FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Movies you love to hate (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Movies you love to hate
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The thread "Movies that aren't even good for one viewing thread" reminded me of yet another class of movies: Movies you love to hate.

These are the movies that are so bad they almost transcend badness. Movies that you like to watch just because its fun to laugh at how pathetically bad they are. Sometimes they can even get to be virtual classics (at least with in a certain social group) with people quoting classic bad lines.

Tell me I'm not alone in this one. What are the movies you love to hate.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just start with the classic: Plan 9 From Outer Space
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
My first two: Starship Troopers and Bring It On
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
Spy Kids 3-D. THE best movie-going experience my friends and I ever had together. Especially when Elijah Wood kicked the bucket, though I have nothing against him.

Also, The Transporter. Quote from friend: "That movie was so bad it was good. If I had to choose again, I'd still pay $8 to see it."

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The original Night of the Living Dead. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes ("Puberty, puberty love...").

I like Bring it On. And it's twin sister Stick It.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
'Napoleon Dynamite'

Some loved it, but... I couldn't stand it. It wasn't funny to me, it was pointless, and it stole a couple hours from my life I'll never get back as well as the time of others making grating references.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Jason and the Argonauts.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Mars Attacks!

I laugh both with, and at it. My hubby hates it. To which I reply "ack Ack ack ack ACK!!"

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
And it's twin sister Stick It.

I've watched this a few times when it came on cable, and I like it too. It's definitely not high cinema, but it's enjoyable, and the lead actress is pretty hot.

To add to the list, New York Minute.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vadon:
'Napoleon Dynamite'

Some loved it, but... I couldn't stand it. It wasn't funny to me, it was pointless, and it stole a couple hours from my life I'll never get back as well as the time of others making grating references.

I think, for you, this falls squarely in the "Movies I hate" instead of "Movies I love to hate"...

I will give you my letter "T" list:
Twister
Tron
Twilight

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

Oooh, Twister is a good one.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes for sure!

The Star Wars Prequels, especially if you start replacing certain words from lines with "Pants". You can get some interesting results that way!

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
especially if you start replacing certain words from lines with "Pants". You can get some interesting results that way!

Whaaat?
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of my friends feel that Titanic belongs in this category, although I think it's actually good, for the most part.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Titanic. It made a billion dollars. How can it be bad?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It made a billion dollars. How can it be bad?
I think that's what Microsoft says about Vista. [Smile]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
SkinWalkers.

Gun-toting Werewolf Granny.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

quote:
Originally posted by sndrake:
quote:
It made a billion dollars. How can it be bad?
I think that's what Microsoft says about Vista. [Smile]
Yeah, but I wasn't forced to buy a $150 ticket to Titanic when I bought my computer.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
SkinWalkers.

Gun-toting Werewolf Granny.

You keep trying to ram that movie down our throats. [Wink]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I love it, like a mother hen loves an ugly chick.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:

PSH. I love to love both these movies. They're so sickly awful and weirdly interesting.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

PSH. I love to love both these movies. They're so sickly awful and weirdly interesting.
I wasn't going to be the first to admit it.. but yeah...
Jhai
Member # 5633

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

I wasn't going to be the first to admit it.. but yeah...
Isn't that the point of this thread? If I ever flip past either of them on TV I always end up watching them all the way through. I love them. And I think they're awful movies. Or does my relationship with them belong on a thread entitled "Movies you hate to love, but still do, anyways"?
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Starship troopers it he BEST!!!!!

C'mon. Anyone who watches How I met your mother can appreciate Neil Patrick Harris as the brilliant scientist mind who saves the world!

My move i love to hate is AI. I HATE AI.

Some people think that a movie that makes you cry is good - I think so too, so long as it is meant to be productive in some way, or if one can relate or learn from that emotion.

AI tries to make you cry for the sake of crying. Why don't you just kick me in the crotch?

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I've got a BUNCH of these! How about...

Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot! starring Sylvester Stallone
Legend starring Tom Cruise
Anaconda starring J-Lo and Ice Cube

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Anaconda, wow I'd completely forgotten about that movie. That was one seriously over the top bad movie. You rarely find a movie quite that lovably bad with such a big budget. Definitely much better if viewed as a comedy than a horror film.

[ January 15, 2009, 05:49 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Caveman definitely falls into this category, but it's only perfect if it's hosted by Gilbert Gottfried, Cat Psychologist. Our copy of the movie (sadly, lost long ago) was taped off of USA, back when they had the Up All Night program. A few years ago I saw Caveman on DVD, and it just wasn't the same!

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
Fern Gully, sort of. There's actually some very funny and talented people involved with it, so it is often funny in ways that it intended to be funny, but it is far MORE funny in ways that it intended to be dead serious.

"What are you doing?"
"I'm carving your name [into the tree]"
*Long, dramatic pause*
"Can't you feel it's pain?"

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
My move i love to hate is AI. I HATE AI.

Some people think that a movie that makes you cry is good - I think so too, so long as it is meant to be productive in some way, or if one can relate or learn from that emotion.

AI tries to make you cry for the sake of crying. Why don't you just kick me in the crotch?

I was furious by the end of it. Just such a horrid movie, playing on feelings, like you said, just for its own sake. Stupid, stupid, stupid, and I will never watch it again. Same with Pay It Forward, which was actually a pretty good movie except for the ending.

The two most evil movies I've ever seen, and I use the word with full intent, are The Hitcher (the original, with Rutger Hauer) and Se7en. Both of them made me want to take my brain and eyeballs out and wash them off in lye.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
the best love-to-hate movie is Ichi the Killer.

It's so bad, like, one of the worst movies possible, but it is terrible in a way which is 'arty' and violent enough to endear itself to idiots.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with the AI haters.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hank:
Fern Gully, sort of. There's actually some very funny and talented people involved with it, so it is often funny in ways that it intended to be funny, but it is far MORE funny in ways that it intended to be dead serious.

"What are you doing?"
*Long, dramatic pause*

I totally internalized that lesson only to later find out that plants don't feel pain. I was pretty annoyed.

I submit Killer Clowns From Space, and Three Kings.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second the vote for Twilight.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The two most evil movies I've ever seen, and I use the word with full intent, are The Hitcher (the original, with Rutger Hauer) and Se7en. Both of them made me want to take my brain and eyeballs out and wash them off in lye.
I loved Se7en. I mean, it wasn't award-winning material, but it's hard not to like a movie with both Kevin Spacey and Morgan Freeman. They were their usual awesomeness, I thought. Pitt was pretty awful, though.

Titanic and Starship Troopers most certainly belong on the love to hate list.

Here's another: The Cutting Edge. Talk about cheese, and yet I'm compelled to watch it all the way through every time I see it on.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The Core was also a crime against humanity.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

Oh!

A Few Good Men.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
Oh!

A Few Good Men.

What? That's not THAT bad of a movie.
rollainm
Member # 8318

When's the last time you saw it?

Don't get me wrong (or, rather, don't forget the stipulations of the category), I love watching it. But you have to admit it really is pure cheese. It tries too hard.

Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
A few good men is FANTASTIC.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Hank:
Fern Gully, sort of.
"What are you doing?"
*Long, dramatic pause*

I totally internalized that lesson only to later find out that plants don't feel pain. I was pretty annoyed.

Did you also believe that littering and stabbing people in the face are morally equivalent, because my childhood Fern Gully phase definitely included that. Also, I like the token hip-hop-flavored song...with leeches as high-pitched back-up singers.

May I also submit The Gnomemobile? A.K.A. the darkest days of Walter Brennan's carreer.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
There are some weird movies listed here.

Mars Attacks - The only part of that movie that I really like is when the aliens destroy Congress and the crazy old lady laughs and points at the TV while saying "they killed Congress!" Heh.

Twister - Dude, what was wrong with Twister? Helen Hunt, sweet CGI, storm chasers, romance, comedy, drama, it had everything! The only thing bringing it down was Bill Paxton, but you can't condemn a good movie just because he's in it.

Titanic - The fact that it made a billion dollars is just proof that woman have both a high level of purchasing power and a high level of influence over men.

Ferngully - I grew up on it, so naturally I love it. Mostly I just watch it for Batty. Even now he still cracks me up whenever I think about that movie.

A Few Good Men - I thought this was actually a pretty good movie, and that most other people thought it was at least decent as well. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the premise behind a movie someone loves to hate.

The Gnomemobile - I watched this a lot when I was a kid, along with Darby O'Gill and the Little People (I think I have that name right) and a few others. So I have fond memories of it (that and the fact that I can't get that Gnomemobile song out of my head), but I wouldn't put it up for any awards.

I don't know if I really have any movies that I love to hate. I think if you rephrased the category as Awesomely Bad rather than love to hate, it'd be easier to classify some things, because movies that are that bad I don't hate it all. But really, the absolutely ultimate awesomely bad movie for me is Snakes on a Plane. Congo is up there somewhere too, either because I like Laura Linney and Tim Curry, or because I watched it a lot when I was younger and always thought it was really funny.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
the best love-to-hate movie is Ichi the Killer.

It's so bad, like, one of the worst movies possible, but it is terrible in a way which is 'arty' and violent enough to endear itself to idiots.

You haven't seen Gozu, have you?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I didn't get what 'love to hate' are supposed to be. They're the 'this movie is so bad, it's good!' type?

Well, for that one, I'd go with The Gods Must be Crazy

And on A Few Good Men, I don't think the movie tries too hard so much as a few of the actors do to no avail. Jack Nicholson and Kevin Pollack were fantastic. Tom Cruise and to a lesser extent Demi Moore? Not so much. [Smile]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

The Gods Must be Crazy is one of the funniest movies ever made. I don't think its in the least bit bad.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I forgot to mention one of my favoites, "Night of the Lepus", Giant killer rabbits rampage across the southwest US. It was supposed to be a horror film, but no matter how big they made the bunnies look and no matter how many close up of rabbit teeth they show, they still look like fluffy bunnies. And as a plus, it stars Defoest Kelley.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
The Core was also a crime against humanity.

And yet, it was fun to watch.
Traceria
Member # 11820

quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
Here's another: The Cutting Edge. Talk about cheese, and yet I'm compelled to watch it all the way through every time I see it on.

Ha ha... Oh yes, that one definitely goes on the list!

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
The Gods Must be Crazy is one of the funniest movies ever made. I don't think its in the least bit bad.

I completely agree. II, not so good, but the first one is BRILLIANT.
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:

The thing with The Gods Must Be Crazy is that it doesn't take itself seriously at all - it acknowledges that it's a silly movie, and that keeps it from being bad.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm definitely agreeing with "Bring It On". After seeing "Twilight" for the first time I thought it would end up in that category, but I found that after some time has passed I don't like it enough to put it here.

My personal additions to this list would be "Escape From New York" and "Spiceworld".

And possibly "Matrix: Reloaded" even though I can't make it all the way through. The sex scene is funny enough to sit through the first part, at least.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
My personal additions to this list would be "Escape From New York" and "Spiceworld".

Oh, didn't even think of Spiceworld! This little girl I used to babysit over summers was hooked on it, and I found I could watch it several times in a row simply because it fits in this category of movie. Also, she was less of a brat when a movie was showing.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.