FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is D&D online any good?

Author Topic: Is D&D online any good?
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Well is it?
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
As in tabletop play, it depends on the DM.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ithink he means is DDO or Dungeons and Dragons Online as in the MMORPG by WoTC any good, short answer; kinda.

Long answer:

Its heavily instances and I didn't see very much exploration in it and seemed mostly confined to the Ebberon city of Stormreach, alot of the game seemed soloable and the game breaks from D&D in just enough ways to make playing on a persistent world server in Neverwinter a much better alternative if you want somethng more D&D like. Also the high level raids are formuleac with no one DM'ing it so a guild once it knows what to do can easily clean them out no problems, they should have someone DM'ing those instances.

If you want something D&D themed version of Guild wars or world of warcraft go for it, if you want something completely different and enlightening your wasting your time.

I'ld take LoTRO over it because it lets you play a flute.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
DDO is essentially a deader with a minimum population, but it's apparently far more a balanced gameplay situation than other offerings like AoC, which may attract people to it despite how mediocre the gameplay reviews are.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

Uhhhhh

Whats a good mmorpg (with a free trial) that has cool magic?

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
WoW.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I keep coming back to Guild Wars. After unsuccessfully trying to get Pirates of the Burning Sea and tiring of Warhammer, I am back to GW with my brother.

It is perfect for casual gamers (who have a career, spouse, kids, and wants to keep them), has great PVP if you want it, and is very balanced. The bonus is that it has no monthly fee.

Edit: I can give a good preview of the strengths and weaknesses of the game if interested.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T:man:
Uhhhhh

Whats a good mmorpg (with a free trial) that has cool magic?

We had a thread on this not long ago, although towards the end it became a discussion on Eve online.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
WoW.

No the magic in wow is stupid. You can't summon undead (in a cool way).
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Your definition of "cool magic" is "can summon undead in a cool way?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:

Edit: I can give a good preview of the strengths and weaknesses of the game if interested.

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No the magic in wow is stupid. You can't summon undead (in a cool way).
As a Deathknight you can summon undead. Suppose they don't do it in a cool way though?

Heck, you can BE undead, which is all sorts of cool.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11614

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Your definition of "cool magic" is "can summon undead in a cool way?"

Yes, and have magic more like oblivion in a MMO.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.