FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How cool is urinating?

Author Topic: How cool is urinating?
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
...and it's not even spam.

I was watching 30Rock on Hulu and it had a commercial for Time Warp. This looks like a really good show.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Fun to watch. I feel vindicated in my decision to simply sit down when using a toilet.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Extremely.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was going to be about this:
quote:
I know I promised I wouldn't answer this disgusting question, but my will is weak. Besides, the subject has been debated on alt.fan.cecil-adams off and on for weeks, and even though no firm conclusions have been arrived at (par for the course on the net), the least I can do is give an interim report. We've made progress on one front: someone came up with an impressive-sounding name. Peter H. M. Brooks proposes post-micturition convulsion syndrome, or PMCS. Sure beats "piss shiver." Maybe now we can apply for a big federal grant.

The following key facts have also been unearthed: Women--some, anyway--also experience PCMS. That's it.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1044/what-causes-piss-shiver
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
That wasn't even close to peeing.

How many guys stand several feet away from the toilet and pee straight forward?
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Fun to watch. I feel vindicated in my decision to simply sit down when using a toilet.

[Laugh]
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The spattering is actually worse than just a few drops on the toilet seat. Ever stood in line to use a urinal when the sunlight is shining in such a way as to catch rogue beads of urine as they fly away from the urinal? It's startling just how much urine flies away, and how far it sometimes goes.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, you're making it hard to keep that on the 'don't think about' list!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
:: laugh ::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:

The spattering is actually worse than just a few drops on the toilet seat. Ever stood in line to use a urinal when the sunlight is shining in such a way as to catch rogue beads of urine as they fly away from the urinal? It's startling just how much urine flies away, and how far it sometimes goes.
Urinal design universally sucks. We need to aim into the top of a deep, steep V and strike against the back wall of it. Vertical splashback would be very unlikely.

Modern urinal design seems to accommodate only two things: variations in height*, and ease of cleaning.

*What I mean here is floor clearance.

Edit: Wow, I had no idea how stark the, um, other meaning of the above was until a minute later.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
See, this is why my wife insisted I have my own bathroom... at 7-11, two blocks away.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Anyway, for men who prefer to sit: I'd bet you get just as much scatter, but tend to catch it with your bare tush instead of your pants.

It's lucky, really, that urine isn't all that horrible. Imagine the procedural nightmare if it was routinely pathogenic.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel very edumicated now.

I guess I just have to ask: is this true?

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Originally posted by adenam:
I feel very edumicated now.

I guess I just have to ask: is this true?

Not really. That is, it might reflect someone's real ideas about correct etiquette, but it's comically exaggerated beyond what most of us would consider correct.

For instance, I agree that when possible, you should not use a urinal that is adjacent to another one in use when a non-adjacent spot is open, but if no non-adjacent urinal is open, it's acceptable to use any open one. Users selecting from an open bank should select to maximize the remaining non-adjacent options.

I also think that avoiding conversation and eye contact in the restroom is best, but saying "excuse me" to navigate around people entering or exiting is OK. (But not to excuse noises intrinsic to the purpose of the room - those are properly ignored.*)

Striking up conversation is a no-no (for reasons of efficiency and because it's more comfortable to maintain the pretense that activities in there are divorced from identity).

*I think in rare cases a performance might deserve some polite applause, but it's really up to the audience.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to say "Good luck" to people in public bathrooms.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to make the situation awkward by talking to myself as I get ready for the urinal, y'know, "C'mon now, don't be shy. We dressed you up all nice and pretty for the public so don't you go hiding. There... see? You have nothing to be afraid of. They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

Nah, not really. But if I had the guts to do it, I think it'd be fun.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How cool is urinating?
Usually about body temperature.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
They went through all that effort to set up accurate conditions, then set their "urinary tract" at where it would be, roughly, on a man eight feet tall? And then they simulated that eight foot tall man peeing into a toilet about a foot shorter than a normal one?

Great use of corn syrup, though.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Anyway, for men who prefer to sit: I'd bet you get just as much scatter, but tend to catch it with your bare tush instead of your pants.

Nope, the urine is hitting the front of the seat so at least a sizeable portion of it should be bouncing up against the part of the bowl where the water streams out. Avoiding arguments about seat position and cleanup however is the real bonus.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's THIS cool.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.