FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pennsylvania Earthquake 2008

Author Topic: Pennsylvania Earthquake 2008
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
There was an earthquake in Lebanon, PA early this morning. I've never been in an earthquake before. It was wierd, there was a rumble like thunder, then the whole house shook for a couple of seconds, a few more seconds of rumbling and then it was over. It was only 3.3 or so though. Still, a new experience.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it a true earthquake?

I use to live right on the edge of the Everglades here in Florida. Several miles away they would frequently do blast mining for limestone. I was 2-3 miles away, but when the charges would go off the whole house would shake for a few seconds. Really unsettling.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the link, I'd say yeah it was a true quake.

We had one here in Chicago a couple years ago that I didn't realize was a quake until I read the news the next day. I live so close to the railroad tracks that I thought it was just a heavily-loaded freight hitting the track switch that's a few hundred yards from my back door.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't even see the link. Too early for me, I guess.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I forget the number of the one we had in May, it was pretty similar I think. (Here is Indiana)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 11808

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen         Edit/Delete Post 
Some news reports said there was minor damage, which usually means things falling off shelves. That would be more typical of a quake of magnitude 4 or better. But this was a shallow quake, whereas a deep one might have been five or more miles farther down, so people over the epicenter would have been really close. The USCGS also said it lasted twenty seconds, although most people felt it for far less. That often means the earth ripped along a considerable distance, which in turn can mean that people who live where all the earthquake waves happen to arrive at the same time can get a much larger jolt.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/last_event_states/states_pennsylvania.html
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=40.11,-76.42&z=11

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.