FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Havah and I got to see the movie last Thursday night (Capone at Ain't It Cool News had 200 preview tickets, and we snagged two).

It's not really the kind of movie I generally like. I think I wanted to see it mostly because the idea of aging backwards intrigued me.

I think that if this movie doesn't win multiple Academy awards, I'll be stunned.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it better than The Dark Knight?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
When did The Dark Knight become the movie against which all other movies are judged?

*ahem*

Anyway, I haven't been sure how excited to get about Benjamin Button. It's a got a cast of actors I like, a director I like, and looks sure slick... But the story, I dunno. I'm not especially enticed. I just get this Forrest Gump kind of feeling from the previews. "Look what we can do. This is art. This is art that will warm your hearts."

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Only because it came out this year.
I was curious because a review of the Dark Knight DVD said that it was probably the best movie of the year, and when asked why, they said they thought Benjamin Button might be better, and I like really long run on sentences apparently.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not at all interested in seeing this movie - like TL, I feel like it's trying a bit too hard. Plus I really doubt Hollywood has done anything special with the story.

I'm excited about Doubt, though.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
Is it better than The Dark Knight?

Dark Knight doesn't even deserve a best picture nomination this year. There's so much better.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Note that I didn't really enjoy the movie. But it's the kind of thing that gets Oscars.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
It's based on a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

That's the only reason I want to see it. F. Scott is quality. Spins circles around Hemingway.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with TL and everyone who thinks the film looks like its trying too hard. It just seems very melodramatic and dull to me.

I'll probably end up seeing it with my dad at some point because that man cannot stand to miss any movie shot in New Orleans. He loves to play "spot that landmark."

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Herblay:

That's the only reason I want to see it. F. Scott is quality. Spins circles around Hemingway.

Hemingway: "We went to the bar, and I asked for a drink. The waiter brought it to me, and the ice in it seemed to sparkle in time with the light from across the river."

Fitzgerald: "We went to the bar, and I asked for a drink. The waiter brought it to me, and the ice in it seemed to sparkle in time with the light from across the river, and it was glorious."

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Note that I didn't really enjoy the movie. But it's the kind of thing that gets Oscars.

I thought that was what you were saying at the first.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hemingway: We went to the bar. She asked for gin, I asked for a drink. So the bartender brought me ice water in a glass. The lights from across the river shone in it.

Fitzgerald: They went to the bar, where Elsie topped up with her usual. She stirred the ice with the tip of one red fingernail, listening to it clink against the side of her glass and watching it sparkle in time with the lights from across the river.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Hemingway: We went to the bar. I asked for a gin, and the bartender brought me one with too much ice in it, and the lights from across the river danced in the windows, and in the ice, and I realized that I was very sleepy.

Salinger: So I sidled up to this bar see, and I asked for a gin. So anyway, the bartender brings me this glass with a thimble-full of gin and about a million ice cubes in it. It was pretty awful. So I was looking out across the river, and there's this light shining in it kind of like the ice that was in the glass with all the old ice cubes in there, and I was suddenly feeling pretty lousy, and a little depressed.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

I take it you haven't read much Salinger....
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

So I take it you haven't kissed my ass recently.
TL
Member # 8124

Wow, that was hostile. What gives?
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Were you being unaccountably snarky about my writing? I am hostile to that kind of thing.
TL
Member # 8124

Well, no. I didn't think you sounded much like Salinger. Sometimes we hit the submit button probably before we should. About a second after I posted that I began to edit it to take that out and reply with a different Salinger, join in on the fun, all that -- take a different approach. But saw your reply before I got very far.

As for the rest, I don't tend to snark unaccountably. There wasn't a lot of hostility on my part, if you want to know the truth.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

Well, I think the contribution would have been better than the put down. For the record, I've only read The Catcher in the Rye, which accounts for the style.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Herblay:

Very, very, very loosely.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
I think the contribution would have been better than the put down. For the record, I've only read The Catcher in the Rye, which accounts for the style.
It wasn't a put down. But yeah.
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hemingway: We went to the bar. She asked for gin, I asked for a drink. So the bartender brought me ice water in a glass. The lights from across the river shone in it.

Fitzgerald: They went to the bar, where Elsie topped up with her usual. She stirred the ice with the tip of one red fingernail, listening to it clink against the side of her glass and watching it sparkle in time with the lights from across the river.

Pratchett: The pre-luncheon drinks were going quite well, Mr Bucket thought. Everyone was making polite conversation and absolutely no one had been killed up to the present moment.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Adams: Along the shores of the quaxi-megalon alpha river, where the quinscragulon mega sharks killed their pray with bolts of lightning from their eyeballs, Ford prefect walked up to a floating bar. More precisely, he fell up to the bar, getting his foot hung up on the bottom of the bar's artificial gravity well. He ordered a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster, and the electric waiter brought it to him, as bolts of lightning shot alarmingly from the eyes of the mega sharks.

Ford was drunk. He mulled this fact over in his mind. The thought swirled around, bumped into some people it thought it might know at the end of the bar, didn't know them, and lazily fell asleep. Ford was very drunk indeed- this much was true.

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
(Can't believe I'm going to attempt this) OSC:

"Well, we came to the bar. Let the debauchery begin."

"You're just jealous that I can enjoy my drink while your religious superstitions prevent you from having any fun."

"On the contrary, it's great fun to watch people pay a premium to become stupid and clumsy and hide their shame in faux pity for those of us with clear minds."

She retrieved her drink, and gulped half of it down. "Aah. Sweet faux fun." He couldn't help but chuckle, and then they turned to the menu. One thing they could both agree on was that the nachos were fantastic.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that if this movie doesn't win multiple Academy awards, I'll be stunned.

Looks like, according to IMDB, it has already been nominated for quite a few awards (mainly Golden Globe)
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Robert Heinlein write a story about a man who lived his life backwards? There was a similar theme in an episode of Fringe a few weeks back. It is not a totally unique idea.

The idea does imply a lifetime lived in violation of entropy. Telomeres steadily lengthening, and all. In the stories I have seen, the mother died in childbirth, which you would expect if she gave birth to an old man.

In one of the stories, the man is a renowned freshman college football star, but becomes so mediocre by his senior year that he winds up being thrown off the team.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
It is not a totally unique idea.

*blink*

One word: Merlin.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Didn't Robert Heinlein write a story about a man who lived his life backwards?

No.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:

OSC: Ender knew that in this situation, there could be only course of action. You have forced my hand Graff, but you will not defeat me. He walked up to the bar, and ordered a drink. Without sensing it consciously, Ender took account of the light filtering into the glass from across the river. He had seen this kind of light before, but where? I have seen so many things, he thought, I wonder if I am still capable of feeling surprised by anything. The ice danced in the glass, like children bouncing around in the null-G of the battle room. It was not a conscious thought that alerted Ender to the woman sitting next to him- he had not heard her sit down. But instead he had recognized the perfume she was wearing, and he searched his memory for a clue as to who this woman might be. How do I know you? he thought, how can you be a part of a memory I am not aware of?

"What are your thoughts on the 2008 Presidential elections of the United States of America on Earth 3,000 years ago?" the woman coyly asked. Historians had long agreed, wrongly, that John McCain had lost the election because he had been unable appeal to his base, when in fact, Ender knew, Barack Obama had always been an elitist academic snob with no interest in the values of ordinary Americans, and he had unfairly painted John McCain as a relic of a past age. I know better, Ender said to himself, but to the woman he only smiled.

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Didn't Robert Heinlein write a story about a man who lived his life backwards?

No.
Damon Knight wrote one.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Not sure who that is, Orincoro, but it's definitely not OSC. [Razz]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Well, it's me, if you want to get technical. Still, it's superficially OSCish. You have the "said silentlys" and the self questioning and the out of left field political statements, and, of course, the ennui.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Still, it's superficially OSCish.

Sez you.
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:

OSC: Ender knew that in this situation, there could be only course of action. You have forced my hand Graff, but you will not defeat me. He walked up to the bar, and ordered a drink. Without sensing it consciously, Ender took account of the light filtering into the glass from across the river. He had seen this kind of light before, but where? I have seen so many things, he thought, I wonder if I am still capable of feeling surprised by anything. The ice danced in the glass, like children bouncing around in the null-G of the battle room. It was not a conscious thought that alerted Ender to the woman sitting next to him- he had not heard her sit down. But instead he had recognized the perfume she was wearing, and he searched his memory for a clue as to who this woman might be. How do I know you? he thought, how can you be a part of a memory I am not aware of?

"What are your thoughts on the 2008 Presidential elections of the United States of America on Earth 3,000 years ago?" the woman coyly asked. Historians had long agreed, wrongly, that John McCain had lost the election because he had been unable appeal to his base, when in fact, Ender knew, Barack Obama had always been an elitist academic snob with no interest in the values of ordinary Americans, and he had unfairly painted John McCain as a relic of a past age. I know better, Ender said to himself, but to the woman he only smiled.

Definitely smacks of Empire, and is still reminiscent of most of his recent work, particularly that last sentence. I almost feel as if the last sentence is copied.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And Ender, of course, is a pivotal character in Empire.

[ December 24, 2008, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I cheated. I used a real Terry Pratchett quote instead of trying to come up with one on my own.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

How is that relevant? I thought the point was to emulate things like diction and cadence, which it succeeds at. Would it really make a difference if he replaced Ender's name?
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Empire is, IMO, stylistically and substantially very different than OSC's other work. Including in such things as diction and cadence.

If this was meant to be an Empire reference, Ender is an odd choice. And if it's not, then I disagree that it is particularly like OSC's fiction. Including in such things as diction and cadence.

EmpSquared
Member # 10890

Yes, there is a lot of variance in OSC's work, but Orincoro's emulation highlighted some things which, as of late, have stuck out like a sore thumb, not the least of which his tendency to be didactic. Which does happen in the Shadow series.

I will concede that it's the second paragraph that works a lot more than the first, though.

rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, the first wasn't bad. The second was way off in OSC-is-a-nut-ville. Maybe y'all live there, but I don't. [Razz]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

No, rivka you're absolutely right. The second paragraph I added as more a joke than a serious attempt at emulating the style.

Emp: The last sentence is not copied, but it appears in different forms throughout OSC's books. "But to the... he(she) only smiled. He says things like that all the time. "he only nodded," "he only bowed," etc.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the movie tonight. It was okay.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender doesn't drink. To be authentically OSC, the paragraphs would have to note that the drink was not actually alcoholic, or, if alcoholic, that it was not actually consumed. So OSC would've avoided such an awkward contrivance by not ever having Ender hang out in a bar.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the Red Dwarf take on the backwards living thing.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
I saw the movie tonight. It was okay.

There's a ringing endorsement!
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother liked it quite a bit more than I did, as with Australia.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So OSC would've avoided such an awkward contrivance...
I call. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Why the hell am I getting so much heat for off the cuff impressions of other writers? I don't see a lot of you guys making the attempt, yet you catcall from the peanut gallery as if your contributions would be so much better. So let's see em'!

quote:
quote:
So OSC would've avoided such an awkward contrivance...
I call. [Wink]
I'll put you all in.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro: the peanut gallery can be a pretty inhospitable place. But remember those of us who abide there don't have to perform, discussing others' performances is the whole of our job description.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Nice work if you can get it.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.