FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Converting Thor (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Converting Thor
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
Dante I still have a copy of the first five pages, pretty good actually. His writing is really visual (of course it has to be its a movie).

Orincoco those are not fragments, whatever do you mean when you say such things?
What the hell do you mean? Your not even quoting me there. There's no way I would say anything positive about that script. It sucked.
I'm pretty sure he was just pointing out that he uses complete sentences. Of course, I wouldn't brag about the grammar in the innermost quote, but that's neither here nor there.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...where is it?

Let's ask Schroedinger.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Mike, I get it.

T: those are sentence fragments, or fragment clauses. When you say: "pretty good actually," without adding the third person singular pronoun "it," you are using a fragment. There is nothing really appallingly wrong with fragmented sentences- they can be effective, but you should know that you are doing it.

As a general rule of thumb, sentences (or dependent/independent clauses) require a Subject, a Verb, and an Object. If you leave one of these elements out (along with a few others I won't go into), then you are most likely implying the presence of the omitted part of speech. So in "pretty good actually," you have omitted the subject and verb, which is the script, or "it is." You've included only the adjective and adverb; everyone knows what you're talking about, but the sentence is still a fragment.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dante I still have a copy of the first five pages, pretty good actually.
Inserting "it is" after the comma would be just as bad, unless he changes the comma into a semicolon. It'd be better to use "which are"; not scintillating prose, exactly, but at least grammatically correct. (Look, ma, a fragment! [Wink] ) The worst offense IMHO is the lack of punctuation after "Dante".

*sits back and awaits the inevitable consequences of Davidson's law*

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, I had it in mind to change it to semicolon and use a contraction, "it's." I just wrote it out that way to show how it might be made into a complete clause. As a dependent clause, "which is," followed by a comma is more appropriate.

If you are using "the first five pages," as a phrasal chunk, it would actually be singular, not plural. There is no hard and fast rule- it just depends on whether you want to refer to the pages separately or as a whole.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.