FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Left clicking does what you've always wanted right clicking to do.

Author Topic: Left clicking does what you've always wanted right clicking to do.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the "Safely Remove Hardware" Icon:

Left clicking on the icon will bring up the 'easy' menu, from which you can immediately select the desired device, while right clicking in 'expert' mode brings up the 'Safely Remove Hardware' option, from which you can then remove the desired device.

It doesn't change my life all that much, but it sure makes is simpler.

Although I usually just end up yanking the thumb drive out when the pretty lights on it stop blinking. I haven't had any lost data yet.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
[No No]
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I also use the yank out method with my Ipod, no problems yet.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I've had a problem taking it out without the "safely remove" thing was when I removed my external HDD. I don't want to repeat that.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
But I'm utterly embarrassed that it never occurred to me to check.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
The primary purpose for the Safely Remove option is for external storage (And more specifically, external magnetic drives, which can head crash if they are powered by USB and that power suddenly disappears). If you yank the cable while the drive is writing/reading data, it can cause big problems. That said, I've never used it myself. Mostly cause I've never used external magnetic storage [Big Grin]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a flash that over the course of a given day will get yanked unceremoniously out of five or six usb ports. I been using it for over a year now.

They're different than ferromagnetic platters in the way they store the data so you don't have to be as careful with them. Of course, at the same time, still have a regularly updated backup copy of what lives on your flash drive because the medium being more stable has led to a 45707% increase in the steponabbility, losability, leavonbusability, leaveinpantspocketsduringlaundrydayability, and
snapoffinportability of the data storage unit.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
leaveinpantspocketsduringlaundrydayability

I did this to one Jump drive like 3 times and it kept working. Then it reached its losability limitations.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
The primary purpose for the Safely Remove option is for external storage (And more specifically, external magnetic drives, which can head crash if they are powered by USB and that power suddenly disappears). If you yank the cable while the drive is writing/reading data, it can cause big problems. That said, I've never used it myself. Mostly cause I've never used external magnetic storage [Big Grin]

Back in the good(?) old days of floppies, you didn't eject the disk when the light was on. That was what the light was for. It was never that hard. I hate the amount of mother-may-I that I have to play with computers.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.