essay "America Unplugged"
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC's essay on Obama's plans reads like something Demosthenes would write, doesn't it?

"Real intellectuals are skeptical and look for evidence before they embrace an idea; global warming, like the rest of the dogmas of the extreme Left, are believed without proof, by faith alone."

-> So, be a 'real intellectual' and regard the facts: whether you 'believe' in global warming or not, fossil fuels won't last forever. There is enough proof of that. Of course it's expenssive and takes some rethinking, but when do you want to start to save energy? When there's nothing at all left to be burned?

"Obama and his elitist friends think they're smart, but they don't live on planet Earth, they live in a playhouse where they can make huge messes with their stupid policies, and then pretend that the mess is someone else's fault while they hope for some invisible mommy to come and clean it up."

-> Which mess? I rather think that 'Obama' is not the name that belongs at the beginning of this sentence.

What do you think? I don't live in the USA, but if I did, I'd rather be glad to have Obama for President.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
"are believed without proof, by faith alone"
"pretend that the mess is someone else's fault while they hope for some invisible mommy to come and clean it up"

Aren't these just descriptions of a theistic belief system? Kind of funny to hear a deeply religious man demonizing people for behaving too religiously.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
It is, essentially, a kind of a dumb article.

That's different than just being an article that you disagree with due to fundamental premises. It's dumb. It's just rhetoric, invective, and bald assertions. Hate to sound like a broken record, but these world watch articles have been sucking recently, and I guess it's old news now. Whatever.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
The funniest part to me is his allusion to Zeus. I wonder if OSC knows that Richard Dawkins also uses Zeus in his theological arguments... in favor of Atheism. ("I don't believe in God the same way you don't believe in Zeus.")

Another 10 points for basically saying that ancient religions are no more than myths because the answers they provided are obsolete... It's like he's making an Atheist's arguments for them.

What is it called when you make broad statement about everyone's beliefs, but don't apply it to your own? The term eludes me.

I also like how he jumps on every single little Oratory blunder that Obama makes, while being an adamant supporter of Bush... the biggest blunderer of them all (in his speech).

Is this what Jaded looks like?

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.