FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lost Season 5 Thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Lost Season 5 Thread
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Sneak Peek.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm certainly excited. I've almost given up on this show numerous times only to come crawling back..
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got caught up on season 4 a couple of weeks ago and can't wait! I never gave up on the show. I guess it got a bit slow in season 2 but as I watched it on DVD back to back and commercial free, it didn't really bug me that muc. Season 4 went an unexpected direction and I can't wait for season 5. Now the question is, whether to watch it a week at a time or wait until the end and watch it back to back, as I have done with all the other seasons...
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
In order to get ready for Season 5, my plan is to watch seasons 1-4 during Christmas break. Starting today, watching the Pilot right now and I have until about January 10th or so. It's going to be a few good weeks. :-)
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
We're watching seasons 3 and 4 in preparation. It would be fun to do the whole thing, but we can only fit in at most one episode a day, so there's not enough time.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lynda
Member # 11730

- posted      Profile for lynda           Edit/Delete Post 
I love this show can't wait for the next season to start. I think I will watch it week by week, and then watch it all at one time when it comes out on DVD. I always miss something in the week by week. That show can move fast and can be confusing.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never watched it as the episodes come out. I watched seasons 1-4 within about 30 days.

It resulted in me getting pretty tired of some of the tropes that got reused frequently.

So this time I might watch one episode a week and see if I can still follow the plot. I can always resort to written plot summaries if I get stuck. Hopefully then I won't injure my eye rolling muscles every time somebody steals all the guns.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
"...it happened because you left, Jack."

Very mild spoilers. [Cool]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
*jumps up and down* I'm excited!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the first 3 seasons on DVD; last year was the first time I watched it week-by-week. I much preferred the DVD experience, but I don't think I can wait that long to find out what happens, so I guess I'll be watching with the rest of you next week.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
I watched the first 3 seasons on DVD; last year was the first time I watched it week-by-week. I much preferred the DVD experience, but I don't think I can wait that long to find out what happens, so I guess I'll be watching with the rest of you next week.

That's the experience I'm having with 24 this year - I've always watched it on DVD, but am watching week-by-week this year. It's too early to say for sure, but so far my feeling is that the commercial breaks every 7 minutes really kill the intensity for me.
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Yes, me too. And I also loved the possibility of watching 3 in a row if I really wanted to. Waiting a whole week in between is frustrating.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
I always start the season by watching it week by week, but inevitably, I miss a week or two in a row and get behind. Then there's trying to catch or just waiting until it's all out and watching all the eps back to back. Both ways have their merits. I kind of like the idea of watching week by week first and then rewatching them all again when the DVD is released (or you manage to watch them all online after the final ep airs).
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
TOMORROW! I can hardly wait!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

OK, I missed a minute. When Jack, Kate, Hurley and Sayid (and I assume Sun and Aaron) were on the boat and they were arguing, and Hurley tells Sayid that if he ever needs his help, forget it -- what were they arguing about?
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
If they should lie about the island or not.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Grr! I should just quit this show. I gave up "Heroes" and was over the withdrawls in a week.

Maybe I'll just watch it all when its over but I fear the possibility that maybe, just maybe, the writers do have a wonderful ending planned and if I wait it'll be spoiled for me before I get to see it.

However, my faith is waning.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely loved the episode. Particularly the first half. What they're doing with the Island right now is brilliant. It goes a long way towards answering questions for me. Particularly with some random theories I had floated in last years thread once they started playing around with time(particularly that one Desmond episode).

One thing I had though was that Adam and Eve from the first season were characters we already met, who had somehow gotten to the Island too early in time and died before any of the Losties got there. I had surmised possibly Jack and Kate in their attempts to get back to the Island. The fact that the people on the Island are currently jumping around in time opens up the possibility that it could be anyone. Though I'd guess Faraday and Charlotte, bolstered by the fact that we've seen Faraday pretty far back in time(and seemingly with some sort of purpose). Maybe something along the lines of at some future point(in terms of how they experience time), him and Charlotte separate from the others with the purpose of going or staying in a particular time to help bring about something to happen in the future.

I had also floated a theory about the reasons for all the connections between the characters on the show. Why all their paths had crisscrossed and why the Island had drawn them to itself. here's what I said:

quote:
So here's the thought that came to me. What if the reason all the characters have these really unlikely connections in their past, is because the Island has actually created all these connections. Which is not to say the past events didn't happen, but in a weird twist on cause and effect and the nature of time and whether it can be changed, these people all crash here and the island created these intertwining pasts for whatever reason.

I think I was sort of along the right lines. I think because of how time is working on the show, in the timeline of the Island, it knows that the Losties all end up there in the future and so it works to bring them together, and bring them to itself in order to complete the time line. It's recursive, and in a sense sidesteps(or cops out) on actually having to answer the question by saying, "all those connections exist, and they are all brought to the Island, because that's the way it has to be, because if they don't come to the Island, then they can never be hopping in time around the Island, and exist in the past on the Island."

The other thing that I was really interested in was Locke and Richard's communication, and the compass. So we all know where the compass is from. Here's my question. Does Locke end up running into Richard at some point in the past(for Richard(though given Richard's interesting relationship with time I don't know if you can really say that about him)) and use the compass to prove to Richard that what he tells him is the truth? Or should I say, is that its only purpose, or does it also tie in even more(in a recursive way) to why Richard wants Locke to come to the Island so badly? Does Locke run into Richard before Locke is even born? Is that why Richard keeps visiting Locke to see if he's ready to come to the Island? Because he KNOWS he eventually will? And is that why the compass "already belongs" to Locke when he's a child? Because Locke is actually the one who gives it to Richard?

The only other new story line this episode really brought up is the network of people on mainland Earth who seem to be involved in some sort of organization with Ben. The lady at the butcher shop, and the big reveal at the end with Faraday's mom. Or at least, I assume that's Faraday's mom. We all had called right from the beginning that it was going to be that lady from that first Desmond flashback after the hatch explosion(wasn't she also in that picture on the table of the monk in the other flashback as well?)

What is this game that's going on between Ben's group(or Faraday's mom's group it seems like) and Whidmore?

oh, I didn't think I could be as happy as I was when they killed Frogurt. I actually laughed and yelled "yes!"

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
At first I assumed this season would pick up with people getting back to the island and then filling in the gaps with flashbacks. Now I'm suspecting that returning to the island will actually happen at the end, although I'm unclear on how they'll drag it out that long. (So far the "theme" of each season is usually established in the first episode, and I'm not seeing anything other than people trying to get back to each other)

I'm a little wary of making time travel the key ingredient of the story. Time travel has to be done extremely well or it just becomes silly. The Terminator show works because time travel isn't relevant most the time. The people came back in time, now they're here and that's that.

I'm not sure I have faith in the Lost crew to pull a solid TT story off. Let's cross our fingers. (I suspect that they WILL attempt to do roughly what Strider's suggesting, whether they succeed or not)

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
So... is Sun's baby still an infant a few years in the future, or was it just an old picture?
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I loved that they actually told us things. Hell, they even told us when some of the things were happening (3 years earlier, etc.) That's a total break from the way they did things in earlier seasons.

And Ben has someone he answers to! That's great. She was the woman from the park bench in one of Desmond's flashbacks, yes?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

She's the one who sold Desmond the ring, and then talked to him about the universe course correcting and about how he HAD to go to the Island.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't watched the whole episode yet, but I was struck by how clunky the dialog was.

"We're either in the past...or the future."

"When am I?"

Also, does Sawyer not look nearly as fit as he did last season?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that the woman was the judge, from the episode where Juliet kills the guy so Kate and Sawyer can escape the little island.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I can't remember who that lady was, so I can't say one way or another if it's her or not. As far as I know that woman has appeared in two episodes. The first being Desmond's first weird time altered flashback where she sells him the ring and then explains things to him about the universe. The second time we see her she is in a picture on the desk of the head monk.
Strider
Member # 1807

oh, here's who you're thinking of:

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Isabel

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Funniest moment for me was when the police pulled Hurley over and I quipped "It's gonna turn out to be Ana Lucia," to my family.

And, what do you know? [Big Grin]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Can anyone explain to me the bit about Faraday's reaction to Charlotte's nosebleed? Is this anything we've had a clue about in a past episode? I can't keep all the bits and pieces straight--I rely on people like you to put it all together for me.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Hurley has actually gained weight since last season, I think.

The nosebleed thing made me think of Desmond and the dangers of getting unhooked from time without an anchor.

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
oh, here's who you're thinking of:
http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Isabel

OK. I found the jewelry store woman, and they're definitely different. They have similar eyes and expressions, though.

--

The nosebleed seems to be a signal that the person/animal is reacting poorly to the time travel and will soon die. Faraday's rat had a bloody nose, Minkowski started bleeding before he died, and the Dharma Initiative guy who tried to drill through that wall in the Orchid station also had a bloody nose.

--Mel

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Isabel is not the same person as the Jewelry store women. However the Jewelry store women is definite the same woman who is doing all the calculations and tells Ben he has only 70 hours and who might be Daniel's mother.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EmpSquared:
So... is Sun's baby still an infant a few years in the future, or was it just an old picture?

Sun mentioned that it was a "baby-picture" and that she'd like for Aaron and her daughter to meet and play together.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that they didn't use a current picture because there are future plans for Sun's daughter and they have not yet selected a child to play the part. They may have a part for her in the story that won't come in until a future season. If they pick a child actor now, she would be too old by the time her part comes. Or they may not have any clear plans but simply want to keep their options open. Either way they wouldn't want to show a picture that didn't look like the child they ultimately get to play the part.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

Well, there you go, bringing actual real production considerations into the picture.

I prefer to think that Sun just hasn't been able to get her daughter to Wally World recently and doesn't own a camera.

Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

Okay, so I gotta ask: I missed a few episodes, and now I'm wondering if anyone knows what happened to Michael and Walt after they sailed away.
Strider
Member # 1807

man...you missed more than a few.

Walt is back home living with his grandmother I believe.

Michael couldn't deal with the guilt of leaving his friends and after some failed attempts at suicide(the Island wouldn't let him die) he ended up working for Ben and was a spy on the freighter from last season. Once he completed his duties and made sure the Island and his friends were safe, the Island let him die(he died in the explosion on the freighter).

Achilles
Member # 7741

Perfect. Thanks!
The Rabbit
Member # 671

To be fair, we should say that Michael and Jin were on the freighter when it exploded and are presumed dead. There has been no confirmation of their deaths.

Given that this is lost, I'm at least half expecting them to show up alive on the island or maybe they'll show up on the island even though they are dead.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

We know that Hurley (and to a lesser extent, Jack and Kate) have all been seeing characters they should not have been able to see. On and off the Island.
Strider
Member # 1807

I'm willing to give you leeway on the Jin aspect(though what would be his prospect of surviving once the Island moves and he's not on it or near it?).

But the thing that sealed the deal for me with Michael was Christian Shepard showing up on the boat and saying along the lines of, "you can go now".

Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't watch all the of the pre-episode recap, but I was interested to hear one of the writers/producers say "Sun assumes that Jin died on the freighter," which seems like an odd thing for them to say if he really is dead.

But that might have been a deliberate red herring.

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
I haven't watched the whole episode yet, but I was struck by how clunky the dialog was.

"We're either in the past...or the future."

"When am I?"

Also, does Sawyer not look nearly as fit as he did last season?

Yeah, the script quality did seem down a notch. But Season 4's premier episode also felt a bit campy, and that turned out to be my favorite season so far, so I'll give them a while to redeem themselves.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
To be fair, we should say that Michael and Jin were on the freighter when it exploded and are presumed dead. There has been no confirmation of their deaths.

Given that this is lost, I'm at least half expecting them to show up alive on the island or maybe they'll show up on the island even though they are dead.

I would say that Michael is toast, and Jin is probably alive. I think that the boat blew up while Michael was right there with the explosives. I don't even if know if Michael will show up as a ghost after Harold Perrineau expressed his dissatisfaction over being killed, but Ana Lucia showed up again, so anything's possible.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Michael was already being prevented from dying, and the last words spoken to him were "it's okay, you can go now" so I think he's probably gone. (At least his consciousness is. If the ghosts are manifestations of something else, which I suppose is actually pretty likely, then he may be back)
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Michael couldn't deal with the guilt of leaving his friends...
I think having murdered two women in cold blood would be part of his guilt.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Thanks for the reminders about the significance of the nosebleed.

I don't even remember Christian Shephard appearing to Michael and saying that, and I've seen all the episodes. I think I'm just tired of him already. He keeps showing up mysteriously with no explanation.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I don't think it was Christian appearing to Michael. I think it was one of the Others (I mean, the other Others, not Christian. [Smile] ) The guy who at first pretended to have a beard.
Strider
Member # 1807

hah, Mr. Friendly was most definitely not the guy who appeared to Michael just before he died. I guarantee you it was Christian Shepard.

You can go now Michael

Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Friendly did come and visit Michael in New York. He recruited him into working for Ben.

So I really liked this episode. I loved the situational irony when Frogurt complained that they "had no fire." Also when Richard gave Locke the compass and John's response was "What does it do?" Richard looks up a little puzzled and said "It points north John". That was hilarious.

But I liked the idea that they are skipping through time, and it makes me thing that perhaps we might get a LOT of answers this season. One thing I wonder, is if we're going to see the virus. The virus that the Dharma initiative seemed worried about and the one that killed Rousseau's people. I don't think it's entirely false just because she's a little crazy.

One idea that a friend of mine had was perhaps the Losties become the island's original inhabitants. But at the time we thought that the guy from the Dharma initiative attacking Juliet was Frogurt, so that might mess with it a little.

I thought it was a great way of starting the season off, and really it seems like we might get a lot of answers in the coming months.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Mr. Friendly did come and visit Michael in New York. He recruited him into working for Ben.
ahh...very true. I thought we were only talking about the scene surrounding Michael's death, that's where Raymond must've gotten confused.
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.