FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Jews and Jesus Mayfly (Page 8)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Jews and Jesus Mayfly
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
Most Modern Orthodox Jews that I know don't actually practice the ideals of Modern Orthodoxy.

*Sigh*

Most "Modern Orthodox" Jews that I know aren't even aware that Modern Orthodoxy has ideals.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Christians like me have been surprised to note a behavior that seems very similar among Hasidic Jews. They may call it something different, but the emphasis is still upon a personal emotional/spiritual experience.

Then you're mistaken. There was a bit of that when Hasidism first started, but it faded away.

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
I have not heard if there is any equivalent among Islamic groups, but I would not be surprised to learn that such exists.

Sufiism.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
The Judaism that I practice is no Hasidic, yet it's essence is emotional. The Talmud states: "Rachmana liba ba'i" - The Merciful One (God) desires your heart. The tremendous stress on law and ritual comes from the reverence of God and His commandments - to be extremely diligent in the fulfillment of His will.

Whereas the Judaism that I practice (which in its expression is probably no different than Armoth's) is in essence intellectual. While it's a Hasidic sentiment, Armoth seems to agree with "mitzvah gedolah lihyot b'simcha tamid" (it's a great mitzvah to be joyous always), while I would identify with the opposite: "simcha gedolah lihyot b'mitzvah tamid".
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
No. I actually do not think that it is a mitzvah gedola lihiyot b'simcha tamid. To be joyous always. I think it's mitzvah gedola to be learning Torah tamid (to be perpetually engaged in the study of Torah). But that's ultimately because learning teaches us to see the world in it's truest perspective and gives one the tools to be engaged perpetually in a relationship with God.

And I identify with your formulation as well, as I believe the truest simcha only comes from the fulfillment of God's will - fulfillment of mitzvoth.

My Judaism is intellectual, but the intellectual aspects are needed only to discern the truth. The second step is to have your heart actually feel all the truths you have discovered.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I identify with your formulation as well, as I believe the truest simcha only comes from the fulfillment of God's will - fulfillment of mitzvoth.

My Judaism is intellectual, but the intellectual aspects are needed only to discern the truth. The second step is to have your heart actually feel all the truths you have discovered.

Amen.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:

I agree that that's a proper goal. I haven't reached it. I probably never will. I wish I could.
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Armoth said: "My Judaism is intellectual, but the intellectual aspects are needed only to discern the truth. The second step is to have your heart actually feel all the truths you have discovered."

Substituting the more general word "faith" for Judaism, this is a fair statement of the challenge of the walk of faith to all people of faith.

I have long appreciated as especially insightful and profound the implications of Psalms 86:11, 12: "Teach me Thy way, O Lord; I will walk in Thy truth; Unite my heart to fear Thy name. I will give thanks to Thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart, And will glorify Thy name forever." (NASB)

Notice especially the clause: "Unite my heart to fear Thy name." Thus even the Psalmist acknowledged that his real problem was a divided heart. The purpose of God in the life of every one of us, is to make us whole-hearted in our faith. That is the only "perfection" we can realistically aspire to.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

I agree that that's a proper goal. I haven't reached it. I probably never will. I wish I could.
I don't know how to respond to this, I guess because I don't know you as a person, but it made me very sad. You strike me as an incredibly passionate woman. I hope you, I hope we all reach this goal.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been almost entirely offline for the past few days (DSL modem broke), but I have to wholeheartedly second this, re: Armoth.
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
You're not annoying. [Smile]

You're just young. [Wink]

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.