FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dollhouse - Timeslot of Death

Author Topic: Dollhouse - Timeslot of Death
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39002

So Dollhouse will get the timeslot of death. Friday nights at 9pm.

Terminator will get the other timeslot of death, one hour earlier.

Get your Save-Dollhouse.com and Save-Terminator.com websites while they're still available, boys and girls.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!

I shouldn't laugh, but come on! I mean... Wow...

quote:

Sci-fi shows cancelled in Fox’s Friday Death Slot:

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. (1993)
MANTIS (1994)
Strange Luck (1995)
Sliders (1996)
Millennium (1996)
The Visitor (1997)
Harsh Realm (1999)
Freakylinks (2000)
Dark Angel (2000)
The Lone Gunmen (2001)
John Doe (2003)
Firefly (2003)

I was mentally forming a list before I clicked on the link. I think they forgot VR-5
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Its like a bad joke that your office coworker can't stop telling!

Argh!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Why on earth is Josh working with Fox again?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Joss?

Because, baby, this time I've really changed. I just love you so much that the thought of losing you makes me go a little, well, crazy. I promise I won't hit or push you anymore, even when you make me SO MAD AT YOU by producing really good sci-fi TV for a commercial audience that's largely unprepared for it.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Josh who?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Dark Angel (2000)
The Lone Gunmen (2001)
John Doe (2003)
Firefly (2003)

These to me were good shows.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
It seemed to me like all the shows I loved as a kid all aired on Fridays on NBC, and all got cancelled.

V (The show, not the miniseries)
The Master
Misfits of Science

I think Automan and Whiz Kids were part of that mix, too, but I can't quite remember.

I think it was, literally, NBC would take my favorite show off the air, replace it with my new favorite show, then take THAT off the air, replace it with my NEW favorite show, etc, etc, etc.

Then ABC came out with Sledge Hammer!, and I was all like, "See ya, NBC!"

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Nerds are home on Friday nights!

^ Fox Logic

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
X-Files had that time slot for the first couple of years. And yeah, my idea of fun on Friday night in high school was to watch X-Files with my friends.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he's racing Chris Carter for most number of television shows canceled by Fox [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:

Some people will do anything to be around Eliza Dushku all day.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Putting aside the specific reasons in this case... who else is there? Can you really imagine a Joss Whedon series getting aired on ABC, CBS, or NBC? Maybe the CW, I suppose. Or premium cable. But for unconventional series over the air, Fox is practically the only game in town.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:

Some people will do anything to be around Eliza Dushku all day.
*raises hand*
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
TNT's doing rather a lot of good drama these days. They usually do more conventional fare, but they might be talked into a cult hit that brings the intensity.

There's also the SciFi channel. They seem to be taking steps to give us good shows. Mostly paid for by other people, though.

Spike's an untapped market. I don't know if they've got the money yet to produce their own stuff, but they've got the young male demographic.

Maybe Joss needs to go write for the BBC. The guys who fund Dr Who would do fine with Whedon fare.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot Wonderfalls.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
Spike's an untapped market. I don't know if they've got the money yet to produce their own stuff, but they've got the young male demographic.

I believe Spike's original programming runs along the lines of MANswers in lieu of anything worth watching...
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Spike actually have the demographic? I was intrigued by the "channel for men" thing but the only things I've run across on that channel that I've wanted to watch are:
1) A Sports Illustrated swimsuit special 3 or 4 years ago, and even those get old so it's not like they can re-run it constantly.
2) Re-runs of shows from other networks that I don't consider to be particularly targeted at the young male demographic.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget CSI reruns, Carrie. CSI is to Spike as Law and Order is to TNT.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
*sob*
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Garg.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what we all have to do: watch it online, as often as possible, from different computers. Hulu.com and Fox.com are the places to go. Show them online, on-demand distribution is the way of the future, and we don't subscribe to their oppressive "time slots"!
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
"Show them online, on-demand distribution is the way of the future"

You forgot "impossible to monetize" [Wink] jk, but only partly. I'd like to know whether hulu.com is making enough money to actually support production of new material.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to unthrow a damper on this thread, but it's slightly possible that this might not turn out to be a disaster. I mean, I think it will, but I just read something which suggested otherwise. I'll be very, very surprised if this guy turns out to be right, but it's worth considering, at least.

Link

quote:
Friday -- The Whedonverse is already in an uproar, all "Not again, FOX!" and "Woe is Joss!" and "We won't get fooled again!" And don't get me wrong, premiering the show on Friday the 13th (of February) is almost like a bad joke. But here's the reality: Dollhouse could be the best show ever made and it would have gotten crushed in the Monday 8 p.m. time slot. Between Chuck, Gossip Girl and How I Met Your Mother/ Big Bang Theory, young viewers were already spoken for, as Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was finding out on a week-to-week basis. Throw in that ABC show where alleged celebrities allegedly dance and it was a recipe for disaster, especially since a slow start for Dollhouse would have doomed 24, which FOX wouldn't have allowed, leading to an early cancellation. On Fridays, FOX can afford to be a smidge more patient, while the competition isn't nearly as stiff, going up basically against Ghost Whisperer and MyNetworkTV's wrestling. In addition, Dollhouse is paired with T:TSCC. Although most Terminator viewers would, correctly, tell you that the show has been really good for the past four or five episodes, the ratings have been dreadful, probably because of the myriad Monday 8 p.m. draws for young male viewers. Put on Friday, with an already-inked promise for a full season (not that that means much to FOX), Terminator can almost get a reboot and it's excellently matched with Dollhouse. I'm not saying this is the best chance for Dollhouse to succeed -- though maybe FOX will find a way to give it an Idol boost of some sort -- but it may be its best chance not to fail quickly. I could be totally wrong on this hunch, of course.
Of course, there's the view from Hijinks Ensue...
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.