FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Song titles that make songs sound more inappropriate than they really are

Author Topic: Song titles that make songs sound more inappropriate than they really are
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Take the Skinheads Bowling -- Camper Van Beethoven

I thought of this, because it is my favorite Camper song, but to someone who knew nothing about them would probably get some strange ideas about me if I were to recommend it (they'd still have some strange ideas after listening to it, but they'd be different ideas). Anyone else have song titles like this?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
A certain Spinal Tap song comes to mind.

[ January 16, 2009, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
"We Wanna Rock" by They Might be Giants. Not inappropriate, really, but a lot more headbanging than the song. For the reverse it's "Twisting" which sounds like a dance tune but is actually referring to the fact that your ex-gf wants to see you twisting in the wind. The great thing about it is the tune is actually a twist tune, and works as well as, say, "Twist and Shout".
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Twisting is one of my favorite TMBG songs.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
"If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me?" - some country song from th(I think) the 70s.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought it was a classic and awesome example of ambiguity in sentences.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
That too
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
"Smack my Bitch up" by Prodigy. It is one of only two lines in the song, the other being "Change my pitch up," so the song doesn't really deliver on the promise of domestic abuse lyrics.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hit Me Baby One More Time" - Britney Spears
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
That song is pretty inappropriate. Inappropriate in the sense of sucking really hard.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread reminds me of a phenomenon my brother and I have observed with some bands. The music behind the vocals is often a lot 'happier' than the subject matter. A lot of the time, it's light night and day. Ex: Though the title is something of a give away for the lyrics, Razorblade (you'll have to click on the little play button down in the track listing for track 4) by the Strokes is one of those songs.
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.