FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Getting friends to read good books....

Author Topic: Getting friends to read good books....
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I was rather delighted to discover that my favorite chapter of my current favorite book in my current favorite book series is not only available online, but rather stand-alone for being chapter 9 of a book. I think.

I'm the kind of person who gives too much information, makes everyone bored, and utterly fails at getting other people to try my favorite books and movies. This makes me sad, because I don't necessarily have bad taste, just bad people skills.

This chapter is pretty funny, and has a decent amount of exposition such that I don't think I would have to say much beyond the fact that it takes place on the planet Barrayar in the future (and is, hence, sci-fi). It could speak for itself. The downside is there are 26 characters who are mentioned at one point or another, and you miss 8 chapters of build-up that makes some of the bad things that happen even funnier.

I'm looking for a test audience. Here's the chapter: http://www.baen.com/chapters/acc_9.htm

So, reading this chapter having never read any of the books, are you totally lost? Are there any questions I could answer about the characters or provide info to make it easier. Would you read the next chapter or start at the beginning of the book? Could chapter read as a short story?

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Already read the book, so I can't answer any of your questions as I'm very familiar with Miles and his universe, family, and friends. This was one of the funniest of all the Miles books, I think.

My favorite book in the series, though, is Cordelia's Honor. It was more meaty. Miles is fun but a lot more frivolous than Captain Naismith.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I'm rarely successful at getting friends to read my favorite books, either.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't bother. Nothing annoys me more than that one book a friend is always after me to read. Though you can appreciate the thought, there is too much pressure involved, and usually I either like the book and then wonder if I understand it or appreciated it more than the friend, or I don't like it, and start thinking about what the friend likes about it, and why they would. Either way, favorite books are just too much or not enough of a window into somebody's soul. When people act as if their favorite books are meant to represent their thoughts and feelings, I get uncomfortable with delving into that world to either not understand them, or alternatively, not know what I am learning about them, because their experience of the book will always have been different. So I steer clear of recommendations unless I really mean it, and even then, I don't try hard.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the chapter was good, but I occasionally had trouble deciding if a character was being referred to by a less formal name or if it was a new person all together. Starting at the beginning would probably have been easier.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It took too long to load. I got bored and closed it.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
In my circle of friends I have the biggest personal library, so I'm pretty used to people coming to borrow books from me. I don't have to go out of my way to get them to read the books. [Smile] Although I have introduced several non-SF people to "Dune", the "Ender" series or Ph. K. Dick. For the first two it was a matter of telling my friends that the books were really good, and them hearing the same thing from other friends of mine who read the books. For Ph. K. Dick it was a case of me being certain that the person would like his style, and I wasn't wrong. At some point I guess it's just a question of telling the person "trust me, you'll like it". If they want to read it ok, if not, their loss. [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.