FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Does anyone else remember...

Author Topic: Does anyone else remember...
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
long long ago.... way back when Joaquin Phoenix was kinda hot?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you accidentally watch his Letterman interview Pixiest? [Smile]

I agree, I'm not sure what sort of weird midlife crisis he is going through, but the beard needs to go.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
BB: I think Joaquin didn't show up and Letterman just grabbed a wino off the street that looked like him. Probably paid him with a brand new shiny cardboard box and a years supply of Wild Turkey.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Again: I'm almost certain this is a protracted, Kaufman-style hoax.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I suppose you can't have a comeback if you never go away. Reckon that's what he's shooting for?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

While I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm sure this is all real, based on reading how he was raised and other things about him I think it's well within the realm of possibility that he is just sick of acting and decided to honestly try his hand at being a musician.

I don't see Joaquin as being somebody who would enjoy this sort of a joke.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
The Letterman appearance was just about the most passive aggressive thing I've seen from an adult. I don't think Joaquin could be oblivious to the way it looked, which makes me suspect it's a joke; a piece of theater. (The comparison to Kaufman seems completely apt.) The alternative would seem to be mental illness.

I thought the act nearly cracked a couple of times. Joaquin seemed to be stifling laughter once or twice.

BTW, Letterman is at his absolute best in that kind of situation. I was thrilled to catch that interview because I watch Letterman less than once a month.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
long long ago.... way back when Joaquin Phoenix was kinda hot?

Yes, I do. [Frown]

I'm waiting for him to get over this little hump. I don't think it was a joke, he doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Joaquin just wanted, as an actor, to see how long he can stay in character? Or maybe he's trying to make some kind of point? I assume we'll find out whenever they release the documentary they're making about him.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

I agree. I read somewhere that the purpose of the documentary they're making is to mock stars who aren't satisfied with being famous for what they're in as well as the media for being obsessed with a star's collapse as opposed to real news.

I'm pretty sure this has all been a joke, he's punking America. I'm not saying it's impossible for this whole get-up to be real, but I think its highly unlikely. Watching the interview with Dave, I agree, it looks like he was trying hard just to stay in character, at times he almost cracked.

If this is real, it's a pity because I like Joaquin Phoenix. If it's been an elaborate hoax, I say well done.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post 
The last time he was HOT, he went by LEAF in the movie SPACE CAMP.
Also consider that he is RIVER'S brother.
wow what a waste.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought the act nearly cracked a couple of times. Joaquin seemed to be stifling laughter once or twice.
Even so, I wasn't completely sure it was a hoax until the end of the interview, when he stood up, turned to Letterman, took off the sunglasses, spoke to him off-mike and shook his hand.

That whole bit looked very much like 'and that's a wrap' behaviour.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
obvious hoax is obvious.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
noooo
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
<shoots meme with the Official Hatrack Sniper Rifle ® />
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.