FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ann Coulter is Keeping Her Mouth Shut for Awhile (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Ann Coulter is Keeping Her Mouth Shut for Awhile
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotten this through enough sources so that it looks like it really is true. We will not be hearing Ann Coulter's voice anywhere (live, anyway) for at least a few weeks).

There are many things I could write about this, but, believe me, many bloggers with darker souls than mine are already weighing in.

Here, however, is a fairly straightforward account of the (temporary) Silence of Ann:

quote:

Ann Coulter, always polite and respectfulIt's too easy to make a pun about one of the biggest mouths in the conservative movement being silenced. So I'll leave the clever quips about Ann Coulter's broken jaw to the pop blogs.
But I do have to admit to some schadenfreude upon hearing that the woman who just can't keep her mouth shut will have to quite literally do so for several weeks, as her jaw is to be wired shut.

Reports have been sketchy as to the reason behind the broken jaw. I'm sure there have been visions of a fist fight with Rosie O'Donnell or just any liberal pundit taking a crack shot at that long face but it seems that it was only a nasty fall that Coulter took about a month back.

Y'all can hunt down the blog partying on your own. Or commence with the predictable comments here. [Wink]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Cat got her tongue?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
Who cares. Loudmouths on both sides make me ill...
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lobo:
Who cares. Loudmouths on both sides make me ill...

So any time you get to see any of them wired-shut for a while, shouldn't that be a good thing?
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
This was an event scripted by the gods of Schadenfreude.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Our hearts go out to Ms. Coulter and the unfortunate who surely lost their lives trying to hold her down during the procedure.
I laughed out loud at this.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this going to interfere with Obama naming her to a cabinet position?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet Irony
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Is this going to interfere with Obama naming her to a cabinet position?

Not at all. As a matter of fact I understand it is a requirement for the offer. It has to STAY wired shut his whole first term. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Normally I might be aghast at the lack shown here of the usual sympathy and understanding that Hatrack shows... but Ann Coulter is bar-none one of the meanest seeming people I've ever seen on TV or heard on radio. I don't wish anyone such an injury, but this one doesn't make me feel too bad.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
I have all her books. One is signed. She's not nearly as good on camera as she is in her writing. She is not for the uninitiated, that's for sure. But go on, keep hating her and thinking of her as something less than human and not deserving of any kind of sympathy.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Resh, Coulter has said things like she wished McVeigh had blown up the NY Times building instead of the Murrah Federal Building, with the editors and reporters inside.

Does it indicate I'm uninitiated if I find that far more hateful than any of the jokes posted on this thread?

Coulter is really a special case, and it's hard to see how one could take her side in calling for tact.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if only she had died instead of just breaking her jaw.

I mean right, see is a special case and all. So it should be okay to wish for her death.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Who wished for her death?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Reshpeckobiggle:
I have all her books. One is signed. She's not nearly as good on camera as she is in her writing. She is not for the uninitiated, that's for sure. But go on, keep hating her and thinking of her as something less than human and not deserving of any kind of sympathy.

I don't hate her. I think she's ridiculous! And I think that her profit model prays on idiots who like to buy into presupposition and generalized demonization of entire ideological groups.

Like you, Resh!

But I don't hate you either! I'm sympathetic to your shortcomings in the logic department! Plus, whenever you try to argue politics or science, you actively help my cause by representing yours.

please keep buying Ann Coulter books.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

ermm. I'd advocate the pirating of Ann Coulter books, but I'd like her not to make money.

She could always fall into a teaching career at charm school though... now that's an idea for a movie.

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, you really threw the TOS out the window with that comment. Please edit it.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
If Ms. Coulter can't insult the widows of the 9/11 tragedy and demonize large portions of the country for failing to live up to her levels of hypocrisy and lack of compassion, I can't say I'll weep bitter tears.

As for Coulter "not being for the uninitiated", I must confess that the only inititation that springs to mind involves a lot of dark, hooded garments and blood sacrifices.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:

He's called me an idiot before and nobody made a fuss... including me. And he did it more directly, like "you are an idiot."
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:

If I'm not allowed to call someone an idiot on this forum, then neither is Resh.

And if Resh is not allowed to call someone an idiot on this forum, he's been banned about thirty times over.

And if Resh is allowed to call people names and rant and rail on them with as many insults as he has, and I don't get to call him an utter fool for being an Ann Coulter acolyte, then I'm not part of this website. ^_^

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Your choice. I'd rather not have to involve the moderator, but whatever.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

What's ridiculous about this is that you can omit "Like you, Resh!" from my post and suddenly it's magically TOS-friendly even though it is beyond doubt that I am asserting this condition in relation to Reshpekobiggle and that it is doubtlessly a direct insult to him. Enforcements of 'passive agression' technicality, and all that. merely an opportunity to test double standards and schizophrenic irregularity in the application of TOS judgments.

Because beyond a doubt there is no enforcement of cordiality here, no enforcement saying that I can't imply or eruditely code-word the notion that Resh is dense and impressionable and has vaporized his credibility and ethos over years of bumbling, inept argumentation that has rightfully frustrated the entire community. I'm allowed to impugn people's intelligence here but only so long as I doll it up with 'legal' wording.

Very well, if I'm not allowed to, I won't say that Resh is an idiot. He'll say it for me. Resh once stated that he is pretty sure that he's either speaking unvarnished truths, or he's an idiot and an ass. I am willing to helpfully conclude one of these is indeed true, given his repeated clashings with factual, patient, diligent, and eminently respectful refutations against his patent incorrigibility on any one of a number of subjects, from moral, to political, to scientific. I think I might daresay I know which it is.

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

I'm not taking sides, and I'm not gonna argue with you Sam. You have my opinion, feel free to act as you see fit. Good night.
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam is an idiot. Ok, thread is even, no one gets yelled at by a moderator (I hope.)

But nice of you to link to one of my more magnificent posts -from a year and a half ago, no less. It's funny, because everything I said in that post is still true! I have yet to see anyone do anything more than completely dodge the main thrust of the argument I was making there, and I don't just mean here on Hatrack. Maybe my argumentation is just too "bumbling and inept" for anyone to provide an accurate and appropriate response.

P.S. I believe I've made the point before about how it appears that Sam has neatly saved and categorized all of my posts. I'd look for it, but I'm pretty sure Sam could find it a lot faster. Could you do me a favor Sam and look in your archives for that post? It's probably tabbed under "Personal Attacks." If you don't see it there, check your "How Could He Have Known?" file.

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
I believe I've made the point before about how it appears that Sam has neatly saved and categorized all of my posts.
Nope, broheim. I'm just smart enough to know how to use the forum's search function. Try it out. Search for your username using the word 'nazi'

Wow, look at that! Everyone should see that post.

quote:
I have yet to see anyone do anything more than completely dodge the main thrust of the argument I was making there
One of the things that I have noticed about you is that you have the relative luxury of assuming that your points have not been adequately addressed because you are simply incapable of understanding the refutations people make against you. It's been noted about you, and you may even figure it out someday: you're in over your head. You see people criticizing you for begging the question, or for specious reasoning, but you really can't yet understand what that means. For the most part, they are just words on the screen to you, words of belittlement, but you cannot parse them, you cannot apply them. You can look them up, read their surface definitions and take away a surface understanding of what the charge is, but you can't apply that sort of skeptical rationalism to your thought processes. This is criticism you literally lack the means to respond to positively and it's due to this fundamental incuriousness that you are already well-known for. Until the day you can catch yourself up to the point where you can incorporate this 'logic' stuff, you won't stop buying into justifications that are inherently fallacious. You don't have the philosophical or the personal maturity yet.

Normally, who cares? But here you have used this to form ultimately intractable positions based on 'truthiness' and shallow axiom, and you think you are way better at arguing than you really are, so you make these epic, careening failures through thread after thread simply unable to understand people's refutations. Naturally, you conclude you simply haven't been refuted.

Exhibit A: you preening over your 'accomplishments' in that thread.

TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I am posting in this high-quality thread.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Just kidding! I'm not. [Smile]

*backs away slowly*

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*breaks out the Cheetos*

Anyone bring soda?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Does root beer count as soda?

I've got some high-quality root beer here.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure. I'll share my Cheetos if you share your root beer. *passes bag to Scott and enjoys the show*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Ann Coulter is clearly a far-left provocateur. She exists to make conservatives look like idiots. She's a living, breathing, jaw-currently-wired-shut strawman.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Cheetos!

:passes chilled bottle of Virgil's Root Beer to kq:

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ann Coulter is clearly a far-left provocateur. She exists to make conservatives look like idiots. She's a living, breathing, jaw-currently-wired-shut strawman.

I will admit that I have thought the same thing about certain members of the site, including Lisa, at times.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Is "Bite me" a violation of the TOS? Or would it have to be "Bite me, Rabbit"?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Is "Bite me" a violation of the TOS? Or would it have to be "Bite me, Rabbit"?

See, that is exactly the kind of witty, intelligent and logical response that causes me to hold you in such high regard.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is in poor taste.

And loaded with high fructose corn syrup.

Like a candy store jawbreaker.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Oh, man. These are like the best Cheetos, EVAR.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I agree that she is useful, in a way, to the Left. However, I think she is actually a product of the mainstream media, separate from any political motivation. She is provocative and vile in order to garner attention and therefore revenue.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
She is provocative and vile in order to garner attention and therefore revenue.
Like the Doodlebops!
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Like the Doodlebops!
The mere mention of the unspeakable horror that is the Doodlebops should be against the TOS!
Great line though!

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Rabbit and Lisa were having so much fun, I thought I'd try insulting a random Jatraquero.

Completely at random. I swear.

Random-- keep that in mind.

Mr. Portiero Head is a bigot and the most socially irresponsible person alive.

WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
The greatest obstacle to my reading her books is I can't tell if she's trying to be satirical or serious. If she's being satirical, she's terrible at it; if she's serious, it scares the crap out of me.

I think what scifibum said is more correct, she exists only to provoke knee-jerk reactions out of liberals and conservatives. Her articles are often QFT on the Salt Lake Tribune's forum and one of the reasons I don't post there anymore. Once the Coulter quotes start being posted, any chance of logical discussion goes down the proverbial tubes.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Scott R, Lisa and I weren't insulting each other, we were engaging in witty repartee.

Try something like this.

"When compared to Mr. Potiero Head, Anne Coulter is paragon of liberal virtues and social responsibility."

See how much more fun that is.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Or:

I need some editing help. In the sentence "ScottR is a dunderhead whose idiocy is matched only by his repulsive stench", does "dunderhead" need to be hyphenated?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
No. It needs a couple apostrophe's.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Rabbit and Lisa were having so much fun, I thought I'd try insulting a random Jatraquero.

Completely at random. I swear.

Random-- keep that in mind.

Mr. Portiero Head is a bigot and the most socially irresponsible person alive.

WHEEEEEEEEEE!

The "R" in ScottR stands for "Randomness".
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

Of course you know how to use the search function, Sam. Only, I think it's the search function found in the Windows Start Menu, allowing you to search your hard drive. Probably your specially dedicated back-up drive as well, the one with "I Hate Reshpeckobiggle" etched into one side (and I imagine a Hello Kitty sticker on the other.)

quote:
Originally posted by Epictetus:
The greatest obstacle to my reading her books is I can't tell if she's trying to be satirical or serious. If she's being satirical, she's terrible at it; if she's serious, it scares the crap out of me.

Her books are actually a clever mix. She doesn't care if her haters are too dense to be able to tell when she switches from satire to serious, or recognizes how serious she is sometimes being with her satire. Like when she makes jokes about abortion. Oh, hahah, that was funny! But it's kind of a laugh because you can't always be crying.

But she's not terrible at satire. She's only terrible if you are a self-important and smug liberal with no sense of humor. Or a prudish conservative. Normal liberals find her disgusting but respect her ability as a writer. It may help you to know that one of her favorite authors is Dave Barry.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
why does her respect as a writer come into play? She's disgusting, one should not be support a disgusting writer when she writes disgusting hate speech.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Resh, I think we all understand that she is good at what she does. We just don't think being a good hatemongerer is worthy of our respect.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Normally I might be aghast at the lack shown here of the usual sympathy and understanding that Hatrack shows... but Ann Coulter is bar-none one of the meanest seeming people I've ever seen on TV or heard on radio. I don't wish anyone such an injury, but this one doesn't make me feel too bad.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. I wouldn't wish it on her....not because she doesn't deserve it, but because I try not to wish anything bad on other people.

But if it HAS to happen to someone...

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.