FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Any UK posters here?

Author Topic: Any UK posters here?
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working with a man from the UK and I'm having a bit of an issue with what I can only assume is a dialect/vocabulary/culture issue.

This man and his family recently visited Hawaii and became ill while here. I am investigating his case and have been communicating with him by email only. I have had no face-to-face meetings or phone calls with him. I asked him to list his symptoms, and he listed the following:
quote:
Stomach cramps, slight nausea, followed by sickness and diarrhea
So, "sickness" is not very specific to me, so I requested clarification.

quote:
When you say you suffered from “sickness and diarrhea”, do you mean vomiting? Or more of a general malaise?
He replied thusly:

quote:
when I refer to sickness I mean actually retching with the loss of stomach content through the mouth
Well, that's pretty much the definition of vomiting, isn't it? I'm pretty sure I know what happened and am well on my way to closing out his case, but I'm wondering what the issue is here.

Is this fellow just squeamish about the word "vomit"? He didn't have a problem with "diarrhea" so that seems odd. Or do folks from the UK use "sickness" the way we use "vomiting" in the US?

Again, at this point, I'm more curious than anything else, and was hoping Hatrack could help me out.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard "I was sick" used quite often to mean "I vomited".
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I texted my brother who lived in the UK for a few years if he knew, I'll edit this post with his answer if and when he responds. [Smile]

Edit: His answer, quoted exactly.
quote:

Sick is usually the word used for vomit - "I was sick all over her face."

Ill is used for everything from loss of limbs to a mild cold.

[ January 13, 2009, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Vadon ]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've also heard it used as a noun sometimes, as in "There is cat sick on the carpet, please clean it up."

Possibly he saw that there was some confusion and wanted to give as technical a description as possible in case he used another noun you weren't familiar with or that you meant something different by "vomit."

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
from
http://www.yourdictionary.com/sick

under the heading :sick Synonyms:

"in British usage sick generally means affected with nausea"

You are welcome

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Brit talk clarification: to be sick, usually means to throw up. if you 'are sick,' it means to puke.

exa: 'The cat's been sick on the carpet' means the cat threw up on the carpet.

In addition 'sick' is also used to describe vomit.

exa:

Moon: 'We dont need to listen to the words of the journalists'
Vince: 'Well, thats good, 'coz theres no words in this one. Just a picture of some sick with our names underneath it'

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

Brit talk hurts my head...
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Maui, in the second exchange, I think he's pulling your chain a little bit. Your asking for clarification of the word sick, by asking about the (to British ears) technical term for the same thing, and British people respond this way sometimes by going over what you say and being even *more* technical to have you on. I wouldn't worry about it- you got the definitions right. Sick and "to be sick" are terms for vomit in the UK.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

I've heard a lot in this job... more euphemisms for vomit and diarrhea than I can count. But usually when folks are describing their symptoms, they'll either be extremely clinical about everything, or very vague about everything. I figured that there was a vocabulary thing here.

This is fascinating to me. Thank you for all of your responses.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

You are welcome Spock.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, 'being sick' or 'sickness' is definitely the same thing as throwing up.

If it's flu or a bad cold more likely you'd say 'I'm ill' or 'I'm unwell'.
But if someone says something like 'I've just been ill all over the floor' that means they've vomited.

'Sick' is also a noun for vomit. As in 'I'm not touching that, it's got sick on it'.

If you're taking the day off - when you call in sick and you're really just skiving - that would be 'throwing a sickie'.

I think the word 'vomit' is often seen as a rather nasty technical term - a bit coldly formal and overly descriptive, somehow.
But as Orinoco said, there's no reason not to use the word when asked to clarify.

There really are only a very few words with different meanings between American English and British English, but they can be so confusing if you're not expecting them.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I would think that this

quote:
Your asking for clarification of the word sick, by asking about the (to British ears) technical term for the same thing, and British people respond this way sometimes by going over what you say and being even *more* technical to have you on.
is what's going on.

Some Brits like to feel superior about us not "talking right" sometimes.

Personally I'd send back an overly polite e-mail explaining that "sick" in America means "generally ill" and that you needed specifics. He'll either laugh at your American-ness, or have the good grace to be a bit ashamed of himself.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

quote:
You mean 'speaking correctly'. [Wink]

I don't know why some people do that (along with correcting American spelling).
I think it's probably a combination of ignorance and insecurity.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say it's mostly insecurity, as well as a remnant of a colonial history. If you want to go even deeper than that, British culture maintains remnants of French philosophy (as do we in America) and attitudes towards nobility and high birth that are very closely connected with the way people speak. Somewhat unlike America, even the language that people speak, such as the French that the English royalty spoke until recent times, remains a key aspect of their social position. The ascendancy of English as a uniting language in medieval England is not dissimilar to the ascendancy of English as an international language today. British people sometimes neglect their own history, and forget that their "received" language has actually changed more in recent times than colonial variations have, and that to start with, English is an amalgamation of languages adopted in order to facilitate wide ranges of use- and this is why there remains such a continuum of dialects in the UK to this day. Any English person that scoffs at an American spelling or a usage variation is just being very petty- but to an extent, English people also feel very strongly about some very petty things, and there are some interesting reasons why that is.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
quote:
You mean 'speaking correctly'. [Wink]

That is precisely why it was in quotations. Guess the funny didn't survive. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Any English person that scoffs at an American spelling or a usage variation is just being very petty- but to an extent, English people also feel very strongly about some very petty things, and there are some interesting reasons why that is.

I don't think that British people are unique in that.

Once again, Mahalo plenty for your input. I learned something new today.

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

quote:
Guess the funny didn't survive.
Oh, no. The funny was still there. [Smile]
That was just my best miserable pedant impression.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.