FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why is this a bad idea?

Author Topic: Why is this a bad idea?
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Column

It doesn't directly attack venture capitalism, but it does seem to discourage the kind of flighty investing that creates bubbles, while raising revenue. I don't know how it will affect foreign investing, but a transaction tax leading to a dip from foreign investment may not be such a bad thing.

[ January 13, 2009, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
One of many reasons it is a bad idea: we would collect hardly anything during normal times. Stock transactions would flee overseas. Companies wishing to engage in such transactions would operate through non-US-based subsidiaries and avoid the tax entirely.

It would also have essentially no impact on 'flighty investing that creates bubbles'; the profits being made during bubbles are disproportionately large, and a small tax on them is not a disincentive.

I can keep going with a longer list, but here's the short summary: it raises a small amount of revenues, costs citizens far more than that in lost values (compounding gains alone!), wouldn't accomplish the listed goals, and would make people less likely to fund things such as the small businesses that are usually what lift the US out of depression. Heck, just the additional cost to small businesses alone, which engage in many small loan transactions and the like, would be devastating to the economy.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that there would be plenty of ways to avoid such a tax.
For foreigners, it would be simple for an American company to trade their stock (or create a class of their stock that) only on foreign exchanges, avoiding the tax at least for foreign investors. This would be similar to the A and H structure of shares in Chinese companies where only foreigners typically trade the latter.

It wouldn't be a big stretch of the imagination to think that Americans can eventually figure out loopholes too.

Also, this would seem to hit the arbitrage market pretty disproportionately. Structures like ETFs ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchange-traded_fund ) should see their spreads increase to at least the size of the tax. I don't know what the long-term effect of this would be, although I suspect there would be a great incentive to simply move overseas.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds awfully like a "stamp tax". Isn't that about where we came in?
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like an extremely low sales tax.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.