FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Comics. The Spider-Man kind.

Author Topic: Comics. The Spider-Man kind.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Why has Marvel made the decision to transform every title into an endless Green Goblin story? I bought issue one of the Agents of Atlas ongoing yesterday. The issue opens up with Norman Osborn. Most of the book is Norman Osborn hemming and hawing. When the protagonists finally show up in their own series, they spend it talking about Norman Osborn.

Remember when Norman Osborn's most notable trait was being killed off for real? I miss those days. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't seen Agents yet. I'll have to look for it next time I hit the shop.

I'm having trouble because I keep looking for other types of comics, plot-wise. Superheroes are fun, but there could be so much other stuff going on that I sometimes dispair.

Still, the art in Agents looks pretty good.

Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's simple. Marvel went, "Hey, we came up with a character arc! Let's make sure none of our readers could possibly miss it!"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

They do only rarely miss an opportunity for cross-marketing. DC does that too. I like how they'll create footnotes in the comics so that you'll be sure to know about their other comics/issues that relate.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Next up-- themes!
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Achilles:
I hadn't seen Agents yet. I'll have to look for it next time I hit the shop.

If you haven't read it yet, the original mini-series is one of the finest old school super-hero comics I've read in recent years. The artwork is gorgeous. Jeff Parker succeeds in making one care about characters who were for the most part disposable second-stringers even back in their original context. He know how to make it all fun without making it empty.

Which is part of why I'm frustrated that the ongoing is saddled with no less than six of Marvel's current mega-plots rather than being able to do its own thing.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

Ooh, it's already in a book. I'm so there!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.