FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Radiolabeled Antibodies:

Author Topic: Radiolabeled Antibodies:
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Quick question. Can radiolabeled antibodies be used in tranmission electron microscopy (TEM)? I can't find definitive evidence in pubmed for or against. A reference would be great.

Thanks! [Smile]

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you need human research or will mice suffice?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Do your own homework!

[Wink]

I have no clue but had to say it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

If you just need an incidental citation, this may do: Effects of 131I-labeled TNT-1 radioimmunotherapy on HT-29 human colon adenocarcinoma spheroids. It is human research published in 1991 via Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy.

quote:
Radiolabeled murine monoclonal antibody TNT-1, directed against the nuclear histones of degenerating cells, was used to treat human colon adenocarcinoma HT-29 spheroids in vitro. The therapeutic effects of 131I-TNT-1 were investigated as a function of the radioactive dose, treatment time, and number of treatments. Efficacy of treatment was assessed by TNT-1 antibody uptake, spheroid growth delay, and morphological examination using light microscopy, scanning electron microscopy (SEM), and transmission electron microscopy (TEM).... At the ultrastructural level, destruction of cells in the treated spheroids included the formation of porous cell membranes, crater-like holes (SEM), blebbing, and dissolution of cytoplasmic organelles (TEM).
A detailed discussion of method would probably require an immunology or radiotherapy textbook.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Do your own homework!

[Wink]

I have no clue but had to say it. [Big Grin]

And yeah, what she said. *grin

---

PS: When you say "in transmission electron microscopy," I don't know if you mean "by" or something like "in conjunction with." The correct answer may differ with respect to such interpretation, and I leave that distinction (if any) as an exercise for the reader. [Wink]

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Meh, I'm trying to argue that radiolabeled antibodies could be used with TEM to visualize proteins on a cell surface, while that reference talks about observing efficacy of treatment.

I don't think I'm going to win this argument tho. Thanks anyway!

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

De nada. Best of luck, regardless.

I don't know whether this will be of help. I haven't read through to seen when radiolabelling is used and when it is fluorescence.

quote:
Here, we consider the influence of selected tumor parameters on radioimmunotherapy, by comparing the gross biodistribution, microdistribution, and therapeutic efficacy of either radiolabeled or fluorescently labeled antibodies (A5B7 anti–carcinoembryonic antigen antibody and a nonspecific control) after i.v. injection in two contrasting human colorectal xenografts in MF1 nude mice.... Three-dimensional microvascular corrosion casting and transmission electron microscopy showed further structural differences between xenografts.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
Meh, I'm trying to argue that radiolabeled antibodies could be used with TEM to visualize proteins on a cell surface, while that reference talks about observing efficacy of treatment.

I don't think I'm going to win this argument tho. Thanks anyway!

Why do you want to use radio labeled antibodies? Most of elements used for radio labeling proteins aren't going to show up any better in a TEM images than the original protein. A colloidal gold label would be far more effective than a radio label.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My radio is labeled "AM" and "FM". I seriously doubt if I could label my antibodies that.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.