FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The iPhone and moving abroad? [mayfly]

Author Topic: The iPhone and moving abroad? [mayfly]
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wanting an iPhone for awhile and I finally have a job that will allow me to afford the extra cost per month. I've been using cell phones for the last seven or eight years, but I think I've only ever paid for one phone and I share a cheap family plan with my family so just throw my dad a $20 bill each month.

So I'm alittle confused once plans start getting complicated and I actually pay for a phone. So here's my situation:

My goal is to move to Japan sometime next fall. Fortunately, I've heard that I can avoid termination fees if I move abroad.

However, it seems like I wouldn't be able to take the iPhone I purchased with me to Japan and just transfer it to a wireless company there.

I hear talk about illegally unlocking iPhones or "routing it through Vonage" but I don't know what's feasible.

I guess I always could just give the lower-end iPhone to my mom or my brother when I leave and just buy another when I get there, but is there a way around this?

I would also welcome any suggestions for affordable phone service while abroad because I know I will get homesick and need to call people back in the States. There's VOIP but my mom got nervous when I started explaining it (she's a technology-illiterate).

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to strongly, strongly discourage you from trying this, even if someone tells you it is possible. It is notoriously difficult for foreigners to obtain access to cellular plans in Japan- they are reserved for citizens only.

In fact, it's quite possible that any route you take, you will have the devil's own time getting a legit cell phone in Japan at all.

And aside from that, the American GSM networks are different frequencies from the Euro and Japanese equivalents, so compatibility of hardware is an issue. Euro-phones generally work in America, but not the other way around, and I know Japan has it's own network protocols and frequencies that are also unique.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Just stick with a local cell phone at the moment. If you manage to move to Japan, your alien registration card will let you purchase a cell phone and plan; at that point get an iPhone.

Btw, since your plans seem a little vague, how are you planning to move to Japan?

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'd fly there.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
Personally, I'd fly there.

Psh. Lack of imagination.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to fly to Japan, but I only got as far as the channel and my arms got tired.

Why not wait a little and buy a super-groovy US compatible phone in Japan? In Tokyo you could go to the Akihabara area, which is reputed to have the largest concentration of electrical stores in the world. In 6-12 months you'll by finding stuff that makes an iPhone look like a couple of tin cans tied together with string...

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.