FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Its snowing in New Orleans

Author Topic: Its snowing in New Orleans
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand flurries that melt a few feet off the ground. But I had five inches on the stuff on my car when I left for work an hour ago.

I was hoping they'd close the office but we're a government agency so until the parish closes, we have to stay open. That didnt' stop the other girls in the office from calling and saying they weren't coming in so now I'm the only secretary here for the afternoon. They might close if it drops below freezing but then we'd all be stuck here because we don't know how to drive on ice.

*pout* I want to be out playing in it. I want to make my first real snowman and get into a snowball fight.

I keep looking out the window and laughing hysterically because a part of me really can't believe how much snow is out there.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you get pictures? That's awesome!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
How often does is snow in New Orleans? That seems rather unlikely.

Incidentally, we got a few inches a few weeks ago in Prague, but it all turned to a mass of muddy ice in a day or so. They are predicting a fair bit of snow in january- we'll see.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
It snowed last night here- in Houston, Texas. We took pics. [Smile]
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

Its been about two decades. It snowed in 1997 or '88 and my family was living in Gretna (New Orleans Westbank) at the time and we got just enough snow on our lawn to make one huge slushy snowball. People on the news have been throwing out '89 as another year but we had moved by then.

But this is quite a bit of snow for us!

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
So, you're all alone in the government office, left to do all the work, and you still have time to post on the Internet, huh? Obviously your supervisor is not in today, either. I won't tell on you, but it does strike me as a bit amusing that you moan about being left to do all the work.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

When I was posting, I was more upset about being left here alone while everyone else was warm at home taking it easy. I got my morning projects done and without my supervisor around to give me more, I was just left to drift into boredom while I answer the phones.
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
It snowed in Baton Rouge this morning too!

I made a little snowman.

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome that it's snowing back home.

It's 68 degrees in Los Angeles.

Hopefully it's still cold when I go home for Christmas next week.

ETA: Also, I remember the snow in '88. I definitely built a snowman in the yard with my dad and brother.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was hoping they'd close the office but we're a government agency so until the parish closes, we have to stay open. That didnt' stop the other girls in the office from calling and saying they weren't coming in so now I'm the only secretary here for the afternoon. They might close if it drops below freezing but then we'd all be stuck here because we don't know how to drive on ice
Wimps. [Smile]

I can't imagine what it's like to only get snow every 10 years. I imagine it must be pretty cool to get to experience that for either the first time or one of few times, but as an adult rather than growing up with it. And you're lucky you got decent packing snow. You can't make a good snowman out of just any old snow. Last year we had such good packing snow for a couple days that I rebuilt the snow statue of liberty from the past year. If I can figure out how to do a good snow Lincoln I think I might try it. It's the hat that'll pull it all together.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw this thread before I left home this morning, I bet myself there would be a message on my financial aid listserve from the very active member who's in New Orleans.

I was right. [Big Grin] And some of the other posters' responses were very funny.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

I didn't get to build a snowman but I did take a picture of one that a family built on the property (its a recreation park). And my mom built a snowman and a snowcat which I'm interested in seeing.

I saw snow once as a child while visiting family in St. Louis but its still been more than ten years for me. And it was gorgeous snow. We thought it'd be real slushy, and it is now, but we had nice fluffy flakes this morning.

Hopefully, I'll be in Japan this time next year and get to enjoy the snow, though I can understand why people who deal with it every winter are less than fond of it.

I did learn an important lesson about why gloves are neccessary for snowball-making. My poor warm-blooded hands! And to think that I laughed at my mom when she bought me a hat and gloves two Christmases ago. Too bad I couldn't find them today.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.