FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Vernor Vinge ASAP

Author Topic: Vernor Vinge ASAP
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so Vernor Vinge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernor_Vinge) is giving a guest presentation in my CS class today. Any questions that I should ask? I'm not a fan, but I suspect there are hatrackers who are.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky. His zones in space are pretty cool.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Ask him whether he would like to see a transparent society or one that protects privacy with strong encryption.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
What technologies do you think are most likely to cause a singularity in our lifetimes? Is there anything we can do to avoid this? Is this something we want to avoid?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ask him where he gets his ideas!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Ask him whether he would like to see a transparent society or one that protects privacy with strong encryption.

I'd really like to hear his answer to this.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

I ended up chatting with him after the class for a bit about whether or not symbol manipulation is sufficient for intentionality, and if so then is it sufficient for qualia? We also discussed whether the singularity is something to be feared or not. Is it something that should be considered the next stage in evolution and embraced with open arms, or is it something that we should really attempt to prevent.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
And his thoughts were...?
Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty envious. A Fire Upon the Deep and Rainbow's End were both fascinating.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

He told me that he used to think that symbol manipulation was sufficient for anything, but not he's not sure anymore. Clearly it's good enough to function identically to a human, but does that mean intentionality? And qualia is even more difficult.

He said that he didn't think that the singularity should be feared, and that it should be encouraged. What makes our mind have more value than that of computers (if they get them)?

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm jealous. Vernor Vinge is one of the most thought provoking sci-fi writers out there.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.