FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I made my daughter cry - a sweets story

Author Topic: I made my daughter cry - a sweets story
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people have sweet stories, mine's about sweets.

My daughter loves to eat. She's a chubby little girl and will happily eat her meal and then offer to assist you with yours. Of course she loves sweets.

I tried giving her a Mentos after dinner. I watched her carefully to make sure she chewed it, not wanting her to choke. She chewed it up and then swallowed it. She started to cry pitifully.

I realized, too late, that the candy was sufficiently hard that it retained some stiff form even after chewing, and the shape of what she swallowed was not esophagus friendly. It had edges.

It hurt her throat. [Frown]

Mentos candy is not very toddler friendly.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sure it is. You're not using it right.

You have to soften it in a liter of soda first.

Trust me.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Oh, sure, for comedic purposes it's VERY toddler friendly.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
Sure it is. You're not using it right.

You have to soften it in a liter of soda first.

Trust me.

Diet cola, to be specific.
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the warning
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Diet cola, to be specific.
It actually doesn't matter to the reaction whether it's diet or not. However, the clean-up afterward isn't as sticky with diet.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott- actually the reaction is noticeably more intense with diet, if I recall correctly from the mythbusters episode. There is something about one of the chemicals in the artificial sweetener or the fixative or something that makes the reaction stronger.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Aspartame in the liquid is apparently a surfactant, as is the gum arabic on the candy.
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Diet Dr Pepper works better than Diet Coke. Warm pop works better than cold popl
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
dammit Scott, you beat me to it. [Wink] That was the FIRST thing I thought of. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GeronL2
Member # 11978

- posted      Profile for GeronL2   Email GeronL2         Edit/Delete Post 
I sure hope that doesn't get tried at the table
Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.