FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good source for sheet music?

Author Topic: Good source for sheet music?
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
Well my Google-fu has failed me, so I was wondering if anyone knows a good website where I could find some. I play the keyboard, it is very easy to find guitar tabs, and that is all I can find. I should also say that I do not have any way to to pay for sheet music, and anything I can find around town is either too advanced or not intresting.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
This website is where I buy mine. If you go through Mr. Rebates you can get a rebate.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
The Public Domain Music Score Library

I haven't explored this too much, but think it might have what you're looking for. More towards the classical end of the spectrum.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
There's no good legal way to get free sheet music. Sheet music you always have to pay for (excepting stuff like White Whale's link, where the copyright has expired and the stuff is now in the public domain).

I suggest you either work on learning stuff by ear or save the 3 dollars per song it costs to buy the sheet music.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
If you do come across money for buying music, look at www.jwpepper.com and Shattinger Music. Both have comprehensive inventories of a wide variety of music.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

Well my problem is not really affording the music, i have no way to buy anything off the internet. I guess i will stick to the clasics then.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
If you have the money but no credit card, you could buy a prepaid visa card. You should be able to use those online and they're available at places like walmart and cvs. Though you might want to check with the website in question to make sure they are set up for payments like that.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
[QB] There's no good legal way to get free sheet music. Sheet music you always have to pay for (excepting stuff like White Whale's link, where the copyright has expired and the stuff is now in the public domain).
[QB]

This is really not so. There are countless sources of free-license editions and arrangements online, and even many published editions of public domain music (such as most dover scores, for example) are just copies of older editions- and they are all free to copy and distribute. In fact, I rarely bought any sheet music in school because everything I ever needed was either in a large dover score book, or free online, and cheap either way. The only sheet music you have to pay for is anything still under copyright, and that leaves the largest chunk of published music free to copy any which way you please.

For a lot of music, one good source is free-scores.com, but there are dozens or hundreds of sources with mostly the same editions.

There are a plethora of sites that publish lyrics and chord charts to many popular songs- and these are playable on a keyboard as well. The publishing of a chordal analysis can be protected as a work of scholarship, so generally these sites stay up, although they have been shut down in the past. I am personally in favor of allowing this kind of site for private study, but of course the record industry stands to make money selling (often lower quality) versions of the same thing in books edited by morons.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking about popular music. As was the OP. All of which is under copyright, and therefore exactly as I said.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Well, even then your wrong. A fair number of bands publish their tablatures and chord charts on their websites. Do your research. XP

Edit: And as I said before, there are no end of chord charts produced for private study. It's a difficult case to make that viewing them would get anyone in trouble- and besides, most artists don't give a crap if their songs are published in this way, and probably they are flattered by it. The second a band actually compiles and edits their own sheet music instead of having some stooge do it (badly) is the second I'll start buying that stuff. But as it is, many songs are never written down in complete form anyway, and when someone tries, there is always something wrong with the result. Going from fixed media to symbolic media = mileage may vary. In my opinion commercial sheet music for popular bands is not usually worth paying for.

Google is your friend.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
I was talking about popular music. As was the OP. All of which is under copyright, and therefore exactly as I said.

1. I have a name. Here it is Xann.

2. I was not talking about popular music, I was talking about any music at all. Please don't try to tell people what I mean.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

Xann, if you're anywhere near a major public university, you can always go into the library there and make reams of copies of anything you want- provided that it's for your private scholarship or in public domain, which would be the bulk of the keyboard repertoire that any university library would hold. My university had an immense music section, and I could find virtually any relevant score I needed, and many I didn't need.
Xann.
Member # 11482

That should work, I'll head to the college sometime this week.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Well, even then your wrong. A fair number of bands publish their tablatures and chord charts on their websites. Do your research.

Who said a thing about tabs and charts? The thread is about sheet music. Find me 3 mainstream bands that publish sheet music to their websites for free and I'll concede that one.

Of course, you won't be able to, and I'll still be right. I'll also still know when to use 'you're' and when to use 'your'.

That is interesting about music for scores being online, though -- I wasn't aware of that. Of course, I'd never in a million years need that stuff. Still good to know, though.

I agree that commercially published sheet music of pop music is typically pretty poorly done.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

Oh shut up. Your just jealous.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.