FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you had a million billion USD's, what would you do?

Author Topic: If you had a million billion USD's, what would you do?
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I would buy the space shuttle!
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I would buy you a fur coat.
But not a real fur coat, that's cruel.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously doubt that there is even a million billion dollars in the world so it's hard to say [Razz]
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Donate a bunch of it to the Kyle David Miller Foundation and Safe Kids to get car seats into the hands of parents who can't afford them and teach proper use.

Give a bunch more to organizations that feed the hungry (especially those like Heifer Int'l that focus on teaching skills and providing materials to allow families to become self-sufficient and lift communities out of poverty.)

Give a bunch more to Doctors Without Borders, Operation Smile, and several other pet medical causes.

And, buy a house. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Threads:
I seriously doubt that there is even a million billion dollars in the world so it's hard to say [Razz]

It's about 15.5 times the world GDP, according to the sources I could find.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
So there's the answer... I'd buy the world. Fifteen times.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
About a year I had this sudden thought about how, if I won the lottery, I'd use it to open up after-school centers in New Orleans East. Staff it with great people and have sports and different activities. Teach them karate or how to swim, etc. I used to hear horror stories from teachers about security guards getting beaten up by elementary students. It'd be nice to give them a place to go after school just to have fun and learn how to be healthy, happy kids.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
...Fear that the world was about to make a massive switch to the barter system, because I had all the money?...
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd pay off my house.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:

Why not buy 15 worlds?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm, the GDP is just an annual measure. It would be like buying a business for its earnings for merely one year. Going further with the analogy, currently businesses have price/earning ratios ranging from between 8 to 18 depending on the expectation of future earnings with lower numbers usually associated with smaller risk.

So theoretically, if you considered the world a company, having 15.5 times the years GDP should let you purchase the world only once or twice.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course even this analysis ignores the fact that the USD is essentially just a fiat currency, in other words it has no intrinsic value beyond what the US government has declared. If in fact, that amount of money appeared and the US government magically had no way of removing that money from your hands, you'd promptly have a massive inflationary crisis on your hands.

This is because the rest of the world market, knowing that the supply of USDs suddenly multiplied almost beyond belief would of course immediately devalue the USD massively against their own currencies. This of course would result in massive economic crisis as no one in the US would be able to buy a thing from the outside world and would of course blame it all on you.

Amidst grinding poverty and hatred, you would promptly killed.

You could partially alleviate the problem by switching to a million billion USD's worth of gold. But of course gold is only valuable because it is rare. Such an influx of gold would eventually really have the same problem.

This of course ignores the problem that a million billion worth of gold by my calculations would be roughly 3.06 * 10^10 kgs or 260 CN Towers worth of gold.

In other words, if you were simply given that amount of gold you would probably just be instantly crushed into a thin organic paste, unreachable as the gold would probably then sink a good portion of the way into the ground.

Probably best to just stick with winning the Powerball or something.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In other words, if you were simply given that amount of gold you would probably just be instantly crushed into a thin organic paste...
Well, when I do check out of this world, that's the way I want to go!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I took the question to be hyperbolic, the substance of which was, "If you had enough money to do everything you wanted, what would you do?"
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what I would do? I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
amd you would quickly learn that a million billion dollars isn't what it use to be.

It would then be worth 12 cents. Maybe.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
About a year I had this sudden thought about how, if I won the lottery, I'd use it to open up after-school centers in New Orleans East. Staff it with great people and have sports and different activities. Teach them karate or how to swim, etc. I used to hear horror stories from teachers about security guards getting beaten up by elementary students. It'd be nice to give them a place to go after school just to have fun and learn how to be healthy, happy kids.

"Security guards are getting beat up by elementary kids! What's the best way to solve this problem?"

"Teach the kids karate?"

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The neighborhood conversation would go something like, "Three weeks ago, a billion dollars would buy ya two loaves of bread. Now it takes 50billion dollars to buy the same amount." As of Friday, one U.S. dollar was trading at around ZW$25 billion.

Which is ~US$40thousand per million billion Zimbabwe dollars. Too bad it's illegal to trade with Zimbabwe. At four cents a pop, alotta friends would be surprised to find themselves overnight billionaires.

[ January 10, 2009, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Build a space elevator.

Colonize Mars.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Hatrack because (at least in part) of threads like this. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
Scrooge McDuck-style swimming pool, anyone?
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:

I don't want the world, I just want your half.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure I'd also go out to eat.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd pay someone money to go door-to-door beating the crap out of everyone who lowers the signal-to-noise ratio of forums I frequent.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd found a mega-university.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's about 15.5 times the world GDP, according to the sources I could find.
Then I guess I'd convert most of it to pellets and use it to heat houses.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I would buy our sun, then make plants pay for photosynthesis! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
erm, who are you buying the sun from, and how are these plants paying?

Mucus: seriously laughed at your post. Oh man.

I'd consult economists about what to do about the inflation I just caused by creating a lot of money that doesn't belong, and afterward, what to do with my money.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
I would buy the space shuttle!

"But who's gonna fly it, kid? You?"
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd take Porter out for some nachos at Los Hermanos.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hank:
Scrooge McDuck-style swimming pool, anyone?

I'm changing my answer to that.

I'd want the wacky adventures too.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in REI over the holidays. I was suprized and saddened to realize that anything that they stocked that I really wanted, I already had. I'm afraid that would happen quickly with regard to everything if my funds were near unlimited.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I go to REI everything I want I look at the pricetag of and say "crap, why are nice things so expensive"
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"...Zimbabwe's central bank is set to introduce a $Z100trillion banknote - worth about £22..."
or ~US$330 per million billion Zimbabwe dollars.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I would purchase Fort Knox, hire a security detail, convert ALL of my wealth into gold coins and other precious metals and gemstones have it all poured in in a massive lake of coinage and sleep in it as a bed.

And fund genetic research into being able to with a single injection turn me into a Ancient Lightning breathing Blue Wyrm.

And then I will spend the rest of eternity sleeping in my bed of wealth waking up only to feed on lamb, virgins, general tao chicken and to terrorize Kentucky.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
More seriously (talking about, say, the "incredible but not completely ridiculous" billion-dollar level), I'd start a publishing house. I'd buy novels, scripts, and music that I thought was cool, even if it didn't necessarily fit market analysts' idea of what was "viable". And I'd buy up all the rights for Firefly/Serenity and give them all back to Joss Whedon to use as he wished.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.