FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lost Season 5 Thread (Page 10)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Lost Season 5 Thread
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
I love Hurley.

Yep!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
The whole Hurley/Miles thing was a fun nod to all the Lost discussion boards. And y'all were right about Ben, of course.
I'm anxiously waiting for Hurley and Miles to discuss the whole talking to the dead thing.
Ask and you shall receive.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed! [Cool]
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
let me reiterate...I love Hurley.

And let me just get this out of the way right now...I was in absolute Star Wars geek heaven last night. As if the multitude of Star Wars references weren't enough...we were even given a Star Wars analogy! The amount of pop culture overload I was in was barely manageable...but I held it together.

Alright...now that I'm over that, I thought this episode was simply awesome, and I can't explain exactly why beyond Miles and Hurley being hilarious together. The reveal of Miles being Cheng's son was pretty expected by everybody I think, but I do have a few new insights regarding Miles.

How Miles gets his powers

I think baby Miles is somehow involved in The Incident and gets his powers from that(eg. - any standard comic book superpower accident). I think that in the process of maybe trying to save Miles, Cheng loses his arm and has to get his prosthetic.

Do you think the nature of Mile's power is related to Desmond's consciousness jumping. Mechanism wise? And through some sort of similar means he's getting info about the person just before death?

Why Miles leaves the Island

Cheng obviously loved his son very much as a baby. I think he knows what's going to happen. Between possible communication with adult Miles and possible communication with Faraday, I think Cheng knows exactly what's going to happen in the future of the Island and sends Miles and his wife away to protect them, so they're not around for the Purge.

The Dead Dharma Guy

Okay, so we have a dead body, with a bullet like hole in its head. Which turns out to be a filling from the guy's tooth. Hurley asks how a filling could rip out of someone's mouth and exit through his brain. Well, we know the answer to this, because we know what electromagnetic force exists where The Swan(the hatch) is being built.

The numbers

Someone I was with said this, and I emphatically disagree with what he said, so I want to mention it. He said, "man, so the numbers were always just some random numbers written on the side of a door" implying everything stemmed from Hurley seeing these numbers being stamped on a door in the past. I disagree with that completely. These numbers are waaaaaaaay too prevalent throughout this series to be explained away through that means. They show up a few times an episode in every random way imaginable. We also know their relation to the Valenzetti Equation. Not only the prevalence, but the mystery and power of the numbers can't be explained through this random means. Unless the entire series is a paranoid delusion of Hurley who is really in a mental institution somewhere in America...

Bram

Okay...so this was big. Bram definitely doesn't work for Widmore. BUT, I kind of get the feeling he doesn't work for Ben either. The group he was with seemed too.....nice. Why did they want to help Miles? How do they know about him? How do they know about the Island? What group does he work for? And that question again...."what lies in the shadow of the statue". I have to say, at first i was looking at it as a sort of test question, like the code of a secret organization for members to be able to recognize and trust each other. Which I still think it is...but I also think there's something else to it. And I have to ask, what DOES lie in the shadow of the statue?

Faraday

I was so psyched to see Faraday. I missed him. As soon as Cheng said something about scientists I got excited. So we sort of know where Faraday has been. He left the Island and was presumably working with some other scientists in Ann Arbor on...what exactly? He must've gotten in with Cheng pretty early on to be sent off Island so quickly. So what has he been doing? And what is he back for(officially)? Does it have to do with the Swan?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Hurley's awesome
2) Yay, Faraday!
3) Can Kate stop being stupid, or is it like an addiction for her?
4) Sawyer's weird.
5) Cheng being kind of a jerk is pretty funny
6) Yay, Faraday!

And that is all.

Every week my one friend tells me he thinks each new episode is the best of the season. I have yet to see an episode this season that I could definitively point to and say; "The Best!" Although the Three Years Later one was pretty freakin' cool. Jury's still out -- I'll wait until we get to the Incident [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xann.:
Everyone want to hear sometihng cool, I found this in a random page in Wired magazine.

First there is a Lotto ticket with 4,8,15,16,23 MEGA NUMBER 42

Then it is strange. It goes like this
17 1 22 16 8 6
20 11 18 18 10 14
7 7 5 18 22 7 5 6
24 15 12 13 1 8
4 34 18 55 14 93
54 5 6 11 10 13
30 12 6 19 2 22 5
2 1 117 2 17 1 17

The first four are on one page, the second four are on the second page. There is no text, can anyone find a secret message? I can not.

It looks like it's probably a simply substitution cypher. Obviously not a=1, b=2, because there are some numbers higher than 26, but I bet if I had the time to mess with it... well, there are 26 unique numbers in it. And here's the frequency list of the numbers:

code:
1	4
5 4
6 4
18 4
2 3
7 3
17 3
8 2
10 2
11 2
12 2
13 2
14 2
22 2
4 1
15 1
16 1
19 1
20 1
24 1
30 1
34 1
54 1
55 1
93 1
117 1

I'd put money on 17 being either R or S, and 1 being E, but beyond that, codebreaking isn't really my thing. Anyone else want to give it a go? From what I can see, E A O and T are the four most common letters. When I saw that it had 26 unique numbers, I figured it might be something like "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog", because it'd have to use every letter in the alphabet, but it obviously isn't that.

My guess is that the line breaks are irrelevant, because the double 7 at the start of the third line seems unlikely. I mean, there are words that begin with a double letter (it'd have to be a vowel, unless it's Lloyd or llama), but not a lot of them. The combination 5-6 appears twice, and there's a double 18 in the second row. Maybe a T?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
va_treehugger
Member # 12028

- posted      Profile for va_treehugger   Email va_treehugger         Edit/Delete Post 
Am loving this season! Last season, I felt like they were throwing random situations at the viewer. This season is still bizarre, but they make the impossible, make sense.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leonide:
3) Can Kate stop being stupid, or is it like an addiction for her?

Seriously! [ROFL] I think the only episode during which she didn't annoy me was the one about Aaron.

I agree with all the Yay, Faraday! and I love Hurley sentiments around here!

Also, I'd really like to know what lies in the shadow of the statue, too, Strider!

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

Me three.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Me four through ten.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Kate. I don't think stupid is the right way to describe her. She leads with her heart not her head, she is very consistent about that. In this respect, she is the complete opposite of Sawyer. Jack on the other hand is all over the place. He sees him self as a thinker, a rationalist -- but he isn't.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Kate is pretty...
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

Kate is pretty. Sawyer is pretty. Hurley is beautiful.
Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
I like Kate. I don't think stupid is the right way to describe her. She leads with her heart not her head, she is very consistent about that. In this respect, she is the complete opposite of Sawyer.
I was saying to someone earlier today that I've come to realize that Kate is basically the female Sawyer, and that any sympathy I have for Sawyer I, for some reason, don't or won't extend to Kate, who usually has the same self-preservatory motives (Aaron situation non-withstanding) and the same general outlook on life. She's just not so snarky about everything. [Smile]

I'm not sure if you're saying her consistancy sets her apart from Sawyer, or her leading with her heart, but in either case I disagree -- she is "inconsistent" because she has changed as a character (caring for Aaron) and Sawyer absolutely leads with his heart, although his instincts sometimes trump his feelings. He's very smart, but not very logical, and often reacts before he consciously acts.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
I was saying to someone earlier today that I've come to realize that Kate is basically the female Sawyer, and that any sympathy I have for Sawyer I, for some reason, don't or won't extend to Kate, who usually has the same self-preservatory motives (Aaron situation non-withstanding) and the same general outlook on life. She's just not so snarky about everything. [Smile]

Sawyer was snarky about it because that's not really who he is. He's a good man who did bad things out of bitterness. Kate just isn't that good of a person. Sawyer's response to adversity was to mature as a person. He's grown up. He absolutely thinks before he does things. Kate reacts. She's ruthless, and I wouldn't turn my back on her if I was between her and something she wanted.

Whatever "moral sense" she has is limited to the specific issue in front of her. She doesn't even seem capable of seeing the bigger picture. We've never seen her risk herself for someone else, while we've seen Sawyer do so time and again. Does anyone think Kate would ever have jumped out of that helicopter (forget Aaron)?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Sawyer jumping out helped anyway.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Aren't we now witnessing Kate's maturity? I thought they were painting her very compassionately with her relationship with Aaron. And when she admitted that SHE needed Aaron - I thought that was very mature (though I didn't quite agree...)

Additionally, look at the sacrifices she is making for young Ben!

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
Of course, this raises the question of "Why Ben?" Is it just displacement of her feelings for Aaron? The "big picture" there would seem to be "don't help kid who turns out to be crazytown". [Wink]
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:

Yes, and I still keep wondering, why?

I guess I'm in a hopeless minority- I thought "Dude, I won't tell anyone about the corpse" was dumb, even for Hurley's level of naivité.

[ April 19, 2009, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: Sterling ]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
What pisses me off about the Ben thing, is the way it all goes down. Sayid is a stone-cold murderer, so why doesn't he walk straight up to Ben, and empty a magazine of bullets into his body, his head, everywhere, just to be sure the kid is completely dead? Sayid doesn't know that the future can't be changed, so why doesn't he go the extra step and finish the kid off? It stinks I tells yee!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Aren't we now witnessing Kate's maturity? I thought they were painting her very compassionately with her relationship with Aaron. And when she admitted that SHE needed Aaron - I thought that was very mature (though I didn't quite agree...)

Oh, please. That's just more of her refusing to see a bigger picture. She didn't make a sacrifice for Ben. She reacted to her own maternal feelings of having lost her son. As far as Aaron was concerned, she had no right to him in the first place. Jack had more right to him.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
I guess I'm in a hopeless minority- I thought "Dude, I won't tell anyone about the corpse" was dumb, even for Hurley's level of naivité.

Sure. But I'm not convinced that Hurley believes any of this is happening. Too many things (dead people, etc) have been messing with his sense of reality for him to really take things very seriously. That's one of the reasons, I think, for his laid back attitude. He probably thinks this is all happening in a snowglobe on the chief of medicine's desk.
Armoth
Member # 4752

I think they are trying to make a moral point. No one is judged based upon his ultimate end. You are judged by your past, not by your future.

The kid they would have been killing would not have been Ben. It would have been a child.

Not that I agree - I just think that's what the writers were intending.

Lisa
Member # 8384

You wouldn't kill Hitler before he started the Holocaust?
Armoth
Member # 4752

I said I disagreed. I thought they were being idiotic. But I think that the writers think they are making a moral point and that Kate is more moral than Jack. I disagree.
Strider
Member # 1807

I wouldn't kill Hitler as a child.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Oh I would. I'd fill him with bullets- of course, then none of us under 70 years old would have been born, but still.

Edit: And to preempt any logical eye fluttering going on, the most minuscule change in the past would mean that virtually every person born after that change (more than say, a few hours or a few days after, if that) would have the process of their conception slightly altered, meaning that they would most likely not be conceived at all- someone else, or no one, would take their place.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Or if it was lost, you'd go back in time and find out that YOU are Hitler. ::makes a confusing face::
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Or if it was lost, you'd go back in time and find out that YOU are Hitler. ::makes a confusing face::

Possible... nay, plausible.
Leonide
Member # 4157

Ben Linus reads a Nursery Rhyme
Tammy
Member # 4119

quote:
Ben Linus reads a Nursery Rhyme

I enjoyed that. He's good!
Leonide
Member # 4157

He's a riot and a good sport, is what he is! [Smile]
Traceria
Member # 11820

"Oh no, not I."
[ROFL]

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know what bothers me? That the Lostipedia website has nothing on the magazine thing I posted already, this episode I have been trying not to memorize all the numbers. Anyone catch the numbers of times the metronome went? 8-- I have the " the code for the fence is 141717"....... I think I am going to start going crazy for this code.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Off the top of my head, I'm gonna say the metronome number was 864. I don't pay any attention to numbers on Lost, so that is just what popped into my head when you asked. It could be way, way off.

That Mrs. Faraday really is hostile, isn't she?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I was almost positive he was his father. And I was even more sure she was going to shoot him. I wasn't sure she'd kill him, though.
Strider
Member # 1807

<-----extremely upset
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
<-----extremely upset

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Squirrel(on January 30th):
Could Whidmore be Faraday's father? The woman holding the gun on Faraday looks to be about the same age as Whidmore on the island.

Wow, I actually figured something out on a show/movie before it was revealed. This is new for me.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

864 is correctly, I believe.

I know...Daniel. *sniffle*

Achilles
Member # 7741

Yay, return of Free Will! Will it win out over Destiny?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I was almost positive he was his father. And I was even more sure she was going to shoot him. I wasn't sure she'd kill him, though.

She definitely shot him but it wasn't clear whether or not he was dead. His eyes are still moving in that last shot.
Traceria
Member # 11820

quote:
quote:

She definitely shot him but it wasn't clear whether or not he was dead. His eyes are still moving in that last shot.
And just because they showed Jack waving the journal around in the previews doesn't mean Daniel's a goner either. Man, I'm crossing my fingers now until next episode!!
Strider
Member # 1807

Actually, i don't believe Faraday is dead. Though I am a bit upset at where they went with that episode.

My comment is more directed at the producers.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:

I didn't think so. They looked like they were staring in a sort of dead way. I guess we'll see next week.
Strider
Member # 1807

I don't know whether to call the following a spoiler or not. Last week I would've said no. This week...all I can say is duly warned.

This is a video that was shown at Comic-Con 2008. It's been up on Lostpedia since last summer. I'm guessing i haven't posted it in this thread yet, I thought I had, i apologize for that. It's an older video, but super important.

Link

After you get past the silliness at the beginning, you'll be in for a real treat. Assuming it's canon, which I can't imagine it wouldn't be.

Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
Strider this is from a recent interview:
quote:
Alex: Moving on to more show, or so to speak, related questions. In the special alternate reality game The Dharma Project from last year. A lot of fans want to know, since basically funding was pulled out of the Dharma project last year, what was going to be the final revelation of The Dharma Project? Since The Lost Experience was about the numbers, and Find 815 was about the fake wreckage, so, what was going to be the final act of The Dharma Project?

Damon: Essentially the whole idea was to signal to the audience that our characters: Jack and Kate and Sawyer and Hurley and Juliet and Sayid were going to end up in Dharma times, and Faraday too, sorry, and Miles of course, strongly imply that our characters were going to appear in Dharma times. So that would be something that would be sort of set up in the Internet experience. I think some people believe that they hear Faraday's voice in the Comic-Con experience. These events are sort of partially canon but more promotional than they are canon. Giving the audience a sneak peak as to what the season is about.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

that's weasely of them. That is not only without a doubt Faraday's voice, but it was very intentionally Faraday. Does that mean they made a big plot change and now need to backtrack out of this, and figure because it wasn't aired on the show it doesn't matter?
Lisa
Member # 8384

With time travel, all is possible.
Strider
Member # 1807

dead is dead. [Smile]

that scene hasn't happened yet. unless Faraday is alive, that scene cannot happen, since there is no time traveling faraday alive to make it happen. and we know it hasn't happened in his past either.

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.