FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Language Games for little Kids

Author Topic: Language Games for little Kids
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I had my second day of classes today. I will be meeting with about 18 groups of students a week, with zero repeats, meaning a lot of my lessons need to share elements or be completely portable between classes. The students range from advanced (communicative to near fluent) high schoolers, to surly and non-communicative remedial 9th graders, to fluent or near fluent children 5-10, to non communicative children of that age.

On thursday I will be teaching a range of kids from about age 5 to 10. The level is beginner generally, with a few kids in the communicative range. It will be 5 classes, and the head teacher asked me to prepare a lesson that involved music.

Here's what I was thinking for this week (and it will work for next week as well, as it is a whole NEW set of kids again!). I can write a short song for the guitar involving some of the animal sounds. I can combine this with pictures of animals, and a review of the names and sounds they make. We can go through various stages- identifying and repeating the animal names and sounds, acting out the animal actions with the sounds, drawing the animals in a pictionary-type game, and finally singing a song that incorporates the information into one fluid song and dance.

Any suggestions on all of this? What animals would you include, and how would you tweek the exercise? Do you have any other games for the students to learn information at this level? My requirements are: the students must talk as much as possible, the students must be in one group (splitting doesn't work because I don't speak Czech, and have no co-teachers), and the students must have fun.

Edit: As an aside, it would be difficult to convey the mental confusion induced by dealing with a group of unenthused 9th graders who answer you in their own language, which just happens to be a language where the word "no" translates into English as "yes." "Do you understand?" "No." "Can you say it in English?" "No."

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.