FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » bathtub cleaning help

Author Topic: bathtub cleaning help
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

My wife and I are getting ready to put our house on the market. We are hoping to upgrade. With whatever equity we loose on the sale, we figure a more expensive house will have lost more equity.

Anyway,

We have a jetted tub that is just NASTY. This place is 20 years old and I doubt it has ever had a serious clean I didn't do. After spending hours trying to get rust stains out with every cleaner that said "rust," I have all but given up.

And the sliding glass door to the tub looks frosted, but it's not. I have probably tried about everything at Wal*mart.

Any cleaning ideas anyone? It is fiberglass so I can't use a pumas stone.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:

And the sliding glass door to the tub looks frosted, but it's not. I have probably tried about everything at Wal*mart.

I don't know about the rust, but I do have a thought about the glass door. I think that perhaps the two might be related? I know that the people who owned my house before me used a lot of caustic cleaners that probably weren't intended for glass (some soap scum cleaners are not glass friendly, although I don't remember brands or names this late in the game), and the chemicals etched our glass non-frosted sliding doors, making them look frosted.

Something that you might try is a dryer sheet, if you have one. I've used dryer sheets in the past to clean soap scum off of shower doors, but you have to damp the door first. If it's gentle enough to use on your clothes, it's gentle enough to use on glass. The used ones work the best since they've already been wrinkled a bit and it kind of gives the dryer sheet a more 'scrubby' texture. [Smile]

I hope that helps!

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I would try a vinegar wash on the door, it sounds mineral to me. Use one part white vinegar to 2 parts warm water in a spray bottle. Wipe with newspaper.

I've had good luck with Barkeeper's Friend on bathtubs. It's non-abrasive and won't damage the tub but cleans excellently well.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
I've discovered that a Magic Eraser (or any cheap knock-off) works well for removing light to moderate hard water stains and soap scum... and no harsh chemicals required!

Never tried it on heavy stains, but it might be worth a try.

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this on TV the other day and it boggled my mind a bit but it really worked on a horrific looking tub. They took a grapefruit, cut it in half, sprinkled it with salt and scrubbed the tub with it. For really rough spots they scrubbed it lightly and let it sit for awhile. After a bit they washed it again with a nylon scrubber, I think, and it came amazingly clean.
The grapefruit has a lot of acid and the salt acts as a mild abrasive that shouldn't hurt the tub.

[ March 17, 2009, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: DarkKnight ]

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I've had good luck with Barkeeper's Friend on bathtubs. It's non-abrasive and won't damage the tub but cleans excellently well.

Oh! Beat me to it! Same thought came to mind for the tub itself. [Smile]
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DSH:
I've discovered that a Magic Eraser (or any cheap knock-off) works well for removing light to moderate hard water stains and soap scum... and no harsh chemicals required!

Never tried it on heavy stains, but it might be worth a try.

I used Magic Eraser to get spray paint off of my tub.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkKnight:
They took a grapefruit, cut it in half, sprinkled it with salt and scrubbed the tub with it. For really rough spots they scrubbed it lightly and let it sit for awhile. After a bit they washed it again with a nylon scrubber, I think, and it came amazingly clean.
The grapefruit has a lot of acid and the salt acts as a mild abrasive that shouldn't hurt the tub.

I caught you! [Laugh] You watch How Clean is Your House on BBC! I love Kim and Aggie!
Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I did watch it yesterday! [Smile] I couldn't remember the name of the show. The blonde lady is very funny
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Something with citric acid in it, like DK said.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Zud for getting any sort of dark stains off bathtubs, toilets, or sinks. It is amazing how well it works. For tough stains I wet it and make a paste that I leave to sit for a while before wetting and scrubbing off.

You might want to look into the Black and Decker Scumbuster or something of the sort. Multiplies your elbow grease factor greatly.

[ March 17, 2009, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

Area: I had lots of rust stains and also an orange something on the top of the tub and tiles above the tub that Clorox and other foam cleaners didn't dint.

I also had the scum you could barely scratch off with your fingers in the tub. The glass doors are for later.

Solution:

I tried the whole grapefruit and salt thing with disappointing results on the top of the tub and the grim in the tub. Maybe I didn't scrub long enough or let it sit long enough, but...disappointing.

I tried the Magic Eraser on the rust. WOW. Scrub scrub gone. Scrub scrub gone. However, I only had four pads and they were going fast.

I next tried Barkeeper's Friend. It took slightly more work but was as effective and certainly more economical. In minutes the top of the tube, the above tiles, and the grout between the tiles were sparkly!

Barkeepers didn't clean the grim in the tub that well. I tried some of my other generic cleaners to no avail. I grabbed the Magic Eraser again and WHAM! Sparkly!

I have never had an easier time cleaning a tub, and I have never had a more difficult tub to clean.

Why have I spent all these years with Clorox, Arm and Hammer Scrub Free (yeah right), and Comet Spray Gel?

Thank you Hatrack. I am replacing my cleaning solutions!

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so happy your tub is clean, Lem.

I love the Magic Eraser! I buy the generic ones everytime I shop.

Has anyone noticed a difference in the name brand versus the generic?

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I think they clean about the same but I notice that the generic tend to fall apart a little faster.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
Some generic erasers come with a sponge backing which allowes you to get more use out of each pad than you (well, I) get from an un-backed pad.

Generic and name brand seem to both work the same for me.

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Just note that Magic Erasers are abrasive cleaners, so they can damage some surfaces.

For instance, my kids used a permanent marker on some maple cabinets that had a satin finish. The Magic Eraser took it off, but considerably dulled the finish. It was better than leaving the marker there but the cabinets no longer looked the same. (I used a restorative wood finish product - I forget which - to make them look nicer again.)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that the generic ones work as well but are harder on my hands and don't last as long.

So I wear gloves and buy them at the dollar store where it's $1 for a 2 or sometimes a 4 pack.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Just note that Magic Erasers are abrasive cleaners, so they can damage some surfaces.

Yep, that's how they work. They are microfine abrasives.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
I think they clean about the same but I notice that the generic tend to fall apart a little faster.

This is my experience as well.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
About the glass: I have Utah hard water, and I've tried EVERYTHING.

Save yourself some work. Make a solution 3/4 vinegar, a couple tablespoons of ammonia, a tiny squirt of dishsoap, and the rest water. Put it in a spraybottle.

Spray the glass, soak. Spray the glass, scrub. Spray the glass, magic eraser.

It'll all be sparkling clean.

Use that solution w / magic eraser to clean everything. Sometimes glass will get a little streaky. Make another solution without the soap for streaky glass.

If you really need it, use bleach seperately, but don't mix. It won't get any CLEANER, but it will get whiter.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
My MIL thinks I'm crazy b/c I wash the tub and shower every day, but it does prevent buildup of any kind. I use Greased Lightening to get rid of any tough dirt in the kitchen and I'm sure it would work well in the bathroom.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.