FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » ID Me (A Forum Game)

Author Topic: ID Me (A Forum Game)
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this idea bouncing around in my head and I was hoping to try it out here.

If there is a way to modify this game to make it more fun I would be happy to take suggestions before we actually try it out.

Rules: To participate in this game you have to create an alternate hatrack username that nobody else knows. This is probably the most obnoxious part of the game.

This game can only work if the players are honest.

You enter the round by confessing three true things about yourself. One truth must be a belief you subscribe to. Another must be a hobby, and the last truth must be a person you admire.

You then participate in this thread by talking, commenting, debate, etc, but you do not reveal who your better known alias is. You must attempt to identify who everyone else really is.

You eliminate somebody by correctly identifying their alias with their real hatrack name. If you are identified it's up to you to be honest and admit it.

Instead of trying to eliminate somebody you may attempt to draw out their true identity by making an accusation. For example, you could say to another player (calling on them by their game name) "X is a man!" or "Y is a protestant!" the accusations must be specific and cannot be broad. You cannot say, "Z is older than 30!" or "T has a job!" If you are being accused you must answer honestly. Unless there needs to be there is no limit to how many accusations you can make, except that you can only accuse a specific player once each day.

Score is tracked as follows. Everyone starts with two points. If you attempt to identify somebody and are wrong you lose a point. If you correctly identify somebody you gain two points. If you are identified, you're out of the round. If you run out of points you're out of the round. Everyday that goes by without you being identified so long as you participated in the game by talking, accusing, identifying, etc, you gain a point.

A round lasts a week, or until all but one player is eliminated. If a round ends and there are multiple players remaining the one with the most points wins. If a round ends and you have not been identified, even if you didn't win, you can carry your moniker into the next round. Or you can reveal yourself and revel in victory.

For the first round I will keep score, and decide who has been eliminated. Again this game only works with honest players, if you are ID'd, fess up, and take it like a good sport.

I would love to play a game like this but I fear that there are loopholes and strategies I haven't thought of that would make it no fun. I'd appreciate help from game minded hatrackers on how to make a game like this work and more importantly fun to play.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone would just end up being BlackBlade.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
Everyone would just end up being BlackBlade.

How do you mean? I don't believe the forum allows for multiple users to have the same name.

edit: Or were you saying that I am so pathetic that if nobody signed up I'd just create a bunch of alts and pretend people were interested. [Frown]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
It may be interesting to watch. But I suspect that it would be rather difficult for some of us to come up with the three things in such a way that the more outlying members (such as myself?) wouldn't be quickly distinguishable.

On the other hand, I guess thats one aspect of the rules as currently laid out. Its in the best interest of everyone to appear as non-distinctive and average (as Joe the Plumber-ish?) as possible.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the overall idea of the game, I just think it's a bit hard to pull off practically. I think there are some core members that will be pretty easy to identify, but then you might get some of the lesser known members who aren't as obvious who they are based on those truths. Like me, I mean, my political views are kind of obvious based on my posts but I bet unless you already knew my hobbies, you wouldn't get it from an alternate alias.

This might work if you make it so we have to add something to our REAL handle's profile info so that if a person has a hunch, they can check out that person and cross check a hobby or something.

I don't know. I like the idea, I just think that we need to hone the rules a bit more to make it more of a game.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting. As I was reading this I was thinking: I wonder if there's a way to modify this premise for a non-online game. Maybe make it so instead of an alias, you are assigned someone else's identity in the group, and you have to give info about them, and answer questions about them. Then it becomes a test of how well you know someone else in the group.

Has anyone ever played a game like that?

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Jeorge:
Sounds interesting. As I was reading this I was thinking: I wonder if there's a way to modify this premise for a non-online game. Maybe make it so instead of an alias, you are assigned someone else's identity in the group, and you have to give info about them, and answer questions about them. Then it becomes a test of how well you know someone else in the group.

Has anyone ever played a game like that?

I originally thought of making the game more along the lines of you assume the role of another hatracker and try to mimic them in their positions and attitudes and people try to figure who you are impersonating. But then I ran into the problem of what if somebody pretends to be say BlackBlade and then is very ungenerous in how they mimic me regardless of intention. The possibility for feelings to be hurt seemed quite likely.

----

The three truths (or some variation of it) I think is essential as if everyone enters the game totally blind there is no incentive to volunteer information out of the gate. There needs to be something useful but not game breaking for people to work off of. Perhaps if you are playing the game that week you have to post in all threads as your new alias thus giving people more information to work off of.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
One way to make it work would be to have a moderator who has the real ID, and the true answers to the questions.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm malanthrop.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
OH! there are actually anon email submission tools that would make this easier and not actually require smurfs. I wish I could find it though.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackHand
Member # 11999

- posted      Profile for BackHand           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you get extra points for convincing the moderator to abandon his integrity and just tell you?
Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I'm malanthrop.

I'm sure everyone here realized that a long time ago.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I was thinking, and I think there should be a list, (perhaps I'll just edit the first post in the game thread each time) where a listing of all the real hatrack names participating are so that people at least know who is in the round . The list won't actually go up until there are at least three players participating. I think that should help without making it too easy.

Kwea: Yes the person keeping score should definitely have a list of all the correct ID with nicknames.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
And that makes it easy to call foul if someone wanted to be less than honest. [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maIanthrop
Member # 12015

- posted      Profile for maIanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in! I suspect that this exercise could be enlightening as well as amusing.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beIeagered
Member # 12016

- posted      Profile for beIeagered           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by maIanthrop:

You know what, maIanthrop? You're right! That perspective shows insight and acumen. I'll play, too.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll play but do you know me that well?

?_?

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I'll admit, I laughed.
Tadpole
Member # 12017

- posted      Profile for Tadpole   Email Tadpole         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I believe that as long as I keep smiling people will smile back.

[Smile]

My favorite hobby is playing StarCraft RISK vII.

Hmmmmm......... Admiring someone is hard for me, but I admire most of you jatraqueros [Smile]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I'm not sure we are ready to begin! [Razz]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tadpole:

[Smile]

Hmmmmm......... Admiring someone is hard for me, but I admire most of you jatraqueros [Smile]

JennaDean.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beIeagered:
quote:
Originally posted by maIanthrop:

You know what, maIanthrop? You're right! That perspective shows insight and acumen. I'll play, too.
I take this as an admission that you are one person.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro, you realize that neither of those is the original, right? Only maianthrop and beieagered have posted in this thread.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DomTavidson
Member # 12018

- posted      Profile for DomTavidson           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll play. When do we get started?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

We can get started when at least a handful of people think the rules will make for an enjoyable game.

Also since I will probably moderate the first round I need to know every alias' real hatrack name. It can be emailed to me through the forums.

Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DomTavidson:
I'll play. When do we get started?

Literally was rolling with laughter. Good work.
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tadpole
Member # 12017

- posted      Profile for Tadpole   Email Tadpole         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by Tadpole:

[Smile]

JennaDean.
Wrong o'!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
So we're not gonna play this game?
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.