FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What to do in New Orleans?

Author Topic: What to do in New Orleans?
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be in New Orleans on business from April 15-17, but then my fiancee and I will be sticking around the night of the 17th through the weekend.

What are the *can't miss* things we should focus on while we're there? It essentially boils down to two days and three nights - and we are trying to be budget conscious.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I must confess to a certain amusement at what I perceive as symmetry in having a "What to do in New Orleans" thread going at the same time as a "What to do in Salt Lake City" thread.

(Not that I'm full of insights for either.)

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to NO for work before Katrina. So my suggestions may not be valid.

I really enjoyed the World War II museum. It was very well done. The landing craft that were used during D-Day were made there.

The aquarium was nice.

If your a fan of Bannana's Foster, you need to check out Brennan's. It's a very nice restaurant in the French Quarter. Bring your money though.

Lots of good food and live music.

If your in to ghost stories, there are after dark cemetary tours and the like.

There are also plantation tours.

Just a few suggestions.

Tull

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Get beignets at Cafe du Monde. Seriously. They are so tasty.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I could have sworn I posted in this thread. I agree with Fyfe on the beignets. I would do one of the tours of the city. We did a donkey drawn carriage and got a good overview of the French Quarter and learned some interesting stuff. We also did a haunted walking tour, which was very interesting. There are little historical details that would be easy to miss- like they have one of the old slave cells, but there is no signs or anything- it just looks like a randomly lit hallway. We also parked our car in a haunted place- across from the house Nicolas Cage owns and does nothing with.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you interested in? New Orleans has alot of stuff for alot of different kind of people. For instance, a carriage ride would bore me but I love hanging out in Jackson Square checking out all the artists and getting my Tarot read. I haven't done the walking tour stuff but I've seen a few groups going about and it seems interesting. The aquarium is really nice.

You like history? Nature? Food? Wild nights? Relaxing nights?

As a local, I hate being deep in the French Quarter after hours. If you're down for drinks and music, I recommend Frenchmen St.

Beignets are a must! Just remember not to breathe while eating them. If you exhale while holding them up to your face, you will cover yourself and everyone around you in powdered sugar.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Jackson Square. I third Cafe du Monde.

I went absolutely bonkers at the Audubon Zoo. It was sooo awesome! Definitely a must.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, re: beignets - if you breathe IN around them, you will inhale powdered sugar and it will be unpleasant.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Beignets sound good just from the warnings.

We are pretty relaxed, and enjoy history, culture, nature, art, good food, and good drink.

Not so big on "wild nights" or debauchery, meaning the usual club/bar scene is out, though we are a fan of cool pubs with good beer/food.

We're generally not obsessed with touristy stuff, though if there are "must see" things in a location we'll go see.

As of right now, we'll be participating in a Habitat for Humanity cleanup of a school on Wednesday before the convention starts (organized by the convention planners, which is cool). Then Thurs/Fri will be in a convention (though my fiancee will be on her own), and nights at the Ritz Carlton on Canal St.

Friday night through Sunday night, we'll be in the La Quinta in the french quarter, and our time will be our own.

Another of our friends recommended brunch at the Court of 2 Sisters, and to get gator bites at Ralph and Cuckoos.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.