FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thanks, Hatrack

Author Topic: Thanks, Hatrack
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
In 2002 I was living in a place that had no FOX reception. Which means not only did I not watch, I didn't even hear about "Firefly."

Until several years later when I started lurking around here and heard a bunch of people raving about it, and raging at FOX for canceling it.

So, since I've been under-the-weather this week, I decided it was time to visit hulu and find out what I'd missed.

I only had to watch a couple episodes to be sure it was worth watching the rest...even though I knew that things would be left hanging. :'(

What fun writing - some great lines, and characters who do what real people would do, instead of what we expect fictional characters to do (like Kaylee panicking when expected to shoot people instead of being a "hero")

Now I've got to re-watch Serenity...I'm sure I'll enjoy it even more, now that I know the characters.

Okay, that's enough. Thanks for the recommendation. [Smile]

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Fantastic.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benito Mussolini
Member # 11522

- posted      Profile for Benito Mussolini           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't mention it. [Wink]
Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the browncoats. [Smile]
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohooo another successful brainwashing...

Now, nobody mention Mira-- um, yeah.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Jumping on the bandwagon ...

Hubby had seen some of it, but I never really cared. Then I found the DVD at the library and checked it out. The only reason I had any interest at ALL in watching it (a western sci-fi? I don't like westerns and I'm very picky about what sci-fi I like!) was because of the rave Hatrack reviews and Joss Whedon idolization.

Oh, and because I saw Nathan Fillion on Dr. Horrible and had to see him in something else. But that link came from Hatrack too.

Needless to say, Firefly is awesome and the only reason I haven't watched them all yet is because I'm so sad there's only one season and I want it to last.

So now I'm such a fangirl that I'm watching "Joss Whedon at Comic-Con" panels on youtube and actually recording Dollhouse. Like I would EVER have picked up that show before!

Thanks, 'Rack.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
After Firefly I decided to watch through Buffy & Angel because I was so impressed with Joss's work.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
*jumping high five*

Firefly is such sweet sorrow.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

I remember watching a few episodes of Buffy when it was on, and not being terribly impressed with it. I'd never even heard of Angel until now.
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I JUST STARTED IT!

That show is awesome!

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mocke
Member # 11963

- posted      Profile for Mocke           Edit/Delete Post 
What I don't get is why Joss did the movie.
He should've given it the Buffy/Angel treatment and moved it to comics. I feel like there are so many stories that got cut short and plotlines that weren't resolved because of the movie....

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
They did do comics.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mocke
Member # 11963

- posted      Profile for Mocke           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, they made a few mini-series. That is not what I was talking about.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I had an interesting Joss Whedon introduction. The first thing I saw of his was, well, technically Toy Story I suppose, but that one's not really an exclusive credit to his. I first started by seeing Serenity in theaters and then following it up by watching Firefly. I had heard of Buffy and Angel before, but the premise of the show just didn't appeal to me. Finally I saw Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-Long Blog and figured that Joss' writing ability probably isn't a fluke, so I checked out Buffy and Angel.

Glad I did.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mocke:
What I don't get is why Joss did the movie.
He should've given it the Buffy/Angel treatment and moved it to comics. I feel like there are so many stories that got cut short and plotlines that weren't resolved because of the movie....

If I'm not mistaken, Joss is on record as saying that if he could do Angel on TV again, he'd wipe clean the comics he's made. I think he prefers the medium. A movie for Firefly was a much closer alternative.

I've read the comics for Buffy and Angel, and while entertaining, they pale in comparison to the television series.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

I've started watching some season one Buffy, and so far it hasn't really knocked my socks off. However, I can see that it was an influential show...

Even before I knew for sure that he was a vampire, I thought, "Angel is the blueprint what's-her-name used in creating Edward (Twilight)"

And Smallville...I'm starting to think the creators of Smallville didn't have any creative ideas at all - everything from the love triangles to the Talon, to the freak-of-the-week, seems to be lifted from Buffy. In fact, some of the freaks in Smallville seemed to be carbon copies of Buffy freaks (like the hot substitute science teacher who makes all the guys weak in the knees)

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Buffy's first season is characterized for me by her fluffy hair, more busty look, giggles, and half-rebellious verbal acting out. That is to say, she is unsophisticated (at, I think, 16?), and the show is similarly unsophisticated. There is a lot of the creature-of-the-week bad guy stuff going on, and not a lot of overall story arc, other than just introducing us to the characters and how they will fit together.

I'm sure that is selling the season short, but it is my nutshell impression, especially on rewatching. (I'm up to season 4 in the rewatch, and I've added in Angel on a contemporaneous review.) It just isn't the same show later on -- the issues become deeper and less blatantly and straightly metaphorical of high school issues. Her look becomes sleeker and sharper, and the show does, as well. That's worth the wait.

Mind you, the metaphor of "high school as hell" and the undercurrents of potentially monstrous behavior in the people around us were good, too. Just the order of magnitude for effectiveness in this device became so much more as the series progressed.

I think if you don't like it by the end of Season 2, that makes sense as a point to give up on it. Developments with Angel leading up to Graduation Day (Parts I & II) provide a good example of where the series heads. It's darker, more sophisticated, more aching in the way that OSC would make us ache for the hard choices and responsibilities that his best-written characters had to go through.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I was awake all night with a cough that wouldn't let me sleep. I watched the first two episodes of Buffy on Hulu -- something I've avoided doing all these years. It's purely due to Hatrack's adoration of Firefly and all things Joss. I had already watched Firefly, Serenity and Dr. Horrible at Hatrack's urging.

Edited to add: I also learned of Hulu on Hatrack. Thanks, Hatrack!

Oh, and this is also where I acquired my LOST addiction.

[ February 22, 2009, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Uprooted ]

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.