FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Obama Presidency Discussion Thread - JSC Healthcare Address (Page 4)

This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: The Obama Presidency Discussion Thread - JSC Healthcare Address
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
head-hurty values

ron v. blayne: A
music debate: D-
inaugural poem: A+

Sam V. The World, F+
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Obama's hit the ground running. Besides requesting a suspension of all war crimes trials at Guantanamo for 120 days ( MSNBC link), Obama has froze salaries of White House staff making over $100,000 per year ( MSNBC link):

quote:
... [Obama] froze salaries for top White House staff members, placed phone calls to Mideast leaders and had aides circulate a draft executive order that would close the detention center at Guantanamo Bay within a year...

The pay freeze affects the roughly 100 White House employees who make more than $100,000 a year. "Families are tightening their belts, and so should Washington," Obama said.

I haven't followed previous administrations closely enough to compare Obama's to, but it does seem as if he's making some quick decisions even before everyone's in place. I certainly don't remember so much attention focused on a new President as he takes office and begins his term before. I expect to see a lot more happening over the next few days and weeks that ought to really stimulate the national dialog, if not the economy.
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what did Bush do after all? He went to the balls and services, and then flew to Texas to do yard work. Slight exaggeration- but actually not THAT much of one.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Hands down, the most impressive thing (to me) in his early transition is the explicit emphasis on response to Freedom of Information Act requests to be at high priority. (link is to CBC.ca)

quote:
He also announced a change in policy that will require each federal agency and department to give full attention to freedom of information requests and said he expects members of his administration to be responsive to such pleas.

"There is too much secrecy in this city. Every agency should know … this administration stands on the side of those who seek to make information known."

"Transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this administration," Obama said.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
about the time that people start making fun of Jimmy Carter for saying "nukyuler".

I've been hearing that for years. When anyone bothers to talk about him at all.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
He's also made every day in the Oval Office casual day but overturning a Bush rule that mandated suit coats in the Oval.

No joke.

Clinton was confirmed today, 98-2.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Do-overs: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090122/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_oath_do_over_2
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
That is TOO funny!!!
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

After all, he had to be sure he was yotzei. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
After all, he had to be sure he was yotzei. [Wink]

I was JUST thinking that. We had a all debate in the beit medrash about it...
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Big Grin] Naturally.
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by Architraz Warden:
quote:
...an event planner who has the opportunity to choose something original by the same artist (if such material exists), and chooses not to.

You might be on to something, 'Imperial March' would have been a spectacularly more entertaining selection.
No, I was thinking of "Cantina Band."
Parade of the Ewoks.

I mean, duh.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
head-hurty values

ron v. blayne: A
music debate: D-
inaugural poem: A+

Sam V. The World, F+
By getting the + amended to the F, it means that I have at least made some people's heads hurt.

And I guess I can and should live with that.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

The rest of us have to.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as we're discussing the first 100 days, has anyone taken a look at his two executive orders?

The first covers presidential records, while the second is regarding ethics obligations for political appointees with an emphasis on interactions with lobbyists.

My first impression is fairly positive, but I don't really have much context for understanding them fully. I'd love to hear someone more familiar with this sort of thing weigh in on them.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

He also ordered a freeze on all White House salaries over $100K. No raises for the staff this year.

PS. I love the new whitehouse.gov. I don't recall it being that easy to find executive orders under Bush, and in general I think it's a lot more user friendly.

I scanned over the Ethics Agreement order and it looks cool. I'm not sure what the precedent here is, in that, I'm not sure how current ethics laws cover Executive branch officials and in what way this XO is an increase in the level of severity of the law or not.

Regardless of how it compares to the laws on the books, it looks like a good measure. Dagonee could probably offer a far more in depth look, or at least put it in context a lot more easily. But it looks to me like he's going after kickbacks. No gifts from lobbyists, no steering dollars towards certain companies, and you aren't even allowed to be a lobbyist for anyone you've done business until after you're out of your position for two years, and even then, you aren't allowed to come back and lobby the Obama Administration in any official capacity.

I'm not sure how well this would cover the spectrum of graft that already exists out there, but it looks like it's trying to take a good bite out of it at least. Context is everything, and I'd love to know more about current ethics legislation and how effective anyone might expect this XO to be, but the spirit is nice anyway.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Obama and Roberts redo the oath just to make sure.

quote:
Yesterday, Mr Obama joked with reporters about wanting to do it again. 'We decided, you know, that it was so much fun!' he said.

Then Mr Roberts asked him if he was ready to take the oath. 'I am. We're going to do it very slowly,' Mr Obama said.

If it weren't true, this could have been in The Onion.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yep. Have you heard that apparently some people are trying to make a flap over the fact that there wasn't a bible used in the second oath-swearing?

You may have to click through an ad to get to that story, by the way.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:
Yep. Have you heard that apparently some people are trying to make a flap over the fact that there wasn't a bible used in the second oath-swearing?

Give it up already, Ron! [Wink]
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Laugh] Kate
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:

You may have to click through an ad to get to that story, by the way.

[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Obama signs executive order to close Gitmo!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/22/guantanamo.order/index.html

Plus another one banning torture and other related orders.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Obama has issued an executive order closing Gitmo and all the CIAs secret prisons within a year.

full story

I'm a little disappointed that the time-line isn't faster but for now I'm willing to accept this as reasonable given the legal and administrative hurdles involved. If we don't see significant progress towards closing these prisons within the next few months or the 1 year deadline gets pushed back, this will seem more and more like posturing than real change. For now at least, I'm cautiously optimistic

The Rabbit
Member # 671

I missed it by that much. Its not really fair as my electrons had to travel all the way from the tropics and Strider is . . .

well actually I have no idea where Strider is but electrons are notoriously slow crossing through the Caribbean. They are just too drawn in by the don't worry, be happy culture and frequently stop to lime on a beach or flirt with the girls. I really didn't have a chance.

Strider
Member # 1807

You typed more words than me and shared more of your own thoughts. Sometimes it pays to be brief. [Smile]
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Wonder if he'll do anything about the practice of extraordinary rendition.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Obama has issued an executive order closing Gitmo and all the CIAs secret prisons within a year.

full story

I'm a little disappointed that the time-line isn't faster but for now I'm willing to accept this as reasonable given the legal and administrative hurdles involved. If we don't see significant progress towards closing these prisons within the next few months or the 1 year deadline gets pushed back, this will seem more and more like posturing than real change. For now at least, I'm cautiously optimistic

My god.

This is like being given a backrub by the news.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
You typed more words than me and shared more of your own thoughts. Sometimes it pays to be brief. [Smile]

That's right, blame the victim.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, CIA secret prisons. I wonder if we get to know where they were after they're safely closed.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
quote:

That's right, blame the victim.
you're not the victim, you're the loser. important distinction. [Razz]
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Kmboots, were you referring to me? I have no problem if Obama did a private repeat of taking the oath of office. I am glad he showed enough respect for the Constitution to do that, since the exact words are specified in the Constitution. So long as he did not swear on the Koran or something, who cares?

Too bad the whole Inauguration couldn't have been done in private, to save the country 160 million dollars for the biggest security challenge in history.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just teasing you, Ron. Though it is fine with me if someone takes the oath on the Koran if that has meaning for them.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Too bad the whole Inauguration couldn't have been done in private, to save the country 160 million dollars for the biggest security challenge in history.
You do realize that the $160 million dollar number is fraudulent?

Neither the security nor the parties associated with this inauguration were significanlty greater than what was spent for Bush's inauguration in 2005. Based on the best estimates I've seen, after adjusting for inflation the security for Obama's inauguration was actually less than the security for Bush's last inauguration.

Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
So long as he did not swear on the Koran or something, who cares?

He could've sworn in on a where's waldo book, it doesn't matter. He also doesn't have to say "so help me god" afterwords, that's his prerogative too.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
So long as he did not swear on the Koran or something, who cares?
Why would you care is he swore the oath on the Koran? What do you see as wrong about that?

Now if he'd sworn the oath on a copy of Dianetics or Atlas Shrugged, I'd find it cause for concern, not constitutional concern just personally worrying.

Strider
Member # 1807

Wouldn't it be awesome if he swore the oath on something like Speaker for the Dead? Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance would be pretty awesome.

I'd be terrified if he used something like Twilight or The Davinci Code.

Now, what would *really* be amusing is if he swore the oath on a copy of Audacity of Hope.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Now, what would *really* be amusing is if he swore the oath on a copy of Audacity of Hope
Well it would definitely add fuel to the "Messiah complex" fire, if you find that kind of thing "amusing".
Mucus
Member # 9735

So, in other words, you believe that it would be seen as audacious?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope he would
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Out of curiosity, if anyone here was sworn in, what would you be sworn in on?

I'd probably be sworn in on either a copy of the Constitution or the bill of rights. Or maybe just a book of US laws. JQA had it right.

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Now, what would *really* be amusing is if he swore the oath on a copy of Audacity of Hope.

:: laugh ::

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I'd probably be sworn in on either a copy of the Constitution or the bill of rights. Or maybe just a book of US laws. JQA had it right.

Yep, Constitution for me too.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I'd be sworn in without my hand on any book. One's word should be valid regardless of where ones hand is when one makes it.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
So, in other words, you believe that it would be seen as audacious?

But perhaps beyond hope.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
The issue is that after being accused of being a closet Muslim, Barack Obama swore up and down he was not Muslim, but has been a Christian for decades. I understand that there was a Congressman a while back who did take his oath of office on a Koran. No big deal, as long as his constituents knew up front what they were voting for.

By the way, Rabbit, I don't see Islam as being any better than Dianetics. They are both religions I suspect of being dangerous to humanity.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Islam is a religion which over a billion human beings find to be deeply meaningful. Over its history, Islam has had no greater tendency to violence and intolerance than Christianity.
Mucus
Member # 9735

In the interests of unity and peace, I'd like to declare that I agree with both of the previous two posts fully.
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I don't really care what it is. As long as it's huuuuuuuuuuuge.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Islam is a religion which over a billion human beings find to be deeply meaningful. Over its history, Islam has had no greater tendency to violence and intolerance than Christianity.

Yes, but most of Christianity has grown out of the pogroms and urge to genocide. Islam has yet to do so. There's a difference.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd be sworn in without my hand on any book. One's word should be valid regardless of where ones hand is when one makes it.

It's a miracle. I agree with the Rabbit about something.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
quote:

I don't really care what it is. As long as it's huuuuuuuuuuuge.
I believe Colbert called it, "The Hogwarts' Book of Spells."
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  23  24  25   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.