FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What Do You Collect? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What Do You Collect?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
I collect babies!

Yeah? How many do you have?

(Nadya? Is that you?)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
Other people's kids.

Does kidnapping really count as a hobby type collection?
I don't kidnap them- I collect them like a magnet collects metal shavings.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm nearly a week late, but it took me this long to remember what I collect. Sad, I know.

I collect Tolkien! Vintage Tolkien, mostly. If it's old, hard to find, obscure, or preferably all three, I'm there. I can't afford the pricey autographed stuff, but I can get boxed sets from the 60s, editions from the 70s and 80s, the early "Guides to," etc. It's a fun hobby, keeping my eyes out for an edition I haven't seen before. The individual books aren't worth much, but the collection as a whole is kind of fun.

Anyway, sorry to be late to the party, as always.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! You should see my newest stamps!
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
-Anything Nancy Drew but especially books
Umm... what else is there?

*pictures a Nancy Drew lunchbox with thermos*

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
I collect Transformers. I quit for several years but recently started again. Except the movie toys. Those are rubbish, as was the movie.

But check out the current Transformers Universe toyline, if you like toys / 80's nostalgia. They are doing some modern redesigns of the original toys.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
Ooh! You should see my newest stamps!

Oh my gosh those are so awesome! They're all Tolkien's original drawings (except maybe the map which I think Christopher may have drawn). How magnificent that the U.K. made stamps in his honor. I feel as though he should be canonized and become my patron saint.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
I'm nearly a week late, but it took me this long to remember what I collect. Sad, I know.

I collect Tolkien! Vintage Tolkien, mostly. If it's old, hard to find, obscure, or preferably all three, I'm there. I can't afford the pricey autographed stuff, but I can get boxed sets from the 60s, editions from the 70s and 80s, the early "Guides to," etc. It's a fun hobby, keeping my eyes out for an edition I haven't seen before. The individual books aren't worth much, but the collection as a whole is kind of fun.

Anyway, sorry to be late to the party, as always.

I wish I had the money to do more Tolkien collecting. Mostly I'd like foreign and older editions of books. I have a Scottish and British first edition (the only difference is the color of the font on the dust jacket, near as I can tell) of the Silmarillion, but anything Hobbit or LOTR is a lot more expensive and hard to find. Those two books I only got because I had friends traveling abroad who picked them up for me, and they are very dear to me, but I crave more!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are awesome stamps! I ought to get a set.

Lyrhawn, I don't spend a huge amount of money on things. Most of them are individual volumes I spot at flea markets and used book shops. Eventually I find all three, and a Hobbit, if I'm lucky. One or two sets even has a matching Silmarillion. I just found a copy of The Road Goes Ever On from the early 1970s - at £10, it's one of the more expensive individual items I have. It's a very haphazard and casual sort of collection. I do love getting foreign editions, too. I have volumes from France, Italy, and Greece, so far.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie:
quote:
-Anything Nancy Drew but especially books
Umm... what else is there?

*pictures a Nancy Drew lunchbox with thermos*

Ooooh, I want one! LOL!

Well, my sister gave me a pad of mailable folding note sheets.

My other sister once gave me a t-shirt that I sadly outgrew.

There are dolls, a game, all kinds of tie-ins from the fifties and sixties especially.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There are movies too. And wasn't there a TV series?

Some of the above must be available on VHS or DVD.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

There was a TV series. It was bad.

The movies were worse.

I prefer to pretend they don't exist.

I've heard a few of the off-Broadway plays were good, though.

Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
Classical music CDs and used books I probably won't read for years. I can't help myself on the latter...I just love book sales. I'll be heading to this one for the first time (video in the link):

http://www.jmrlfriends.org/booksale

Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
Those are awesome stamps! I ought to get a set.

Lyrhawn, I don't spend a huge amount of money on things. Most of them are individual volumes I spot at flea markets and used book shops. Eventually I find all three, and a Hobbit, if I'm lucky. One or two sets even has a matching Silmarillion. I just found a copy of The Road Goes Ever On from the early 1970s - at £10, it's one of the more expensive individual items I have. It's a very haphazard and casual sort of collection. I do love getting foreign editions, too. I have volumes from France, Italy, and Greece, so far.

Being overseas helps [Razz]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like a fantastic book sale. I bet if you volunteer, you would get first pick!
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Actually, I've only bought perhaps 6 volumes in total since I've been here. Most of them came from Canadian shops. The French, Greek, and Italian ones came from a university "Classical World" tour. No excuses, Mister! [Razz]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.