FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm actually happy about tax time. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'm actually happy about tax time.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Tatiana, what about 6 or 12 month CDs? Then YOU get the interest on it instead of the gov't having use of it, but it ties up the money...

Is there a 6 or 12 month CD that will deduct out of your paycheck and let you gradually add to it over time? The interest rates right now are really low anyway. I could earn an extra $10 in interest, or I could do it this really easy way. I like the easy way. For me it makes sense. Also, it's a way to make tax time less agonizing for me. Now I look forward to it!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I can take that money each year and put it on an important project. This year it's paying for my son's medical expenses. Some year soon it will hopefully pay for a new roof for my house. I want to add a carport since my garage isn't really meant for putting a car inside. Every 10 years or so I have to rebuild my deck. This year I really need my house painted on the outside but that will probably have to wait. It's very nice to have money saved up to do one good project a year.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by lobo:
It seems most people are getting a refund (including me). I wonder if it is intentionallly set up that way so that we are happy to get a refund and don't think about how much we actually paid in taxes...?

That's actually the purpose of withholding. They know that if we were forced to write a check each year for the tax burden, there'd be open rebellion. If it also included the hidden taxes in the prices of the things we buy (which comes from the taxes on the manufacturer) and the hidden tax of inflated money supply, there'd be blood in the streets.
Lots of people, myself included, don't have our taxes withheld. In fact, since we have to pay quarterly estimated taxes, we actually write four checks a year. Somehow, we manage not to riot in the streets or foment revolution against the government every three months. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
So people that are not paying taxes are getting a tax refund? Or are you talking about welfare cases?
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
lobo: yes, that's what a negative income tax is. It is a way of transferring money to the poor. Think of it as a welfare program (and one of the better ones, since it keeps distortions relatively minimal).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They know that if we were forced to write a check each year for the tax burden, there'd be open rebellion. If it also included the hidden taxes in the prices of the things we buy (which comes from the taxes on the manufacturer) and the hidden tax of inflated money supply, there'd be blood in the streets.

So, do you actually believe this?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This year I really need my house painted on the outside but that will probably have to wait.
You know, you DO have another adult living with you. [Smile] Buy some exterior paint and drop the cans in his room as a hint.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
Lots of people, myself included, don't have our taxes withheld. In fact, since we have to pay quarterly estimated taxes, we actually write four checks a year. Somehow, we manage not to riot in the streets or foment revolution against the government every three months. [Dont Know]

If it was every three months, I wouldn't mind. I have occasionally considered rioting over the current 2 month/3 month/4 month/3 month schedule. Who the heck decided that made sense? Something regular would be so much easier to remember. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Tatiana: If you get around $8k back this year, you've left more like $100 to $175 on the table (and that's at the abysmal interest rates, recently):

Basically, put money for six months into a high-yield savings account; you can easily get one that gets 2.5% even now, and twelve months ago no problem. At six months (> $30 interest), dump the money into a six month CD -- six months ago, six month CDs had an average yield of about 3.2%, so you could have easily gotten 3.5%, maybe 4%. That's about $70, plus another $30-ish from the stuff you're still depositing in the savings account.

That's not an optimal plan, but it is a very simple one, and would have gotten you an additional $130. Last time you left more like $300 to $400 on the table (there were some very nice CD rates).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
They know that if we were forced to write a check each year for the tax burden, there'd be open rebellion. If it also included the hidden taxes in the prices of the things we buy (which comes from the taxes on the manufacturer) and the hidden tax of inflated money supply, there'd be blood in the streets.

So, do you actually believe this?
Yes. Most Jatraqueros are unrepresentative of the general population.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
In the Canadian tax system, both the self-employed and the retired living off of their own savings/RRIF have to manually send in cheques for taxes. I'll keep an eye out for rebellion.

Also, if like me you have a tax refund coming and you were going to invest that in the stock market in pretty much any form (rather than cash), you can thank the government for accidentally saving you from a roughly 20% loss rather than be worried about losing out on interest which is taxable at your marginal tax rate anyways [Wink]

Glass half full *shrug*

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lobo:
So people that are not paying taxes are getting a tax refund? Or are you talking about welfare cases?

It doesn't count FICA. Some of them probably still pay net taxes.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Lisa: apparently almost every self-employed person in the US is not representative of the general population. In my experience, that's true, but it means they tend to be more combative. Oh, and the sole proprietors.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[QUOTE]Yes. Most Jatraqueros are unrepresentative of the general population.

I write four such checks each year. I'll let you know when I am overcome by murderous libertarian rage.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
If we were all forced to write checks, it would certainly be educational for some people. I have one friend I was speaking with once, and I asked about how much income tax he pays per year. He said, "I don't pay taxes. I get a return every year!" He thought he got back everything he paid throughout the year.

And this is an otherwise smart guy.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
Turbo tax was free for me and I do the 1040. This year it did not mention it was only free for people under a certain income level like it did last year.

I wasn't clear. They're not charging (other than the cost of the program) for the first return. Just for each additional one. So if you only do your own taxes, no problem. If -- like Tatiana's brother-in-law or my dad -- you do many people's returns, then you do have a problem.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, if he is poor enough, that could be true.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
No, that wasn't the case with him. He just didn't understand that he was only getting back what he overpaid, not what he paid. He never bothered to look at the specific numbers throughout the year.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.