FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Home biofeedback, brought to you by Star Wars

Author Topic: Home biofeedback, brought to you by Star Wars
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Use the Force, geek!

quote:
A simplified EEG-based game using the Star Wars license tricks kids into thinking they have Professor X-like abilities, when all they're doing is learning to activate one part of their brain.

This Force Trainer, priced at $90-$100, hooks up to your head via wireless headset and transmits your reading to the toy, which blows air and moves the ball up the chute.

Kind of cool, and yet... How about actually using that power for good instead of money? Biofeedback can be a powerful tool for controlling everything from anxiety to depression to asthma and beyond. But, where does it first come on the market for the general public? A toy, of course!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
A good friend of mine has been working on his masters in electronic music, and he mainly focuses on using bio-feedback in live musical performance.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Why when describing a Star Wars Force Trainer would use the example of a Marvel superhero? They couldn't think of someone more apt?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe because the power doesn't actually seem Jedi-like? [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes because of course economic realities mean that there is money around for this company to just do good with.

I mean really how dare they just try to make money selling a toy.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I just find it strange that no one is developing a program to use at home to conquer anxiety through learning calming routines and mastery of one's brain waves, etc.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm disappointed in Gizmodo. Since when is Professor X actually telekinetic?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
But there are tons of biofeedback machines that you can use at home for exactly that purpose, kq. Just google "biofeedback machine" to see tons of them for sale
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I'm disappointed in Gizmodo. Since when is Professor X actually telekinetic?

I hate myself for not noticing that.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
But there are tons of biofeedback machines that you can use at home for exactly that purpose, kq. Just google "biofeedback machine" to see tons of them for sale

Okay. But are they really being marketed to the general public? I just haven't seen them, I guess, while this one popped up all over as soon as it was announced.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
My first exposure to biofeedback was a demonstration of a program with a copper sensor at our school that had users try to fly Icarus across an ocean (not too close to the sun or water.) 'Twas pretty neat.

The "Jedi hairdryer" isn't exactly the first consumer app, though:
Journey to Wild Divine
OCZ's neural actuator

Emotiv headset

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
A good friend of mine has been working on his masters in electronic music, and he mainly focuses on using bio-feedback in live musical performance.

Ooh, bio-feedback connected to a thermin could be cool... [Smile] (I know that's probably not what your friend has in mind, I just thought it was a neat image.)
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:

Okay. But are they really being marketed to the general public? I just haven't seen them, I guess, while this one popped up all over as soon as it was announced.
There used to be one or two different models available at The Sharper Image. I always used to wander in there to look at the gadgets, altho I never bought anything - just like everyone else, I guess.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:

Sure. Expensive ones, mostly. (Not without cause.) How do you get people interested in expensive gear? Add geek appeal. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.