FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes 4 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Heroes 4
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
No, it was still red lighting.

Does that mean that Ando wasn't betraying him in the future, but that he was pumping him up sidekick style?
He's the ultimate side-kick, this is exactly what power I would have given him >:0
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

ARGH!
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Daphne really dead? Will Peter learn how to control more than one power? Will Claire ever do what either of her fathers tell her?

Tune in next week...

Seriously, Daphne got offed pretty quick, but I wonder how long it'll take to bring her back, if they do. How long can Hiro remain powerless and useless to the show, or for that matter, alive? And while I like a less powerful Peter, a Peter who can only hold on to a power at a time makes him a lot less interesting. Does he have to relearn how to hold on to more powers or recall them?

And come on, does Sylar REALLY need a sidekick?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

I know right?

WTH is with them not giving hiro his powers back in the first two episodes!

Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I think you're nit picking. I thought the show was good. They needed to transition the show from what it was to what it is going to be from here on out. They didn't have time to give Hiro his powers back. I was just happy that they acknowledged that he needed them. That gave me a warm fuzzy that he would get them back sometime soon and would become useful again.

I don't know if Daphne is really dead but she doesn't seem to have died in such a way that coming back is likely. I'm thinking they really offed her. It's certainly a way to put a fire under Matt.

Oh, and I used to live near Russellville so that was pretty neat. Many of my in-laws still live there so I'll have to call and tell them. I don't think they shot the show there, though. [Smile]

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Oh yeah, and Syler -- yeah, I think he does need a sidekick. I think they're basically doing x-men and Syler is Magnito. He always has the best lines, doesn't he....it was something like, "I didn't kill you and for me, that's big."

I love that the groups are coming together so that we don't have to have our attention torn 12 different ways. This is where I think the show needed to have gone from the start.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a whole lot positive to say about the episode, but I do think that Peter's change makes him MORE interesting.

Previously the only question was: in what stupid way will Peter fail to use one of the many powers he has?

Now he can actually start acting intelligent, and his storyline can go in very unpredictable directions depending on who he touched most recently.

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah the Sylar/Magneto thing occurred to me. Is that kid supposed to be the beginning of his Brotherhood of Evil, or whatever it's called?

And yeah, I AM nitpicking, but I'm still watching. [Smile]

I will admit that the end of the episode was nice. It's nice to see the battle lines more clearly drawn. It just feels like a lot of the pieces are still missing. I'm forgetting some of the names, but it feels like there should be more people on their team. If they were going to do X-Men, why couldn't they get there faster?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking Magneto/Brotherhood tonight. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the Magneto thing is kinda obvious, especially since his new sidekick reminds me of Pyro from the X-men movies, who also has heat related powers.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I started thinking Magneto last week. This week just really reinforced it. Now that they've cut out the shadowy Pinehearst/Primatech blah blah groups and really just narrowed it down to the Government vs. the Mutant Do Gooders, Sylar's role becomes in the mold is naturally Magneto's. All he lacks is a clear connection to Peter (assuming Peter is Professor X), though Peter has one with Nathan, which sort of keeps the spirit of the dynamic alive.

But Sylar isn't trying to fight for mutant rights. If anything, judging from the first kid, it's shaping up to be the Brotherhood of Disaffected Youth.

PS. I always thought of Meredith as Pyro...where as this kid uses microwaves to boil people's blood!

Mocke
Member # 11963

- posted      Profile for Mocke           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Peter can't fly anymore. At least, that's the impression given. Once he took Mohinder's power, he lost it. Then when he took Nikkiclones power, He lost the superstrength. Hence why there wasn't a guard beatdown on the plane.

2. You mean to tell me that A> Some American agency can just waltz into Japan and take a Japanese guy? And believing that, How did they get Hiro from Japan to North Africa in 2 hours. Whatever jet they use, I want.

3. The jet used to carry the hostages shouldn't be pressurized. That type of jet never is.

4. Is Peter retarded? What was his last scene with Mohinder in season 3? With that in mind, if you just happened to get in a taxi he was driving, wouldn't you get right back out? I would. I sure wouldn't sit there and have a friendly chat about how crazy it got. "Man, we were so wild. Remember that time I experimented on you? AWESOME!"

5. Is it secondary mutation time already? Is Claire going to get that superstrength she always dreamed of? Is nathan going to get to shoot lasers? Why not, since Parkman can suddenly draw the future.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Seriously, Daphne got offed pretty quick,

Inevitable offing is inevitable (her power's too good to allow her to be part of the new Underground Mutant Squad).
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

What, they can have Rogue (without the flying), Professor X, useless human and power stealing guy, but the Flash upsets the balance?

Part of me thinks she isn't gone, but at the same time I almost imagine she'd have to be. Her death was the catalyst of way too many things, and having her survive (other than the fact that it'd be silly for so many vulnerable people to keep surviving gun fights) would undo everything they are doing right now. The Hunter (cripes...) wouldn't have had his little nutty when all those guys were killed by pissed off Parkman, and Parkman might not have joined them.

Besides, near as we can tell there are no more time travelers, not with Daphne dead and Hiro powerless for none.

I'm not sure if I'd happier with a Joss Whedon death of random violence or with her being killed as an actual plot device. I guess I go with the latter, only because it shows a glimmer of hope that the show actually HAS plot.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Rogue could punch the crap outta everyone and be super-immume to damage and fly and steal powers all at once. If there were a rogue, you would have to off her.

If Parkman had Xavier's powers, he could literally read every guard's head, including the commander's and nathan's, tell them to send messages back to washington saying 'everything's koo' then get the guards to drive them back to the suburbs, build the Parkman Institute for Higher Learning FOR him, then forget that they did it and where it is. So if there were a professor X, you would have to off him.

Etc.

Flash girl was not conductive to Needs of Plot. She would create too many problems. You would always be asking "why don't they just get She-Flash to do X" or "why doesn't flash girl just Y" and thus she must become Obviously Dead (by which I mean, 'looked so dead that she won't turn out to be alive for at least three episodes')

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well, watered down versions. You're no fun. [Wink]

I'm okay with her being killed off though, for reasons stated above.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
the question I have is why a series that is alledgedly so bad got a 4th season when Jericho, the paragon of awesome got only 1 and a half?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mocke
Member # 11963

- posted      Profile for Mocke           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne -

Depends on the Network I guess.
See also: Firfly

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne:

Are you really suggesting show length is a good indication of quality?

Have you even seen] some of these long running shows out there?

It has nothing to do with quality. It has to do with popularity. And popularity means dollar signs.

That's kinda how it works, because these people aren't exactly making television for their health, you see.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
the question I have is why a series that is alledgedly so bad got a 4th season when Jericho, the paragon of awesome got only 1 and a half?

Heroes' season one averaged about 14m in nielsen ratings. By the time the season 3 arc was concluding, viewership was heading down towards 7m.

The series was not just 'allegedly' bad. It was bad, and the catastrophic ratings freefall was emblematic of that fact. Nerds can be pretty loyal to crap like Heroes. When you are losing 1 in 2 nerds from your nerd show and your season premiers advertised during the super bowl finish third in the timeslot with a series that is getting so god-awfully insipid that you cannot expand the market beyond nerds, you are beyond being in trouble. The thing that has saved Heroes is that its ratings crash synced with an overall NBC ratings crash, lending them towards a more conservative (desperate) attempt at maintaining something of a unique network identity. Had season 3 not coincided with a ratings freefall for NBC in general, Heroes would have been lost, like nerd tears in nerd rain </roybatty>

It remains on the thinnest of thin ice. Profitability concerns likely dictate that heroes' fate is dependent on ratings recovery.

In descending order of probability, here are the scenarios for Heroes.

1. Continues to suck, is canceled.

2. Improves storyline, cannot sufficiently recover viewership due to damage to franchise image, is canceled.

3. Improves storyline, begins sufficiently recovering viewership, but profitability concerns get Heroes axed on the rebound.

4. Improves storyline, survives.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
No, it was still red lighting.

Does that mean that Ando wasn't betraying him in the future, but that he was pumping him up sidekick style?
That's what it seems like.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I'm ok with Daphne dying. Actually, I think it was great. It made me a little sad, which must have meant they got me to care about her just a little bit. Plotwise, it served a purpose. It wasn't random or meaningless. I think the last time a character died and I was saddened by it was Mohinder's neighbor in the first season -- the girl who could control people? (I can't remember her name, possibly because she used 2 of them.)

re: inconsistencies from season 3 -- I think the writers are doing their best to forget that season 3 and, to a lesser extent, season 2, existed. Since I am attempting to do the same thing, I am rather enjoying season 4. [Smile]

Seriously, though. What we have here is a good idea that went bad. We can either lament the fact that they are not acknowledging the corners they wrote themselves into or try to give them one last chance. And since I'm still watching, I figure I may as well go the one last chance route. There's no point in watching otherwise.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I have a sinking feeling it won't last, I actually liked this episode a lot. I only have one major qualm, which is that it's kinda stupid for Nathan and Bennet to STILL be flipflopping between good and bad guys. I'd like to think that'll be answered satisfactorily, but I doubt it, and am willing to forget all the waffling they've done in past seasons in hopes that the rest of Season 4 will have actual character development.

Sylar continues to be my favorite character. He really needed a companion to let his character grow. Last season they bounced him around so many companions (Mama and Papa Petrelli, Peter and Elle, none of whom had good chemisty with him). I like the new guy, and I loved the "epic-ized" Sylar theme song at the end with the two of them.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
"You're going to torture me in front of them?"

"No. I'm going to torture them in front of you."

I knew exactly what he was going to say, but it was still awesome. It's so great to see Sylar back to his normal driven, ruthless self.

The hero powow after Daphne's death felt forced (the dialogue! Ouch!), but it moved the show in a direction I liked, so I was willing to accept it.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I didn't actually think the dialogue was that bad. Some of that stuff just has to be said, if for no other reason than to elicit an objection that can be dealt with.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I agree that the powow needed to happen, I just thought it could have been done with less cheesy dialogue.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
"...we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds,..."
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Heroes would be ten times better if Churchill had powers and joined up with the gang.
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
They already have Hitler, so indeed, why not?
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'd say to add FDR too, but just one of his speeches would take up the whole episode. He'd make a good Professor X though.
swbarnes2
Member # 10225

- posted      Profile for swbarnes2           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
I only have one major qualm, which is that it's kinda stupid for Nathan and Bennet to STILL be flipflopping between good and bad guys.

I don't think Bennett has ever flipped. I think his motivation has always been to protect his family, and if that means hurting other people to do it, he does it. It's just a very ugly stance to take when what he's doing is rounding harmless people up to imprison them for life.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by swbarnes2:
quote:
I only have one major qualm, which is that it's kinda stupid for Nathan and Bennet to STILL be flipflopping between good and bad guys.

I don't think Bennett has ever flipped. I think his motivation has always been to protect his family, and if that means hurting other people to do it, he does it. It's just a very ugly stance to take when what he's doing is rounding harmless people up to imprison them for life.
I also do not think his motivations have changed much. He's really always been into 2 things: controlling people with powers and protecting his family. Last season he sided with Peter et al because Arthur Patrelli wanted to give powers to everyone and that would be a serious problem with most of his motivations. That done, he's back to helping to control people with powers.

Notice, though, that he protected Peter twice in last night's episode. Apparently he has some residual compassion for the person he fought side by side with last season. Plus, Claire loves him so that's also consistent.

I actually think Bennett is one of the least flip-floppy characters on the show.

Syler only works for me if I pretend season 3 didn't happen for him. The thing with Elle was absolutely awful. I like him as a bad guy but he really needs to get control of himself at least enough that he can interact with other people from time to time. That's why I kind of liked that he got a side kick. I just hope he doesn't go the way of Elle.

Nathan has been a bit flip-floppy, although once again if I ignore season 3 it's better. His motivations then made no sense. Between season 1, 2, and now he was clearly a power-hungry man in denial about his own powers, finally had to face the truth, and is now back in denial about himself but willing to sacrifice everyone around him, including his brother, for the sake of his own power trip.

Mohinder makes no sense. I kind of hope he's the one leaving the show.

The second worst flip-flopper, IMO, is Peter. He's always been generally heroic but he strikes me as the most plot-driven character.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
I actually think Bennett is one of the least flip-floppy characters on the show.
That's because his motives have never changed.

Of all the characters on the show, Bennett and Hiro have been the most consistent. Regardless of who they've been affiliated with at various times, or what they've been doing, it's always flowed from the same basic set of principles. Bennett has done a lot of weird out of left field things, but it all falls under the umbrella of protecting his family. When given the chance to join Nathan's mutant hunters, he joined up because he knew it was his best chance to protect Claire.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Sylar continues to be my favorite character. He really needed a companion to let his character grow. Last season they bounced him around so many companions (Mama and Papa Petrelli, Peter and Elle, none of whom had good chemisty with him). I like the new guy, and I loved the "epic-ized" Sylar theme song at the end with the two of them.

Actually they should just go with my idea, where sylar gains a superpower that lets him transcend shows. He teleports to Dexter, offs him, and takes over the show.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Dexter would destroy Sylar.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
He'd certainly give him a run for his money. In particular because Dexter would figure out what Sylar is before Sylar figures out who Dexter really is. Sylar's a lot more blatant about the "I'm a psycopath" thing.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Dexter would destroy Sylar.

"Lie detection" as a power = gg no re
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Oh man, I forgot about that.

Sadness...

Still, I'd pay to see a Sylar/Dexter crossover.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

Sylar's current suite of powers actually makes him more interesting than he was prior to shanti exposure. A lot of chaff was done away with and now he's got just the right amount of powers for supreme badassery.
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Waaaaaait a a second!!!!

If Ando ENHANCES powers then maybe Hiro will NEVER get his powers back.

A Hunch: Ando + current Hiro = Hiro's powers! It'd be a cool way of limiting Hiro and having them work together as a team!

However, I still want Hiro to get his powers back...

Whaddaya think?

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Whaddaya think?

Wonder Twin powers, activate!
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I was under the impression that Sylar had lost all his powers except for telekinesis. Did I miss something? Or did they just change the rules again?
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the Luke/Pyro cloning was even more obvious this week than last.
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

awwwwwwwww.....

LUKE WAS SO PWNED!!!!

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ooooo loved the ending.

Could it be...I'm actually liking the turn that this is taking? Weird.

Member # 11614

I loved the whole "For 2 and a half years we have blah blah blah...."
Christine
Member # 8594

Syler went on a power-nabbing spree at the end of last season.

As for this episode...the Hiro/Ando subplot was BAD. How did they get to India? Did they just hop on a plane? Because those guys can find Syler in a random camera shot on the interstate but can't find Hiro when he boards an airplane! Not to mention that the whole thing was a stupid self-fulfilling prophecy that had no relevance and only served to separate the newly formed resistance group.

But other than that, yeah, it was a good episode.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I was under the impression that Sylar had lost all his powers except for telekinesis. Did I miss something? Or did they just change the rules again?

When he got a sample of claires blood he got back all of them.

Which begs the question, why did he need to disguise as a soldier when he could have illusion of being one?

Awesome episode!

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I remember Sylar's power nabbing spree, but I thought that the eclipse took his powers away and only left him with TK just like the Shanti virus did.

And nowhere have I seen anything about Claire helping him get all his powers back.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

it was a long time ago, he had to steal a vial of her blood remember? My memory is like 20/20 with tv shows.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.