FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Calling all Writers

Author Topic: Calling all Writers
beleaguered
Member # 11983

- posted      Profile for beleaguered           Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished my first rough draft of a novel I've been writing for the last few months, and would like to tap into your expertise. I wondered if the fantabulous writers of Hatrack have come across any particularly useful websites for submitting manuscripts, and if so, could you please share with the rest of the class?
Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
You should really head over to the writer's side of the forum for this one. First of all, you need a polished draft before you can even think about submitting it to anyone. Second, you need to decide what type of publisher you are interested in. If you are looking for a big publishing house, you'll want to query agents. If you're interested in smaller to medium size houses, you can query directly. Each person you query (agent or publisher) will have different guidelines. They may just ask for a letter or they may ask for a query package which may include: a cover letter, a synopsis (1-5 pages, depending upon who's asking), a chapter by chapter outline, and/or the first x pages of the manuscript.

This is a long and difficult process. If you haven't had a thorough critique done of your novel, I recommend finding someone to read it for you before you even begin. The writer's side of the forum has resources for hooking up with other writers. I met my favorite 2 writing buddies there. You may also want some help getting your query package ready.

When you say "a site for submitting manuscripts" I'm not really sure what you're looking for, or I'd try to give you some more help with that.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the writer's guides I've read also suggest working to get some short fiction published first. If you get some name recognition its easier to get publishers (and/or agents) to look at your novels. It might not be easy to get short fiction published - at least not for pay - but it is easier to get a foot in the door with a short story than it is with a novel.

It's also supposed to be really good practice.

It might also be easier to obtain feedback and learn from your mistakes with a short piece. With a novel, someone might read a few pages and hand you a list of problems (if you're lucky, and they don't just say "I couldn't really get into it."). "But you didn't even read the good parts!" With a short piece they can finish it without a major commitment and hopefully explain what worked and what didn't.

All of this from an unpublished writer. And Stephanie Meyer proves you don't need to do any of that. [Wink]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All of this from an unpublished writer. And Stephanie Meyer proves you don't need to do any of that
Or, you know, even have a decent story. [Wink]

Head to the library and get a Writer's Guide and start trying to find the contact info for agents that represent the genre you have written. But, before you submit...your draft needs to be polished. First drafts rarely are. First drafts are usually...well, like first drafts. [Smile]

Revise, edit, polish. Now is the point where I insert the old adage "writing is re-writing."

This from a writer who has had some short stuff published, but no novels. So take it for what it's worth - probably not a whole lot. [Smile]

Good luck and congrats on finishing a novel first draft - that is an accomplishment!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beleaguered
Member # 11983

Thanks folks for the advice. I certainly will do a rewrite, or several, and will have someone critique the novel before submitting it anywhere. This information will help me get going. I'll see if I can't get some of my shorter works published first. Either way, I'll check out the writer's side of the forum for more help.

Thanks again!

Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

For the record, while I did get a handful of crappy short stories published in small magazines before getting my novel published, I didn't find short story writing to be either useful or fulfilling. It just took time away from what I wanted to be doing. Write short stories if you like writing short stories. If you don't, there are other ways to get published. (If you do enjoy writing short stories, then it is a decent way to get started.)
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I think about it, it seems like the surest way to get published and sell some books is to write a writer's guide.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Now that I think about it, it seems like the surest way to get published and sell some books is to write a writer's guide.

That's for sure!

Sort of like the surest way to make money is to develop a book or videotape about how to get rich quick.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beleaguered
Member # 11983

Why don't I write a book about how to get rich quick with writing?
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by beleaguered:
Why don't I write a book about how to get rich quick with writing?

Too far-fetched. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.