FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy Birthday Charles!

Author Topic: Happy Birthday Charles!
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is to the 200th birthday of Charles Darwin!!!

Thanks for giving us a really useful scientific theory.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what's sad about that? I had no idea why evolution was a big deal until my Intro to Archeaology class in college.

Here's to the downfall of the Great Chain of Being! Why that ever made sense to anyone, I'm still not sure on.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just coming here to post the same thing. Happy birthday indeed.

[The Wave] Hooray for Darwin!

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday Charlie! Shame your dead, or else I'd get you a piece of cake!

Oh yeah, and Happy Birthday to Abe Lincoln, too!

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Charles! Your insight permeates all the biological sciences. In another 200 years we may have finally assimilated your beautiful, powerful idea into our culture, as well. [Smile]

quote:
There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know that evidently Charles Darwin is also responsible for founding works on the study of vines, coral reefs, and worms?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I also heard he was a champion horseshoe player and could dance a mean jig.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
In commemoration, check out Thinkin' Lincoln:

http://www.thinkin-lincoln.com/

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
8)

Rivka, do you have an evolution emoticon?

Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.