FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So there was this time

Author Topic: So there was this time
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I was camped out in the line to see Star Wars I *shudders* and there was this really geeky kid who was talking about some Star Wars game. He was soooo annoying. He kept talking about his light saber bar powering up and throwing it and...blah blah blah.

"So there was this time I let my power bar fill all the way up and it flew across the screen but he did a combo but I still kicked his but"

He wouldn't shut up. I had no context. I really didn't care.

I was at the missionary training center in Provo. There was an avid D&D gamer who would talk to anybody about his adventures. He literally would follow you around, never make eye contact, and talk about all these cool scenarios he played.

I went to the bathroom ignoring him. As I was doing #2 he stood outside the stall and..

"So there was this time I was surrounded by 5 orcs. It was so cool. I blah blah blah...."

This thread is dedicated to those moments and those people. Feel free to dump in a safe place.

So there was this time while playing Warharmmer Online that 2 Tanks 2 levels higher then my Engineer came after me. I was on top of a high Wall with a cliff behind me laying waste to our enemies in the battle below with my turret, acid bombs and sniper fire.

2 baddies came up the stairs to finish me off--both higher level then me. I focused on one and got his life about halfway down as he zig zagged up the stairs. I positioned myself behind the other one as they got to me and started to whittled my life down. With enough Moral saved I did a knock back and the unhurt one flew off the cliff to his doom. I finished off the first one I focused on with fire arc, a self healing potion, and concentrated attacks with my grenades.

I beat him with a sliver of life left. It was so cool. I love RvR!!

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'll play along.

I used to play Star Wars: Galaxies back before the developers screwed it up into the "New Game Experience" crud.

I had a jedi character, and occasionally, we would end up as targets for players who were Bounty Hunters, particularly if we used our force powers and/or lightsabers in public a lot. So I was showing off the game to a bunch of friends while I was at the School of Music and touting all the features. Geeking out basically, right?

I was just about to explain about how 'visibility' and bounty hunters worked, when, BLAM, a bounty hunter starts to attack me. Now understand, I was usually pretty good about not flaunting jedi-ness, and had managed to stay off of the Bounty Hunter mission terminals, so this was maybe my 2nd or 3rd time in this kind of life or death struggle with a bounty hunter. (getting killed by a bounty hunter resulted in massive losses of XP, which SUCKS!!)

Well, I managed to beat him pretty easily, actually. Don't recall the details, but the timing was cool. Even non-geeks were wowed by the experience of watching a BH vs Jedi encounter in game.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I once scored 255 points against the computer in Madden. On all-pro level.

I would've scored more but that particular game didn't allocate enough memory to allow any more points than that to be scored.

I had two thousand yard rushers on my team in that one game, as well as a thousand yard receiver.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
This is old-time MMORG - Everquest, in Lower Guk.

Our guild - an all-Ogre guild, which was a tremendous tactical disadvantage but oh-so-much-fun - was hunting in Lower Guk camping the ghoulbane when a monk decided he wanted the camp and started feign-death training us. He started mouthing off in shouts and eventually challenged me to a duel. I didn't accept. He trained us again and feigned death. I told everyone not to hit back any of the mobs, accepted the duel (the challenge was still active) and proceeded to attack him to break feign death. He was cornered by about 20 mobs who beat him down in no time. Meanwhile, the rest of my guild zoned to break aggro, I feigned death to keep an eye on things, and we laughed our tails off at him.

The guy comes back into the zone, continues to mouth off, and challenges me to a duel again. I accept, dispell his buffs, land clinging darkness, and whittle him down to harm touch range. I mistimed it, he mended himself, and tried to run away. He aggroed two mobs, tried to feign, and immediately took another XP death.

He didn't even come back for his body after that.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a fanboy. He is the older (15) year old of one of my 11 year old's best friends. He follows me around at church, talking to me, waiting outside the bathroom door, because I am the only adult Trekkie he knows. That would be mostly cool if he didn't follow me around before Haloween saying "You know what would be cool? If you dressed up as 7 of 9".
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
There was this time when I was playing Solitaire on the computer, and all four aces came up in the first three hands! It was awesome!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Once I beat Minesweeper in three seconds. I still have no idea how it happened.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
There was this time when I was playing Solitaire on the computer, and all four aces came up in the first three hands! It was awesome!
What a geek!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is old-time MMORG - Everquest, in Lower Guk.
Lower Guk is back in EQ2; they just released a new expansion.

I had a group with the worst healer in existence. When a character has the option to wear plate, but elects for some reason to wear CLOTH, you know it's going to be one of those nights.

After 6-7 group wipes they spawned a repair bot. Everybody repaired their stuff... or so we thought. Two wipes later, the healer's complaining that all his stuff is broken.

"Dude, why didn't you use the bot?"
"Bot?"
"The repair bot."
"I didn't see one."
"What? It was standing right next to you!"
"Oh... Can you spawn it again?"

One of the group members was from the guild Defiance, which is probably the single most well known guild in EQ2, and as such the most powerful (all fabled gear, one mythical, all mastered up, etc...). He was losing his mind at this clown.

Whenever we'd wipe (which was inevitable because he couldn't heal fast enough), he'd respawn at the entrance, cast invisibility on himself and me (I'm a ranger - I don't need it!) and walk back to the party... even if the zone was completely clear except for the last mob. He'd gingerly walk across the zone at 0% run speed to my 60%; I'd get to where we were two minutes before he would.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Augh. This is such a guy thing.

My #2 son does this to me all the time... follows me around telling me in great detail some major battle or such (right now he's into Manga and anime, so it is stuff he is seeing or has read, as opposed to game play, which it used to be).

*hides*

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
So there was this time I was playing my husband at Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, and I beat him.

I BEAT him. With Elena. O_O

He was really trying, too.

Ever since then, Elena has been top tier in my heart.

quote:
My #2 son does this to me all the time... follows me around telling me in great detail some major battle or such (right now he's into Manga and anime, so it is stuff he is seeing or has read, as opposed to game play, which it used to be).
Tell him to send me an email. I'll probably understand and sympathize. Especially if it's Naruto-related.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:

My wife and son have extensive conversations about Pokemons - the cards, their talents, their abilities, their worth, etc... - and I always glaze over hearing them speak.

Then I remember I was like that once.

I feel so proud.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
Augh. This is such a guy thing.

*hides*

I used to do this to my parents. I honestly believed it would interest them. Just do your best to steer the conversation away, but know that it can be somewhat crushing to be told "I don't care," not that I think you would say that, but my own mother did.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/nick-swardson-on-pokemon/4235939991
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
In one of my class' talent recitals in grade school, I named all 150 Pokemon sequentially without any cue cards or anything.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Pssh, but can you do the Pokerap?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The disturbing thing is that you had Pokemon in grade school.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to play RTW a lot, but stopped when it started consuming over an hour a day. A few years later I was walking around my high school, and my friend was playing, he had a small army, and was outnumbered about 3 to 1 by two larger, more experienced forces. I took over control, managed to lure the enemy calvary into an uphill charge, surrounded them with heavy infantry, and killed the enemy commanders. I had just enough time to reform my line when the enemy infantry showed up. I had no calvary to speak of, so most of my normal tactics were out of the question.

I deliberately weakened my center, placing my general there, but with the best troops on the flanks. I lost a lot of ground in the centre, but just before I gave out, I surrounded a superior force with my flanking troops, sent the two units of calvary I did have behind them, and sent my reserves to the centre. As a result, only their outermost troops could fight, and I showered the ones in the middle with arrows until they broke. It was a massacre, I saved my friend's campaign and prevented his capitol from falling into enemy hands.

Textbook Cannae.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized something that... I'm not sure if I'm disturbed or pleased by it. But I can no longer do this with games or battles or such things. I used to do this to my poor parents with games (Starcraft, Counter Strike, DOTA, various MUDs). But I don't play enough any more to have any tales worthy of the telling.

On the other hand, I CAN do this with a sport! With Ultimate Frisbee no less! ...so I will [Big Grin]

There was this one time, not long ago - the beginning of this very semester as a matter of fact, when the Skidmore Wombats embarked on a great journey. Well, a fourty minute drive any way. We headed down to Albany to participate in a round robin against three other local Frisbee Teams (UAlbany, Siena and Oneonta).

In our first game against UAlbany I was put on the line after we won the first point on offense. I'm usually a defensive player because I'm fast, a good mark and I'm a good enough offensive player to be useful on the turn but I have no hucks, I'm not a good deep player and my sense of timing for cuts is only mediocre so I'm not great on O.

Anyway, so I was on the line against UAlbany (not a bad team). The team's second point of the day, my first point of the day. We'd score the first point and UAlbany was looking to come back. Early in the point the person I was marking made a hard cut in, but I managed to get around in front of him and got the D (meaning I blocked the frisbee)!

Then when we turned around on O I made the first cut, got the disc, got it back to the handler (like the quarterback sort of), went back into the stack and two cuts later we were to the end zone and I was in the back of the stack again. I saw our handler looking for a cut to the corner and went for it. He threw it right by one of their defenders, but threw it so low that it was flying just above the grass and was well in front of me. I was running full speed at it and saw it coming toward me. I layed out for it (dove for it). It was a full extension layout from full speed just off the ground. I snagged it with one hand and slid for 6 feet, landing insidethe endzone for the score!

My first point in and I'd gotten a D, a good cut, and a FULLY HORIZONTAL LAYOUT WITH A ONE HANDED GRAB FOR A POINT!

For those who don't know frisbee, a layout is when you dive for the disc. I dove for the disc from running full speed and caught it with one hand.

And to make my day even better I stayed on one more point. The team got another D and I ended up catching another throw for a score. This time skying (jumping over) one of UAlbany's players rather than laying out.

Boy was that a good day [Smile] It's days like that that make me love frisbee.

[ November 25, 2008, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
What a geek!
Sacrificing chickens makes you get aces?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Total War series. It brought to life that one thing I always wanted since CivII, turn-based nation building where one can control one's battles so one doesn't see something like battleships being destroyed by some archers sitting on some backward island.

Played correctly, it can be amazingly epic. Unfortunately, the siege AI can be very weak. My favorite was playing as the Greeks against Egypt in sieges in a big city map. I would simply leave all my troops in the city square and surround the entrances with hoplites in guard mode.

The Egyptians would simply stroll into them casually, as if going for a walk on the beach, getting predictably slaughtered. Chariots especially would practically self-destruct as they hit the wall of spears.

Ah, the siege AI ...

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
What a geek!
Sacrificing chickens makes you get aces?
No. Chicken soup.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Psst...Alcon.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/09/23/110-frisbee-sports/

amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
So there was this time when....
We were playing bridge in the College bar and my tutor Bob decided to set up my very gullible friend Stuart. While Stuart was having a loo break we gave him a hand of cards with 31 points (ace is 4 points, king is 3, queen is 2, jack is 1). I can't remember the bidding sequence exactly, but Stuart's opponents ended up in six clubs and he doubled... only to find that his lovely 31 point hand took not a single trick! It was only as the very last card went down that Stuart, now bright red, asked "Have I been set up?"

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Lower Guk is back in EQ2; they just released a new expansion.<snip>
How could they not have had lower guk? Crazy.

And that sounds like an ebay cleric to me.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
I just realized something that... I'm not sure if I'm disturbed or pleased by it. But I can no longer do this with games or battles or such things. I used to do this to my poor parents with games (Starcraft, Counter Strike, DOTA, various MUDs). But I don't play enough any more to have any tales worthy of the telling.

On the other hand, I CAN do this with a sport! With Ultimate Frisbee no less! ...so I will [Big Grin]

There was this one time, not long ago - the beginning of this very semester as a matter of fact, when the Skidmore Wombats embarked on a great journey. Well, a fourty minute drive any way. We headed down to Albany to participate in a round robin against three other local Frisbee Teams (UAlbany, Siena and Oneonta).

In our first game against UAlbany I was put on the line after we won the first point on offense. I'm usually a defensive player because I'm fast, a good mark and I'm a good enough offensive player to be useful on the turn but I have no hucks, I'm not a good deep player and my sense of timing for cuts is only mediocre so I'm not great on O.

Anyway, so I was on the line against UAlbany (not a bad team). The team's second point of the day, my first point of the day. We'd score the first point and UAlbany was looking to come back. Early in the point the person I was marking made a hard cut in, but I managed to get around in front of him and got the D (meaning I blocked the frisbee)!

Then when we turned around on O I made the first cut, got the disc, got it back to the handler (like the quarterback sort of), went back into the stack and two cuts later we were to the end zone and I was in the back of the stack again. I saw our handler looking for a cut to the corner and went for it. He threw it right by one of their defenders, but threw it so low that it was flying just above the grass and was well in front of me. I was running full speed at it and saw it coming toward me. I layed out for it (dove for it). It was a full extension layout from full speed just off the ground. I snagged it with one hand and slid for 6 feet, landing insidethe endzone for the score!

My first point in and I'd gotten a D, a good cut, and a FULLY HORIZONTAL LAYOUT WITH A ONE HANDED GRAB FOR A POINT!

For those who don't know frisbee, a layout is when you dive for the disc. I dove for the disc from running full speed and caught it with one hand.

And to make my day even better I stayed on one more point. The team got another D and I ended up catching another throw for a score. This time skying (jumping over) one of UAlbany's players rather than laying out.

Boy was that a good day [Smile] It's days like that that make me love frisbee.

I love Ultimate. I was in a league in New Orleans. Can't see to find a regular pick up game in LA, though.

My first game last year (first time I'd ever played) I caught a long bomb fully laying out for it in the end zone. I one-handed it and my hand was literally brushing the top of the grass. Running full speed and being covered by the other team's best defender (who didn't believe me when I told him I'd never played before).

I can't throw for squat, but I'm tall and a little quick so I'm impossible to go deep on.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I have too many of these stories to tell... so I shall tell one... with song....

The Ballad of the Fourteen Froggies

In from the tower the 14 frogs flew,
and not just them but their little dogs too,
Marbus nearly fell on the pull 'cross the land,
we knew on arrival he'd used his lay hand,
It was the only way he could have the power,
to pull to the king from distant live tower,
The party looked frightened... fretful and worried,
as if we'd too soon be dead and buried,
How can we survive this terrible crime?
The enchanter said calmly, One at a Time.

The battle was fierce and the froggies were strong,
were it not for swift Gormith we'd not have lasted long,
Kalysta's pet helped us survive,
I swear by itself it slew more than five,
Selina selected which ones to burn down,
with one mighty shot, they'd fall to the ground,
Weena's swords danced as she sang mystic lyrics,
Restoring our mana as health is by clerics,
And Marbus lept into battle like a man insane,
after healing from pulling this terrible train.

In the middle of the fight our clarity ran out,
our mana was fading, our health.. not so stout,
Near death and in panic Weena ran for the zone,
but Gormith's quick heal showed she wasn't alone,
The throne was a grave yard, the bodies defaced it,
And the corpse of the priest had that cheap little bracelet,
The battle was ending, the frogs had not won,
All that was left was a zol... and a yun.
Beaten and bleeding we finished them, then
Marbus said, "Med! I'm pulling again!"

Blinkle

Background: This was in the original EQ before the first expansion. Killing 14 mobs in one pull was *impressive*. Especially since some of us weren't level 50 yet.

(edit: Typo)

[ November 25, 2008, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

*applauds*
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote an entire EQ fan-fic about a farm family living in the Karanas. It was hilarious, though today it reads as a "what in the world is that all about?"

I also did an article that showed the original "Ice Age" movie was in fact a Everquest adventure in disguise. (Mannie-Tank. The saber-tooth tiger was even called in the movie "Uber-tracker" was a ranger. It was quite hip and elegant and now totally useless.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
I love the Total War series. It brought to life that one thing I always wanted since CivII, turn-based nation building where one can control one's battles so one doesn't see something like battleships being destroyed by some archers sitting on some backward island.

Played correctly, it can be amazingly epic. Unfortunately, the siege AI can be very weak. My favorite was playing as the Greeks against Egypt in sieges in a big city map. I would simply leave all my troops in the city square and surround the entrances with hoplites in guard mode.

The Egyptians would simply stroll into them casually, as if going for a walk on the beach, getting predictably slaughtered. Chariots especially would practically self-destruct as they hit the wall of spears.

Ah, the siege AI ...

My 11 year old is in a major campaign as the Egyptians right now. I know, it is all he talks about, when he's not talking about D&D minis battles.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved those glorious, anachronistic SOBs, my enemies always got to fight in the shade.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
So this one time, I was playing an alt-hist Norway in WWII (very alt-hist; I owned all of Scandinavia, large chunks of Russia and Germany, and most of North America) and had just gotten backstabbed quite badly by an equally alt-hist Burgundy - basically France plus. I did not know it at the time, but our save was corrupted, giving him a vast bonus wherever his HQ units were. As a result I was driven back and back from my starting line on the Elbe, across the Kattegat into Sweden. Burgundian tanks were driving for Bergen, all seemed lost. And then - the Malmø Rising! Two measly little guerilla units appeared in the southern tip of Sweden, cutting off all supply to the armoured spearheads! With a hot 90% out-of-supply malus to his units, I drove five armoured divisions down the east coast of Sweden to where my guerrillas were desperately holding off the counterattack by some last-ditch reserve units. Cavalry, no less! He must have been scraping the bottom of the barrel by then, with all his good armour immobilised in Sweden for lack of oil. I encircled sixty divisions and destroyed Burgundian fighting power for three years.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Background: This was in the original EQ before the first expansion. Killing 14 mobs in one pull was *impressive*. Especially since some of us weren't level 50 yet.
In the new expansion, zones like Befallen and Guk have regular groups of 5-10 linked mobs. To get the first named in "Befallen: Cavern of the Afflicted", for example, you literally have to run through about 30 mobs, aggro-ing all of them, and attack the named first.

When unfamiliar tanks attempt a pull and see what looks like the whole zone charging after them, they freak out. You can tell who are the EQ1 veterans and who aren't; the veterans are not surprised.

As a ranger I particularly enjoy the healers whining "I can't keep up with the heals!" and the tank yelling "Evac... Evac... EVAC! For God's sake EVAC!!!"

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
nighthawk: Is this the original EQ? I guess they had to pump up the old dungeons so people would go there, huh?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
nighthawk: Is this the original EQ? I guess they had to pump up the old dungeons so people would go there, huh?

No, they brought back the old dungeons in the latest expansion pack for EQ2: The Shadow Odyssey

The new zones are NOT for the weak willed and are really tough. Plus they've made more of the zones and nameds like puzzles, where it's no longer a "slash and burn" approach and you have to do certain things in order to proceed.

One one day alone, I died 47 times and spent over 3p on repairs. Of course, I did pick the single most expensive class to play (I spend 2p+ per week on arrows, as I easily burn 1500 arrows in a day).

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
Pssh, but can you do the Pokerap?

Yes.
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
The disturbing thing is that you had Pokemon in grade school.

Why is this disturbing?
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Because it means we're old.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

So, Toad, for the real question. Did you, in fact, just do the Pokerap during the talent show, but without rhythm and inflection?

Because that's how I name the 50 states in alphabetical order. I mentally sing "The 50 Nifty United States" while I'm listing.

ETA: I love that, while I'm posting this, I can hear my 5-year-old daughter yell, "Go, Togepi! Spike Ball now!" from the backyard.

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
There are three distinct hobbies I can recall having 'war stories' from...

Axis and Allies (the original, vanilla variety) - One of my friends and I has a game that progressed over a few hours a week, and prolonged itself for months. In the original version, other than production, there was no penalty in losing your capital to hostile forces or relocating it to foreign soil. By the fourth month of the game: 1) Germany controlled Australia and Japan, and had just lost Britain, their last bastion of strength in the European Theater. 2) Japan controlled Russia, as well as portions of Europe and Africa. 3) USSR controlled all the capitals in Europe as well as south Africa, and was slowly turning the tide in a battle of attrition with Japan. 4) The US had just recaptured the Western half of North America, after being beaten back to only South America. 5) Britain had been reduced to Canada and Eastern half of US (Both the US and Britan were about four turns from being eliminated after Japan traded their holdings in Europe and Africa to mount an offensive). In about the fifth month, I finally won because I managed to control enough land that my factions shared a front that they didn't have to worry about. After this game, we went and created our own set of rules for A&A based on what we learned (and assumed multiple players).

AD&D (2nd Ed.) - Our GM ran a continuous series of campaigns over five or six years in middle and high school. My character managed to survive the entire series (the only character that managed that feat), and had some fairly dramatic moments... 1) Breaking a powerful artifact, which resulted in mass dispelling a capital's magical defenses (as well as the attackers offensive siege magic), and resulted with the fall of the both the most powerful as well as the most enlightened nations in the campaign to fairly inconsequential enemies. 2) After arriving in a cursed country, and futilely attempting to escape for a lengthy amount of time, my character wound up resurrecting the old and malevolent major deity responsible for the curse. The DM honestly had no idea what my character's intentions were until the last second, and called a pause to the game to figure out what should happen next (he was a **** good DM, and that never happens to him.) The resulting events wound up not only changing my character's alignment (from chaotic good to chaotic neutral), but also my character's class (apparently Paladins can't willingly sacrifice their own Charger performing what amounted to a dark right, who knew). It was a particularly fun few sessions of role-playing growing desperation and insanity. 3) In the final sessions of the campaign, our group was helping assemble spells and artifacts to enable an NPC to confront a minor (albeit powerful) deity. While we were holding off the deity's minions, the NPC was becoming strained (and we'd been warned the encounter had a good chance of ending badly), so my character attempted (and succeeded in) inserting a longsword beneath the deity's ribcage, and a chestfull of spectral hammer in payment. He was the only one of three to survive such a direct assault (and the only one to do damage). While my character didn't die, he did get to have a sit down discussion with the deity he served during the duration of the battle. I could probably go to 10 on this list...

World of Warcraft - So easy to bore people with these... The best one worth noting was after a day of having my lowbie warlock killed repeatedly in Thousand Needles (PvP server), I got fed up. I logged in my druid, recruited a rogue friend, and headed to Freewind Post for retaliation. We were there long enough to start considering what curtains to get for the buildings, while killing anything that moved. Eventually a particularly determined hunter showed up to deal with us, and failed for a long while. Freewind Post is on top of a large mesa, so it was inevitable that eventually I would gauge something wrong, and plummet to my death. And that's exactly what happened, while the rogue I was with laughing the entire time. What I didn't know is that he was laughing at the hunter, who was so mad he'd chased me off the cliff trying to get to me. So many other fun AV battles, bizarre instances, and such... But that's enough out of me for the day!

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
So, Toad, for the real question. Did you, in fact, just do the Pokerap during the talent show, but without rhythm and inflection?

Because that's how I name the 50 states in alphabetical order. I mentally sing "The 50 Nifty United States" while I'm listing.

ETA: I love that, while I'm posting this, I can hear my 5-year-old daughter yell, "Go, Togepi! Spike Ball now!" from the backyard.

I thought of doing that, but to really show off my mastery, I actually recited them from 1 to 150.
(Bulbasaur, Ivysaur...Mewtwo).

And...yeah. I'm 19. I was a Pokemon kid. You are all OLD.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Dude, I'm 27 and I was a Pokemon kid. Well, early teen.
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't things happen in real life the way they do on TV?

Case in point.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm prone to telling stories about my adventures but they are always about my real life, never fantasy gaming.

"There was this time my husband and I were out hiking near Yakima when bullet came flying past me and then another one hit the ground not 5 feet in front of me. We started screaming like crazy. Some idiots out for target practice were shooting down the trail."

"There was this time when we were out canoeing an the Madison river in a February thaw and we got blown into a sweeper and capsized the canoe into 35°C water."

"There was this time when we were out sailing on Puget Sound at night during a storm. Waves were crashing over us as we sat at the tiller and we came up out of a trough to find a ferry bearing down on us."

"There was this time when we were hiking in Yellowstone and came over a rise to find a Grizzly bear not more than 20 feet in front of us".

I'm probably deceiving myself, but I tend to think people find my stories more interesting than the most elaborate video game battle simply because they are real and not fiction.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:

"There was this time when we were out canoeing an the Madison river in a February thaw and we got blown into a sweeper and capsized the canoe into 35°C water."

Wow. Did you fall into a hot spring or something? How lucky for you!
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:

Wow. Did you fall into a hot spring or something? How lucky for you!
Woops, That should have read "35 °F water".
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Well, I guess that makes sense. I've never known the Madison river to be metric.
dem
Member # 2512

- posted      Profile for dem   Email dem         Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly the same thing, but along the same lines...

So a little more than 10 years ago, my boss (he owned the company) and I took 2 hour lunches at Dave and Buster's twice a week. We would both spend about $20 each playing a video game called Top Skate. It was a really cool game with the controller being a skateboard that you stood on, controlling various skaters going down multiple courses. We became experts at the game and soon dominated the top ten scores on every course. WP3 or DEM took up every spot. Eventually we moved downtown and after a couple trips to visit D&B on the weekends, we stopped playing the game.

Jump forward three years…

We end up going to D&Bs for a tennis team party on a Saturday. We talked about the possibility that Top Skate might still be there, but didn’t have a lot of hope. To our surprise, we get there and it is still in the same spot. There are a bunch of teenagers playing on it, so we watch for a few minutes and then go eat. We come and find the game free. We take turns playing and the skills comeback pretty quickly. It’s like riding a bike…ur…skateboard. The third or fourth time WP3 plays the game, he makes a score that gets him in the top scores list. He proceeds to enter his normal ‘WP3’ name into the game and that is when it hits the fan. Some kid standing nearby questions, “You’re WP3?! You’re WP3?!” My friend says, “Yeah and that is DEM right there.” Again the kid questions, “You’re DEM?!”

Immediately the kid is on his cell phone, within 5 minutes there are 10 teenage boys there watching us play. They are on cell phone calls to other kids telling them that they are watching DEM and WP3 play Top Skate. It turns out that they had been playing the game for several years and couldn’t come close to the high scores on the leader board. Debate had raged about whether it was even possible to get those scores and that maybe DEM and WP3 didn’t exist or had hacked the game or found a cheat. For a couple of guys in their early to mid-30s, getting the god worship was definitely fun for a night.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

dem, That is actually an amusing story, unlike most of the tales in this thread.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm prone to telling stories about my adventures but they are always about my real life, never fantasy gaming.

I'm probably deceiving myself, but I tend to think people find my stories more interesting than the most elaborate video game battle simply because they are real and not fiction.

Yep, you are right. You are deceiving yourself. [Razz]

Seriously tho, having elaborate "video game battles" and interesting real life stories are not mutually exclusive.

I have some fantastic stories about the December I was homeless and jobless in Korea. I am 6ft tall and blond. I was 23 at the time.

That's not the point. Everyone has interesting life stories. But how many people have gaming stories that would bore a cactus but are still interesting to the teller? hmm? Think about it.

This is a safe haven for those stories. Some of us just like to get it off our chests but are respectful enough not to contaminate other threads/people with our *dice rolls.*

However, your high horse is still welcome here.

Which reminds of this time I was playing D&D with a group of friends. We were going through an old mansion filled with awesome treasures. My brother the DM was having a blast attacking us with Dark Elves.

We would be walking and then they would cast a glowing blue aura on us that made us easier to hit with their bows. My brother was sadistic. One person in our party got killed. The rest of us were badly hurt. The tension of sneaking through the mansion and waiting to start glowing blue was unbearable.

I had a character that could cast the same spell. When we got to a room that was teaming with magic items I stepped back and cast the spell on our party.

Everyone fled and I collected handsomely on the treasure. They couldn't be mad because their characters didn't know it was me and had no way to verify I took anything. My real life friends were po'ed that I outsmarted them.

BwaaHaa haa!!! [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.