FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 2 Ideas for a Anime: "Friends Meet World", and "An Everlasting Quest"

Author Topic: 2 Ideas for a Anime: "Friends Meet World", and "An Everlasting Quest"
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I've had two show concepts bouncing in my head for a while now and this shall be my first time to conceptualize them in some sort of record keeping format. I asketh opinions;

Generally my preference would be to use the Anime medium using the more serious leaning art style. But thats besides the point, the actual concepts:

In for lack of a thought out working title is "Friends Meet World" where you have a group of "snowball" friends, who travel the world and have to deal with many real life logistical and social problems attempting to do so ad hoc and spontaniously without much preplanning. This snowballs because the group of friends gets large in every few countries starting with 2, growing to say 7 to 12. With the time spent in each country depending on the speed of plot or the size of the country and forgoing plane travel for train or boat whenever possible (being cheaper obviously) and its easier to get in into mischef when on a boat or train.

The switch here is that it will in my mind so far will actually play out as a thriller with some for lack of a better less cringeworthy term Tom Clancy styled political thriller and some action, as these friends aren't just traveling, they're investigating something or other. I haven't thought of it that far yet and alot of possibilities are on the table, I want it well thought out and well planned with the story thought out beginning to end and not as episodic as say, Boy Meets World or that show with the ocean liner high school. As a possible example thats going through my head right now, Chessmaster Xanatos Gambit wielding Belarussian youth Isaac Ilych Romanov seeks something, say controlling the world from behind the scenes or recreating the Soviet Union controlled by him. the "friends" are somehow come into this gradually overtime through their investigations and integral to investigating and stopping Isaac.

Thats one possibility, my other concept for a show that would interest me would be another High School friends styled show but focused on a Game of D&D, whether the D&D game should parallel their own lives subtly like (... actually I forget the name of this live action tv show, where you had this kid, stuck in a fantasy world where everyone was under 18 years old, I think he was in a coma, for a few seasons, something like that) , or be the adventure hook itself (DM uncovers an Ancient magical artifact (in the shape of a d20 of course) that when he rolls it transport him and his friends to the D&D world. With him being different and distinct from the group because of his own DM powers making him a Demi God and chased after by the in universe enemies.

I really want a d20 D&D styled Anime to watch [Frown]

Alright, opinion time.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
... actually I forget the name of this live action tv show, where you had this kid, stuck in a fantasy world where everyone was under 18 years old, I think he was in a coma, for a few seasons, something like that ...

Huh. I have a vague memory of some TV show like that, but I don't have the foggiest idea of what it was called.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
The show you're thinking of is The Odyssey
I remember liking it quite a bit.

And Xanatos Gambit? Really?

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
That was fast and you may be correct.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dhk3wdEQok

Oddly enough, the actual video rings no bells, but the concept sure does. Odd how the mind works.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I want a D&D cartoon based off of the Penny-Arcade adventures, but we can't all get what we want. =P (Hilarious podcasts, but a vulgar language warning to those who would be offended.)

And I loved the 'redundancy' in
quote:
ad hoc and spontaniously without much preplanning
[Smile]

But on your show concepts in particular-

The first one is a bit too vague for me to really understand the actual premise. There's some folks that go about the world helping people, but the twist is that there's a huge governmental plot to hinder their progress? It has some potential, but I just don't see the substance of it yet. (Perhaps it's because I don't know the anime/shows you're referencing for comparison.)

The second one is sort of shrug-worthy to me. I don't care for Yu Gi Oh because of the artificial drama induced by a freakin' card game. And unfortunately, that's what this show sounds like it'd be like. I can just see the character holding up a D20, whispering something 'dramatic' like "Gods, guide my roll," and then have the DM scream in agony as his monsters are defeated.

Actually... that might be so bad it's good.

But then I actually read your D&D proposed anime.

I still probably wouldn't care for it, but it's not as bad as the one I suggested. In fact I could see it doing well with a good niche of people. I could see confilct arising based upon the DMs heightened abilities as compared to the rest of the group, but other than that I just don't see enough substance for me to bite my teeth into. [Smile]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Anyone else remember Brats of the Lost Nebula?
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
... its easier to get in into mischef when on a boat or train.

Which is why they tend to set murder mysteries on boats and trains. [Wink]

quote:
I want it well thought out and well planned with the story thought out beginning to end and not as episodic as say, Boy Meets World or that show with the ocean liner high school.

Do you mean that Disney show with the younger male twins or the Sweet Valley High spin off with the older, female identicals?

I've never been a big fan of the "High School friends styled show" in my own anime tastes, but there are always exceptions. What I can't tell you is if either of your ideas would be one. Sorry! Lot of help that was...

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

On the D&D styled anime, i have an idea, basic plot is that theres a village/town thats being attacked by a neighbouring town, little girl is freigntened and scared runs off into the nearby forbiddon caves where its said a Devil is bound, she in desparation offers a Pact Certain (btw shes 10 years old and only a rough idea of how this works) selling her soul for the power to save her village.

The devil eager to jump at the chance to gain the soul of an innocent (in contrast to the alternative of getting normal souls of adults) accepts and gives her im thinking either the powers of a warlock or a sorcerer. Which for the next 24 hours is roughly level 12-16 and enough to wipe out the attacking force (before reverting to level 1 warlock/sorcerer afterwards) her village shuns her rather then thanks her starting the show several years later where she keeps trying to use her powers for good, but constantly has to fight temptation but slowely as events conspire her to dig deeper and deeper into infernal powers to save her friends damn her more and more, the Kick in the gut is that you have a geniunely kind and giving female Action Girl who, in the end of it all (going by Fiend Codex II) will be damned to the Nine Hells either way.

(Although it is possible to have a trial to void it upon death but theres almost no way to void a pact certain, part of the end story arc could be her and her friends trying to find a way to atone and free her soul from the grasp of Hell's Archdevils)

Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
How many animes can we have where the character has someone else's power inside them.

I can think of life four off the top of my head.

Oh, but yours is a girl. Completely different thing.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Actually a gestlat between Sorcerer and Warlock would be what I probably have in mind, but in any case the examples you think are of anime tropes of daemonic possession Warlocks are in their D&D mechanics markedly different, while it can involve possession of some sort it generally doesn't. Basicaly the Devil infuses your soul with infernal (or fey, or far realm, or abyssal or 'other') powers, the power is within, from your now tainted soul, not from a demon within your soul. No the demon stays right where it is and gets first dibs at your soul to use however it wants once you die. A Faustian Bargain it is (assuming aboveforementioned example of the Pact Certain, the Pact Insidious (a favour for a favour) is slightely more gradual and different.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The beauty of writing your own fiction, of course, is that you aren't bound by the rules of D&D.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Ya but who the hell wants a Naruto clone?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Um....*blink* Are you seriously suggesting that applying the D&D ruleset to a Naruto clone is a meaningful difference that makes it less of a clone?

I mean, a James Bond movie written as if the d20 Modern ruleset were applied to it would still be a James Bond movie, especially if you used the Spycraft rules.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

No Lanfear thought it is similar enough to his character concept of Naruto to think it is a clone, to me it is simply an idea for a story of a girl who makes a Faustian Pact for Infernal power and deals with the consequences for the remainder of her life, using d20 rules and the srd as the inspiration, using japanimation as the medium of expression (or whoever did Avatar animation), I think any resemblence to Naruto is merely skindeep and superficial. In fact it would be far closer to compare the Pact between Sasuke and Orochimaru as being closer, but even then, that is simple a TvTrope thats IN COMMON not the basis of either. In the above idea there actually IS NO Demonic possession, merely a cr 1/2 girl peasant becomming at one go a temporary level 12 Warlock/12 Sorcerer Gestalt reverting to 1 Warlock/1 Sorcerer after the initial use, proceeding from there, the Horn Devil in question stays in his Persistent Summoning Circle.
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
You are mistaken that the first think I thought of was Naruto.

Congrats.

Naruto fits as well.

I don't even understand half the words your saying because its in D and D speak.

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

I've been watching the Odyssey on youtube.
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
I've been watching the Odyssey on youtube.

I think we've got that lying around on a VHS tape. Heh. Good stuff.
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.