FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me expand my horizons.

Author Topic: Help me expand my horizons.
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like some book suggestions, and I haven't read much [Embarrassed] .......
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.amazon.com/Fun-with-Dick-and-Jane/dp/0448434113/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233274675&sr=8-3
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, out of what you've read, what's your favorite genre?
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, there is a thread here listing what everyone has read this year.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Cosmos by Carl Sagan (non-fiction, awesome, about astronomy)

A song of ice and fire by George R.R. Martin(an epic fantasy series set in a knights and kingdoms time)

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury

The three-pound enigma (about the brain)

Conversations with Neil's brain (also about the brain) Both are readable, though.

Dune By Frank Herbert (awesome sci-fi story)

Flowers for Algernon (I read it in one sitting, if that's any testament to its readability and quality)

Cold Mountain

Iliad (It's better in hindsight. Remember that.)

Odyssey

The ten most beautiful experiments (George Johnson) (an overview of some simple, but revealing and important experiments in the history of science)

Take your pick. These are some that stand out in my mind as being good.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, also Something wicked this way comes by Ray Bradbury (a fanciful scary story which is really about two boys learning about life, and associated themes. Really very good)
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Starsnuffer:
Oh, also Something wicked this way comes by Ray Bradbury (a fanciful scary story which is really about two boys learning about life, and associated themes. Really very good)

Ray Bradbury. Mmmm...good stuff.
Something Wicked was one of those that had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I really love The Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man, too. What a cool concept for the second.

I read "A Careful Man Dies" (in The Cat's Pajamas) and was so thrilled with it that I started explaining the whole story to my roommate at the time. The look on her face clearly said, "What kind of sick person are you?"

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

quote:
Originally posted by Starsnuffer:
Cosmos by Carl Sagan: READ

A song of ice and fire by George R.R. Martin: READ
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury

The three-pound enigma (about the brain)

Conversations with Neil's brain (also about the brain) Both are readable, though.

Dune By Frank Herbert: READ

Flowers for Algernon (I read it in one sitting, if that's any testament to its readability and quality)

Cold Mountain

Iliad: READ
Odyssey: READ

The ten most beautiful experiments (George Johnson) (an overview of some simple, but revealing and important experiments in the history of science)

Take your pick. These are some that stand out in my mind as being good.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

I also read the Martian Chronicles.
Member # 11614

quote:
Originally posted by EmpSquared:
Well, out of what you've read, what's your favorite genre?

I like sci-fi, but I also like nonfiction that has to do with biology. Fantasy is not that fun to me but I will read pretty much anything........ >.>

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.