FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Obama is really starting to scare me (H.R. 1388) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Obama is really starting to scare me (H.R. 1388)
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
Because if you do that, eventually the whole forest is destroyed by the fire you can't stop.

Viva la revolution
"la revolution" means millions upon millions of deaths. I'll take some businesses collapsing due to bad decision making instead of being propped up by taking money from future generations, personally.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yes, that is the metaphor.

Having businesses collapsing would be the small forest fires. However, it seems that your government is intent on going the other way which will eventually lead to the big forest fire, a revolution.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
They create problems so they can swoop in and save the day with government takeovers, "never let a good crisis go to waste" Fannie and Freddie, govt created. AIG, Obama admin had Dodd amend bailout to include bonus. Fake outrage, and pass a crazy tax bill that will end up applying to anyone who received bailout money and makes over 250k. The bailout money will spread throughout the system and if you got some and you get a bonus you'll pay 90% to uncle sam. It's a law that will have tentacles beyond AIG but the people are outraged and short sighted.
Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Mucus: the strong lesson of, for instance, the Japanese financial crisis was that propping up banks by protecting them entirely from counterparty risks only created zombie banks. I'm even okay with partial payments to AIG's creditors for political reasons, but if those banks don't take substantial haircuts, they will have no reason to actually make good decisions. In fact, they will have been given quite a bit of reason to make bad decisions. This has played out time and time again in financial crises, including the great depression and the S&L crisis. Successful recovery meant letting companies that couldn't sustain themselves fail, helping only those companies that really did just need some cash, directly (instead of, say, blanket protection for AIG's counterparties), and providing social protections to the individuals affected.

A post linking to a couple more complete expositions of the argument: http://professorbainbridge.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=ea7e50fd%2D4e37%2D425b%2Db0e2%2D6e700cb90bba&ID=3011

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oshki
Member # 11986

- posted      Profile for Oshki   Email Oshki         Edit/Delete Post 
President Obama when referring to the pork in the stimulus package dismissed it as old business. But the AIG retention bonus contracts were old business also. Isn’t it all pork? I guess government pork was ok but business pork is wrong? In this case both came out of taxpayer pockets. What was the stimulus pork total again?

The executives could spend that bonus money and stimulate the economy. I suppose pig stench research will stimulate something. Sounds to me like Connecticut will loose out on bonus money that might be spent there. Heck, it is still getting money out into the economy.

I don't think that pumping Chinese money into the system is a good idea. But at least the powers that be should treat all expenditures of taxpayer money with the same care. Just change the term Pork to Bonuses.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

fugu13: Sure, the US government definitely has the moral authority to govern what kind of banking system it wants inside its own borders. It can make whatever decisions it wants to regarding which companies to prop up (or not) and which individuals to provide social protection. The tricky bit is when it attempts to make decisions on behalf of other countries.

In this case AIG's counter parties included many foreign banks that would find it greatly unfair that the US government was on one hand propping up domestic banks while potentially shutting out their claims. For example, Canadian banks have already made quite a bit of media noise about being extremely wary about some of these US banks that were given money at below market interest rates by the government.

I suspect that this was one aspect of the political reasons to preserve the payments, to avoid exacerbating the problem by creating a situation where the US would be seen as protecting AIG's domestic counterparties but leaving AIG's foreign counterparties out to dry.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

The US gov't is also getting no say in how Canadian banks are run, unlike the US banks it is intervening with (and less say than I feel it should, there). It is just handing money to the foreign banks that they would never have had in the normal course of business, with no strings attached, and that is a very bad incentive to keep making stupid deals with large US financial firms.

Especially as most of those banks apparently have credit default swaps in place against AIG, ensuring they don't even lose much money on the swaps they have with AIG if it goes under!

Mucus
Member # 9735

I'm pretty cool with all of that except I don't think the incentive issue is all that much of a problem. I don't think its nearly enough money to really change behaviour all that much when compared to the money that the foreign banks have lost courtesy of those large US financial firms.
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see what the problem with the volunteering is, right now every high school in my state has volunteering as a requirement to graduate, And the incentive of 4000$ for 100 hours of community service is good enough for me to want this to become a reality.

Although I am going to buy myself a gun, helping out others would be such a radical change for America that comething bad has to happen. Like zombies.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hurm.
Guns.
Samurai swords are way cooler than guns. Handmade by actual Japanese people (or a Brazilian dood adopted by a long line of Japanese sword makers) in the traditional way. IT PWNS GUNZ DOOD! PWNZ!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

Not to compare Obama to Hitler, just the current tone in our society.

Swap "Jew" with "rich" and our administration sounds a lot like 1930's Germany.

Swap "Communist" with "executive" and our congress sounds a lot like 1950's McCarthy Hearings.

Funny we have swung in 50 years from demonizing the Communists to demonizing the Capitalist...just an observation.

Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Samurai swords are way cooler than guns. Handmade by actual Japanese people (or a Brazilian dood adopted by a long line of Japanese sword makers) in the traditional way. IT PWNS GUNZ DOOD! PWNZ!
Indeed.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:
quote:
Indeed.
That was so cool! Samurai swords are awesome!

I must have some.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:

Swap "Communist" with "executive" and our congress sounds a lot like 1950's McCarthy Hearings.

Funny we have swung in 50 years from demonizing the Communists to demonizing the Capitalist...just an observation.

Yeah, I know that I outed my neighbors last week for being executives. They were acting funny is all, but I knew it.........

They sound nothing alike.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Indeed.
I wouldn't necessarily say that the gun lost the fight. Bullets are often engineered specifically to split apart on contact with a target. It seems like both weapons did what they were supposed to in that demonstration.

Still, a well-made Samurai sword is a mighty thing.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Wait...did I miss something? When did we start sending rich people to die in concentration camps or blacklisting executives?
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
quote:
quote:
Indeed.
I wouldn't necessarily say that the gun lost the fight. Bullets are often engineered specifically to split apart on contact with a target. It seems like both weapons did what they were supposed to in that demonstration.

Still, a well-made Samurai sword is a mighty thing.

I think were missing the point, we need to be worried about zombies with guns, OR with swords and if I ever see a zombie with a gunblade, were done.
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
quote:

Wait...did I miss something? When did we start sending rich people to die in concentration camps or blacklisting executives?
Germany in the 1930's--there weren't what we think of as concentration camps yet. But it's true, rich people are still citizens.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That gun - didn't have a shot! hehe
Genius.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

Sorry Germans, I should've used the other axis power as an example:

Grassley (R-Iowa) said: “The first thing that would make me feel a little bit better towards them if they’d follow the Japanese model and come before the American people and take that deep bow and say I’m sorry, and then either do one of two things — resign, or go commit suicide.”

No, this isn't blacklisting yet, just a senator talking to the American people.

How about this peaceful protest:
He explained that there had been death threats, and read an example: “All the executives and their families should be executed with piano wire around their necks,” it said. “That is our only hope

[ March 23, 2009, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: malanthrop ]

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Damn, you're on to Obama's plan to send rich people to gas chambers.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

The Jews were demonized for many years before it came to that. Jews were the scapegoat, now the wealthy are the scapegoat. Don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain, the govt created the banking crisis and now blames the banks. Refuse to allow oil drilling or the creation of a single refinery in 30 years, blame the oil companies for high prices. Ammend the bailout so AIG gets bonus money then play dumb and trump up political anger for increased taxes. When the masses are mad enough at the "rich" they will tolerate higher taxes for the greedy elite. If we enter a true depression like 1930's Germany, we need a scapegoat that isn't the government.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I've lost what you're going on about, unless your purpose was to throw more hyperbole on the pile.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jews were the scapegoat, now the wealthy are the scapegoat.
Yeah, I'm terrified that the people with all the money and power are suddenly going to be rounded up and killed. Because having all the money and power is fun, but certainly isn't useful in that sort of situation.

quote:
When the masses are mad enough at the "rich" they will tolerate higher taxes for the greedy elite.
Dude, are you seriously going to suggest that increasing the top marginal tax rate by a couple percentage points is even remotely equivalent to, say, shipping people to gas chambers in cattle cars?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

I fail to see where I suggested such a thing. You did. Societal scapegoats, a means of stirring up support for increased taxation. I'm certainly not wealthy but I understand increasing taxes results in layoffs and higher prices for the little guy. The poor pay in the end. They'll get you mad at the oil companies and charge them "windfall profits tax" and the liberals cheer....gas prices go up. Sheep.
Xann.
Member # 11482

quote:

THIS IS WHERE YOU SUGGESTED IT!

You might have missed that with all that hyperbole blocking you from the real world.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, for...'the gov't created the banking crisis'. Oh, really?

The government is culpable in the banking crisis to be sure, but they're not the only parties. It's not as though The Wealthy were out doing chores in front of their house, shoveling snow out of the walkway, when The Government (complete in leather jacket, smoking a cigarette) sidled up and said, "Pst, hey kid! C'mere," and then hoodwinked the responsible but naive Wealthy into doing something wrong.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm certainly not wealthy but I understand increasing taxes results in layoffs and higher prices for the little guy.
Not necessarily. There's an issue of marginal utility that's quite relevant, especially when money is tight. In a nutshell, a dollar has much lower marginal utility to the rich than to the poor. More importantly, a dollar in the hands of the rich has lower utility to the economy than a dollar in the hands of the poor. When the economy is bad and you want to stimulate spending, giving money to the rich is the wrong way to do it; it is far more efficient to take money away from the rich and give it to the poor, who are far more likely to spend it.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
See, that's the argument I never understand. What's wrong with the rich guy saving the money? He's got it invested somewhere and that bank or insurance company or brokerage is going to loan the money out. It doesn't disappear from the economy because the rich guy saves it.

I'm not convinced that there's a class of people who are more deserving than others. Everyone seems just as entitled to whatever thay can legaly earn to me.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Ah. You still think of money as being something people "deserve," as if it were a measure of worth. This is a very bad way to think about economics, IMO.
fugu13
Member # 2859

I'm interested in keeping money in the hands of the people who make it, generally, because that's what usually makes the most people the most well off.

There are a number of people on the low end not handled by the system, though, so I'm perfectly fine with taxing the wealthy (edit: and to varying extents other people, as appropriate) to remedy those iniquities. (Just as I'm fine with establishing a strong system of property rights in the first place to remedy other iniquities).

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Tom is talking about whether people deserve money, but where it is most useful. As I understand it (and I'd say my grasp is tenuous as best), one of the problems with our economy right now is the banks have no idea how much liability they have, and so they don't really want to make loans to businesses. So if someone gets money and gives it to the bank, and if the bank then sits on it, very little has been done to stimulate the economy. Contrast that with a person who is barely making ends meet. They're unlikely to put it in the bank instead of spending it on, say, medical care they've been putting off because they couldn't afford it. Even if the clinic then turns around and just saves the money, at least it's done a little more for the economy than if it had immediately been saved.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
inequities

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well, there's plenty of iniquity that needs to be remedied, too.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You still think of money as being something people "deserve," as if it were a measure of worth.
When you talk about giving to a group or taking away from a group, I do think we should ask if someone deserves it. Mostly because I agree with this:

quote:
I'm interested in keeping money in the hands of the people who make it, generally, because that's what usually makes the most people the most well off.
If you earned it or someone left it to you, it's yours. You should get to keep as much of it as you can or spend as much as you want to. But I also think you should live with those consequences. If you spend it all, the rich guy shouldn't have to give you part of his money to make up for your bad decisions.

I'm cool with social safety nets. Unemployment is a wonderful thing. Temporary welfare I have no problems with. I'd actually like to see more education available for people on what they can get help with from the billions of groups across the country. I just don't like it when help crosses the line to a way of life, and I see that as a potential consequence of treating the rich like the poor man's ATM.

quote:
So if someone gets money and gives it to the bank, and if the bank then sits on it, very little has been done to stimulate the economy.
I agree with this, as well. I just don't see where taking from the rich and giving to the poor would fix that. Right problem, wrong solution, in my opinion.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

AvidReader.

I should take a lesson from your eloquence. I'm the local right wing racist nut job.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mack started by govt, regulated by government to back "toxic loans" and holding 40% of the American Mortgages went first. Bush admin warned Barnie Frank in 2003 but he was too busy being the #1 recipient of their campaign contributions. (If you ignore the California bank that had a run on it after a Democratic sentator from a different state said it was going to fail) Have we forgotten about the impending economic collapse of other governemt creations,,social security, medcaire/medicaid. Rather than address existing problems, blame AIG. AIG insured these loans, the packaging and repackaging was a Fannie Freddie thing, a govt thing to encourage banks to lend to people who couldn't otherwise afford it. Come to find out, they really couldn't.

[ March 23, 2009, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: malanthrop ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Wow. It's like you're building a straw man out of other straw men.
fugu13
Member # 2859

Scott: no, I meant iniquities. I am generally not interested in remedying economic inequities. I think many of them are structurally necessary to ensuring things like enough food for everyone. I am, however, very interested in remedying economic iniquities, such as starvation, lack of housing, that sort of thing.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Recycling is always a good idea.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

Precisely, house of cards. Where was the foundation?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It's a strawmen cheerleader pyramid. A wickerman!
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:

A straw golem
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not what a golem is. Golems are made of inanimate matter, like clay, then animated.

Not scavenged bits of other simulacra.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I think I saw that in an anime once.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Now, if I only had a brain made out of other brains.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Mad cow!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
quote:

Now, if I only had a brain made out of other brains.
You could be a zombie Lincoln.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/obama/chi-rahm-emanuel-profit-26-mar26,0,5682373.story

Here you go, a needle in the haystack and tells everything I mentioned. The change you wanted from the home town of Obama. The ultra-right Chicago tribune. Fannie and Freddie, long time Dem piggy bank and the Pres's right hand man....Change we can believe in.

Spoiler alert....If you want to maintain your illusions, do not read the entire article.

malanthrop
Member # 11992

quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/obama/chi-rahm-emanuel-profit-26-mar26,0,5682373.story

Here you go, a needle in the haystack and tells everything I mentioned. The change you wanted from the home town of Obama. The ultra-right Chicago tribune. Fannie and Freddie, long time Dem piggy bank and the Pres's right hand man....Change we can believe in.

Spoiler alert....If you want to maintain your illusions, do not read the entire article.

What, no comment, iteresting...
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember -- are you supposed to be idiot-Locke or idiot-Demosthenes?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.