FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Appreciation Thread for Order of the Stick

Author Topic: Appreciation Thread for Order of the Stick
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I love this Webcomic Series! Its an epic D&D adventure! Not only that its funny if not downright hilarious at times, its amazingly well written, the characters are awesome and its just as good or better as many Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms adventures, its like watching a bunch of people play D&D, roleplaying and wisecracks about the gameplay at the same time, this combination of whimsical humor and serious consideration for a well run campaign is amazing and refreshing combination. Vaarsuvius and Belkar must be my favorite characters. Belkar is further proof of the workability of a Chaotic/Neutral Evil character in a party with many Lawful Good/Chaotic Good characters. V is just plain awesome. Explosive Runes, hehe.

[ April 16, 2009, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad she's gone off the deep end lately.

Elan and Hailey are my favorites I think.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Why do people think her gender is ambigious? They clearly showed its a she when she was changing behind an obstruction.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
V's gender IS ambiguous. Deliberately.

And I can't believe you're only now discovering OOTS.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I only discovered it when KoM showed me the comic about the Hexogonal grid ^-^
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

V is obviously female. *nods* Otherwise the sausage ratio would tip in a totally uncool way.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Not for the female readers it wouldn't. There's already a shortage of female geeks out there. Whatever it takes to lure more in is fine by me.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

How would having a powerful almost Raistlin like Androgynous Wizard thats confirmed as male as opposed to female lure more female geeks? I don't think there's that much overlap between Manga/Anime junkiechics and D&D fans.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I finally got to the Gygax memorial *sniff*

On the bright side now I only need to wait 49 years before I can use Drow in my campaign setting I'm writing Huzzah!

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Not for the female readers it wouldn't. There's already a shortage of female geeks out there. Whatever it takes to lure more in is fine by me.

This man speaks the truth. I'm sorry, I took one such girl off the market without replacing her with another. Quite selfish of me.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

That just means you have to produce one eventually.

Keep the geek replacement rate alive man.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Also the chances of V being male and gay from an Elven Community of Sun Elves while being married is to far fetched to be true. She sleeps in private rooms with Haley! Why would the others be so interested in listening in if she weren't female? I take at least 2 situations that are definitely female 1) Changing with the full upper and lower body being conveniently blocked by a corpse of a black dragon, 2) speech that implies great knowledge of the inner workings of relationships and of the inner thinking of females and 3) Sleeps in the same room with Haley but not with the others who with the exception of Belkar generally sleep in quarters separate from the females. 4) Thought this is a stretch she had this kinda wrathful indignation at times that I generally only see in females.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0568.html

Most. Awesome. Plot. Development. Ever.

I love Belkar as much as the next sociopath but c'mon that is the most awesome effort of spite on the behalf of any of his victims since forever.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Aha! Another point in favour of being female Belkar at one point kissed her, she didn't seem to mind it in the way a male might mind being kissed by another male but minded it only because A) married and B) didn't want Belkar lusting after her as his mind only understood 2 modes, hate or lust.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, though. V is an elf. Who's to say that elves react the same ways as humans do to such things?

Besides, V is a pretty unusual specimen anyway, what with the just slightly latent megalomania, obsessiveness, and, lately, callousness.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I wouldn't call it megalomania. Hightened Stress maybe.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You've fallen right into Rich's trap, Blayne. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Trap? Or just cleverly connecting the dots?
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
poor V
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
I would note this from the official FAQ:
quote:
Q: Is Vaarsuvius male or female?

A: I will never reveal the truth! Bwahaha! Keep in mind that while certain other characters might refer to V as being male or female, that simply reveals their perception.not the actual reality of the situation.

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Well V is the symbol for the chalice or basin which indicates female.

Yes yes I know that's mentioned in that lame book, The DaVinci Code which is factually suspect at best, and yes yes I know that V is just a nickname, but perhaps that nickname is intended.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Well V is the symbol for the chalice or basin which indicates female.

Yes yes I know that's mentioned in that lame book, The DaVinci Code which is factually suspect at best, and yes yes I know that V is just a nickname, but perhaps that nickname is intended.

But if it was intended, was it supposed to be a hint or was it a misdirection?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

Hmmm.... Somebody just Went off the deep end
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Go V Go! V has surpassed her previous level of awesomeness.
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome? V just committed a patently evil act. And it was stupid, as it's actually going to invite *more* reprisals than it prevents.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

I'd split the difference. V's just gone over to the Dark Side and become the comic's Big Bad... and the comic in general has surpassed its previous level of awesomeness. [Smile]
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Seatarsprayan:
Awesome? V just committed a patently evil act. And it was stupid, as it's actually going to invite *more* reprisals than it prevents.

Possibly, it seems an oversight to be sure but it was AWESOME.

Also the splice wont last forever in theory so V cannot possibly be the Big Bad except for maybe a few days or weeks depending on the splice'd souls.

Its funny how in the oots forums you still have arguing it was a good act because Black Dragons are "Always" Chaotic Evil and Dragonspawn and centaur dragons are "Usually evil" which in D&D terms is "Not evil"

However I stand that because it was the indiscriminate murder of up to a hundred dragons and even unborn children and thus innocent it is EVIL, but still, damn sexy.

Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Also the splice wont last forever in theory so V cannot possibly be the Big Bad except for maybe a few days or weeks depending on the splice'd souls.

Yes, V won't stay this powerful, but you're still dealing with a fairly powerful evil wizard post-splice. (V was deliberately singled out for this offer; I don't believe the demonic interest was strictly for the short term, and its related soul rights.) This is not going to end with V waking up and everything being all better.

Well, unless the whole thing is an elaborate dream sequence, but I really, really doubt that.
quote:
However I stand that because it was the indiscriminate murder of up to a hundred dragons
It could conceivably be way more than that. It's still not clear how far "family" extends in this context...
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I forget the Bilical phrase but its passing on vengeance down to the Nth generation. Its a bit vague but at a minimum her direct kin, sublings, and cousins and their children. This could go up the tree and killEVERY dragon related to her in some way up to a hundred going by epic spell rules.
ricree101
Member # 7749

Yeah, yeah, there's plot development and whatnot, but check out the sign on the fourth panel.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Blayne, would you be willing to change the first word of this thread's title from "Appreciate" to "Appreciation"? It grates on me every time somebody bumps it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking that. I do appreciate thread, it's very handy, but it has nothing to do with OOTS.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Your wish is my command.
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Blayne.

I'm curious as to where this is going. V's condition is temporary, and there's not a lot more evil I can see shim doing. So what was the FCC's motive?

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

To get an agent close to the Snarl.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Your wish is my command.

Thanks!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
@#$#@#$frack'n cliff hanger.

I have no idea what spell it could be,..

And I want to know...

NOW!

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

Seriously?

[POSSIBLE SPOILER FOLLOWS!]

It's possible that Rich is deliberately leading us on, but the obvious spell would be Explosive Runes.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Its very obvious its explosive runes, probably will kill or force the bird to drop the amulet into the snarl.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Explosive Runes is like V's favorite spell, I think.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Disintegrate is arguably hir favorite spell, Explosive Runes is just funny.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.