FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Buffy boxed set on sale at Amazon, again

Author Topic: Buffy boxed set on sale at Amazon, again
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've seen people post about these sales in the past, so thought someone might be interested. This time it's up for $69.99--not bad, for seven seasons.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox?_encoding=UTF8&tag=twitterbot-20

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the deal just for today?
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. And it may not last out the day, depending on sales.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

Well, I cracked and went ahead and bought it. I was waiting for the deal but expected it later. Guess I gotta watch my spending until my next paycheck.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I bought this boxed set several weeks ago, for about $40 more.

Ah well, I'll just consider that $40 well earned for the HOURS of happiness they've brought me.

Enjoy your purchase, Shanna.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so...

My husband & I loved Firefly. I used to catch an episode or two of Buffy back in high school, but I never really watched it.

Sell me on it, Hatrack.

(P.S. Our other major tv show loves are BSG, Arrested Development, and House, along with most National Geographic programming.)

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly was great, but since it was cut so short it never got to live up to its potential. Buffy did.

The character development is superb and the writing is witty. I also love that there's a different flavor to every season. To me, what made Firefly so successful was that the writers truly cared about their characters. The characters have their weaknesses and their strengths and both are clearly explored. This is just as true in Buffy.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought this set on Amazon last year for about the same price and I'm glad I did. It's a steal.

It's a good show, and like any show it has its ups and downs. There are singularly spectactular episodes like "Hush" and "Once More With Feeling." The acting is pretty good most of the time from most of the actors. If you like Firefly, then the dialogue will feel extremely familiar, and it's pretty funny all througout, punctuated by extremely depressing moments as well, so it's an emotional roller coaster.

Mostly, like most Whedon shows you fall in love with the characters far more than the plot, which is good, because saving the world gets old after awhile, but the characters never do.

As a side note though: Be warned, you never really felt it in Firefly until Serenity came out, but Joss has absolutely zero problems with killing of loved characters at random, and for seemingly no purpose other than to screw with you.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Joss has absolutely zero problems with killing of loved characters at random, and for seemingly no purpose other than to screw with you.

Yeah, he's a bastidge that way. But an evil genius, just the same.

I caved and bought this collection too. I bought all of the Angel seasons one by one over about 6 months, but this price is too good to pass up.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

quote:
Mostly, like most Whedon shows you fall in love with the characters far more than the plot, which is good, because saving the world gets old after awhile, but the characters never do.
Wonderfully put! When I think about "Buffy," I don't really think about this episode or that episode, this story arc or that story arc. I think about Xander's one-liners and Willow's adorable sweaters. I think about Angel and Spike and Giles and Faith.

I don't think I actually watched the last season or two, so I'm excited to really sit down and see it from the beginning.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Seasons 3 and 5 are so awesome. Mixed feelings about the other seasons, but each has at least a few stunningly good episodes.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Each season has its own story arc, with a particularly bad baddy to fight, but each show is really about the characters and how they develop. I think I've fallen in love with every "good" female on the show, and a couple of the "evil" ones.

I'm on the seventh season now, and do not want it to finish.

quote:
Sell me on it, Hatrack.
And because you get delicious dialogue like this:

quote:
Buffy: What is this?
Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You, too -- you do doodle, too.

and this

quote:
Willow: Damn love spell! I have tried every anti-love spell spell I can find.
Anya: Even if you found the right one, guy would probably just do an anti-anti-love-spell spell... spell.
Willow: What?

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to this thread, I started watching Buffy on hulu. I kind of wish I bought the DVD set now. I guess I'll wait until next time it comes around.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang! I missed this thread somehow. [Frown] If anyone ever sees it on sale again, please bump this thread!!
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Angel is on sale for $51.

Stupid Amazon, making me spend money

Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
You can also download Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland today for $1.99.

Not to sound like a shill, but if you don't have it already, don't pass this up. The greatness of this album cannot be overstated.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
As a side note though: Be warned, you never really felt it in Firefly until Serenity came out, but Joss has absolutely zero problems with killing of loved characters at random, and for seemingly no purpose other than to screw with you.

I think Joss's (and select others') willingness to kill off well-loved characters makes for a stronger show.

It draws you in emotionally because, when the characters are in peril (as they inevitably are), you know there's a real chance one or more of them might die. So you're genuinely nervous and anxious, much more so than if it's a show where you know there's no chance one of the leads might die.

Also, it's more realistic.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

He also messes with you with the opening credits. If you see a character in the opening credits, DO NOT assume that they are or will be a fixed regular.
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
You can also download Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland today for $1.99.

Not to sound like a shill, but if you don't have it already, don't pass this up. The greatness of this album cannot be overstated.

Done. I shall call upon Hendrix to drown out my sorrows at not being able to afford the Angel boxed set!
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

I think Joss's (and select others') willingness to kill off well-loved characters makes for a stronger show.

It draws you in emotionally because, when the characters are in peril (as they inevitably are), you know there's a real chance one or more of them might die. So you're genuinely nervous and anxious, much more so than if it's a show where you know there's no chance one of the leads might die.

Also, it's more realistic.

The problem with having a show where the plot matters far less than the characters (actually, I'd say on any given episode, the plot actually tends to matter very little, especially in the later seasons) is that when you kill them off, it's a lot more of a body blow.

If they'd killed off a main character on Gilmore Girls or Dawson's Creek, it might have been shocking, but it wouldn't have mattered a single bit.

What Joss did in Serenity effectively ended the show. If he were to make anything Firefly related that took place AFTER that movie, I'd likely not watch it. It wouldn't be nearly the same show.

He tends to create shows almost like intricate machines, where removing single pieces has a way of weakening the machine as a whole, and when he removes several, it just stops functioning. So while it might create a little anxiety in the short term, I think in the long term it kills a part of why I love his shows every time he does it.

Besides, I get enough reality in real life. I think realism for the sake of realism in TV is often overrated.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Also,

Thank you to the White Whale. I was never a huge Angel fan, but a good friend of mine who I needed to get a Christmas present for IS, so this came at precisely the right time. It's still a little more than I was planning to spend, but it's such a great deal. She's actually borrowing my complete Buffy set at this moment.

Sadly this means now I have to spend a little bit more on her sister now since the musical tickets I bought her weren't quite this expensive. I suppose I could just shortchange my brother. Christmas budgeting is always a headache.

The White Whale
Member # 6594

I should call Joss Whedon and demand some sort of compensation for the money he earned for all of the people I've influenced into buying something of his. I've purchased Firefly series (two of them) for my two friends for their birthday (they're twins), and convinced my brother to buy Buffy, and now you to buy Angel. Oh, and I got one of his comics for the Hatrack exchange last year as my gift.

[Wink]

Anyways, your welcome Lyrhawn, and sorry that you had to spend more money.

Shanna
Member # 7900

On the subject of character deaths, I just got done watching the episode with the second season death. I did cry and I loved that they included a short little interview with Joss explaining why he did it and why it happened the way it did right down to the details.

I will say, however, that the deaths got to be quite ridiculous on Buffy. I mean, how many times does that girl need to die?!?

This is sort of a side question but I was thinking about starting to read the Buffy comics soon and wondered if A) I should wait until I've watched the whole series or B) if I would have needed to watch Angel to get everything. I just never could get into Angel.

On another side note, I can't believe how many details I remember about this show once I started rewatching it. I haven't seen most of these episodes since they originally aired. But I'll start watching an episode and suddenly I can remember all the little plot twists, how it ends, and even some of the jokes. It scary to think that its been sitting in the back of my mind this whole time taking up space!

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely wait to read the Buffy comics until you've seen all the TV shows.

With Angel, I had a hard time getting into season 1, but liked it much better starting with season 2 once it had more regular characters and more plot.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Angel for $56.99

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.