FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Let's Play Dwarf Fortress

Author Topic: Let's Play Dwarf Fortress
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who aren't familiar with it, Dwarf Fortress is a computer game which is sort of like a cross between sim city, dungeon keeper, and roguelikes.

There's a fairly popular mode of play known as succession games. Essentially, each person takes control of the fortress for one year, after which it is passed down to the next. After each turn (or during, I suppose), the person with the fortress will do a writeup on what happened over the year.

The game does have a bit of a learning curve, so I'd recommend checking out a tutorial if you are new to the game.

The game can be found here.

Boatmurdered(language warning) is a somewhat famous example of a succession game, although it uses an older version and the game has changed considerably since then.

So, is anyone interested?

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
"A bit" of a learning curve? DF has more like a learning cliff. [Razz]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING: Not for use if your nerd meter is already dangerously maxed out. Could result in complete withdrawal from society and/or insanity.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh I can't wait till I have a couple hours to go through the wiki and learn the game! Looks good.

Do you play against other people online? Is it a world of player? Do you play against the computer? Or is it a combination of either play against someone or play against the computer?

This is what I am looking for and it's free!

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:

Do you play against other people online? Is it a world of player? Do you play against the computer? Or is it a combination of either play against someone or play against the computer?

It's all against the computer. For the most part, it's similar to city building games in that the challenge generally comes from overcoming environmental hazards while setting up a functioning society. Depending on the zone, the hurdles are usually things such as enemy armies, hostile creatures (especially in haunted areas where you have to fend off zombies, skeletons, and whatnot), or lack of critical resources.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.