FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I need help understanding ECL

Author Topic: I need help understanding ECL
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Say someone is ECL +2 then in a ECL 5 campaign said character is level 3. But at level 3, to get to the next level they need to have the same experience of level 7 to get to level 4?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
No.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Dance.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I ask a question I expect a serious answer.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said: yes.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Like I said: no.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Like I said: yes.

I know you said yes, and I thank you, I am however angry at the people who did not say yes and elaborate.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Why get pissed? They were just joking around, you gotta learn to just Roll With It.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

An ECL link that may explain some things. Watch from 2:00-2:20 specifically.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
My YouTube is better than your YouTube. Plus I actually know one of the guys in mine [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Why level 7 instead of 6, Tom?

And Blayne, tone down the sense of entitlement.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Which edition?
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Why level 7 instead of 6, Tom?
You would be correct. I misread his question; all those 3s threw me. [Smile]

So, Blayne, the answer to your question is actually "no." The longer answer is that an ECL +2 character with three class levels has an Effective Character Level of 5, and thus to add a fourth class level must earn the experience required for a sixth -- not seventh -- character level.

Phanto
Member # 5897

is vindicated.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
is ambivalent.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
requires more dance.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
It should be noted that if you are just beginning and don't understand basic concepts, you probably shouldn't be playing with ECL races, unless you value being awesum!1! more than understanding the rules and a balanced, fun game.

I realize that Blayne is going to go for his half-dragon, half-unicorn, half-elf, half-cat girl lv 30 Pretty, Pretty Princess (homebrew prestige class) with her sparkly vampire boyfriend, but this is more advice for other people who might just be starting out and reading this for advice.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

<Removed post.>

[ December 12, 2008, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Oh and in addendum Dragons are awesome, you most definitely are not.
Phanto
Member # 5897

Control your 2cond grade anger, and start using grown-up level language to express yourself.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

fornicating under consent of the king?
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, please edit out the profanity in your posts, and refrain from using it in the future.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
how the frig is a half giant automatically psionic?
This is a nod to the Dark Sun 2E campaign setting.

Let me warn you against letting him be psionic, by the way. Psionics are hard to run, and they add a whole new set of rules -- and monsters -- that you need to figure out and balance. They're not worth it.

Once you've run a few games, THEN you can think about introducing the psionics rules.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And Squicky is being a jackass and until he stops I won't.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
how the frig is a half giant automatically psionic?
This is a nod to the Dark Sun 2E campaign setting.

Let me warn you against letting him be psionic, by the way. Psionics are hard to run, and they add a whole new set of rules -- and monsters -- that you need to figure out and balance. They're not worth it.

Once you've run a few games, THEN you can think about introducing the psionics rules.

I hadn't looked at it but the power points given to it didn't seem particularily good, especially if he takes barbarian or fighter rather then a psionic class.

I have the expanded psionics handbook, ill look into it before decided whether to have it or not, but I think its going to be moot as he wants a more physical kind of class, he wants to be a half giant because hes in real life like 8 feet tall and broad shouldered.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.